Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

FPS Issues even with a GTX 970?

jdagosti99_ESO
jdagosti99_ESO
Soul Shriven
I am seeing people with worse graphics cards than mine run ESO at a steady 60FPS on Ultra High, but for me if I go into a town it immediately drops to like 35-37 FPS, and it's noticeable and awfully annoying. I have a GTX 970, with an i7-2600 CPU, I was just wondering if there's anything anyone can tell me to make my frames stay steady at 60 FPS.
  • SapphireThunder
    It is impossible. And the performance has been only going down with each patch.
    That is why I quit playing. Not playing until they have properly optimized the game.
  • Cadelay
    Cadelay
    ✭✭✭
    I also have a banging computer with a 970, i7 processor, plenty of RAM. I run at max settings.

My FPS drops to 1-2 in pvp with groups as small as 6 people. Why? I don't know. I should be running this game with absolutely no issues.
  • SkylarkAU
    SkylarkAU
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cadelay wrote: »
    I also have a banging computer with a 970, i7 processor, plenty of RAM. I run at max settings.

My FPS drops to 1-2 in pvp with groups as small as 6 people. Why? I don't know. I should be running this game with absolutely no issues.

Pretty much the same setup.. I've resorted to turning everything except textures to low, stuff like shadows and effects to off, turned down particles and view distance, and uninstalled pretty much every add on I have.. This still only gives me about 15-20 fps in heavy pvp :#
    Skylärk // v16 Stamina DK (AvA 23)
    Elizabeth Skylark // v16 Magicka Sorc (AvA 29)
    Tauriel Skylark // v16 Stamina NB (AvA 12)
    Alexander Skylark // v2 Magicka Templar
    Terra Australis XI // v2 Magicka DK
    Nocturnal | RÀGE
    << PC/NA/AD >>

Youtube
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    FPS drops are quite normal, I have 4,0 Ghz CPU, GTX 970, 16GB RAM (game installed on SSD) and still have fps drops.

My texture settings are on high, sliders to minimum (except view distance) and the optional settings are all turned off. The biggest improvement came from reducing the view distance to around 30. Only a couple add-ons installed (FTC, Wykkyd, Master Merchant, Srendarr) this somewhat reduces the long loading screens.

In pve I can easily run everything on max settings but its a disaster in pvp so I have to settle for average graphics.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Cadelay
    Cadelay
    ✭✭✭
    FPS drops are quite normal, I have 4,0 Ghz CPU, GTX 970, 16GB RAM (game installed on SSD) and still have fps drops.

My texture settings are on high, sliders to minimum (except view distance) and the optional settings are all turned off. The biggest improvement came from reducing the view distance to around 30. Only a couple add-ons installed (FTC, Wykkyd, Master Merchant, Srendarr) this somewhat reduces the long loading screens.

In pve I can easily run everything on max settings but its a disaster in pvp so I have to settle for average graphics.

I shouldn't have to reduce my view distance at all. My computer is able to handle completely maxed settings and run cool.

This is a problem with the client or the game not utilizing resources acceptably.
  • Kronuxx
    Kronuxx
    ✭✭✭✭
    I too have a very good set up (can run witcher 3 on almost all max settings at 1440 p) and if I am outside of any building my FPS drops to 30-40 fps which I find completely unacceptable as well.
  • jdagosti99_ESO
    jdagosti99_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    It's just annoying that I paid all this $$$ to upgrade my computer so I can run everything on max settings and I still can't do it because this game is very un-optimized.
  • LAVREZ
    LAVREZ
    Soul Shriven
    Edited by LAVREZ on October 20, 2015 10:03AM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am seeing people with worse graphics cards than mine run ESO at a steady 60FPS on Ultra High, but for me if I go into a town it immediately drops to like 35-37 FPS, and it's noticeable and awfully annoying. I have a GTX 970, with an i7-2600 CPU, I was just wondering if there's anything anyone can tell me to make my frames stay steady at 60 FPS.
    S.E.A.R.C.H.

It has nothing to do with your computer and everything to do with the crappy client/server implementation of TESO.
    shades.gif
  • Xeven
    Xeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    S.E.A.R.C.H.

It has nothing to do with your computer and everything to do with the crappy client/server implementation of TESO.
    shades.gif

Agreed. GTX980 + 4790K. Basically the best consumer grade gaming graphics card and processor combo you can get. It plays everything on the highest settings smooth as silk with steady 80 fps plus. With ESO I'm lucky if I get 30-40 in a modest sized battle.
  • Oh_Skrivva
    Oh_Skrivva
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. It's not hardware issues. I'm running 2 gtx 980 ti's, i i7 core, 32 gigs and even with fiber optics I still get spikes.
    Costco member

Message brought to you by Cat Queefs Emporium
  • Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a issue about the core usage of the game and not really about your rig. Believe me, most people are experiencing this as well. It's especially bad at crowded areas like Stormhaven (for the Daggerfall Convenant) or in Cyrodiil.
    4790k and GTX980ti.
    Susano'o

Zerg Squad
  • Galbsadi
    Galbsadi
    ✭✭✭
    I'm running ESO on a notebook with a GTX 670MX...and in the process of trying to fix the loading screen issues I was having before (particularly in Cyrodiil)...I installed a memory cleaner...figured "hey, it can't hurt, and if it does nothing, nbd"

...this has stabilized both framerates and my loadscreen issues. Simply put, ESO has a memory leak.
  • Deheart
    Deheart
    ✭✭✭
    GTX 970

Random FPS drops

I found that it helps massively to completely disable shadow. get regular 40-60 fps without shadows, 1-30 with.

Im waiting for the next Nvidia update. Hoping it will fix the problems zos has. LOL
    As a casual player I was satisfied that at one point I had a char max level and near max crafting with almost all motifs and I pretty much lost interest. Then ESO discovered DLC's and now my main is just a wanabe and I am happily pulled back into the game.
  • uso245
    uso245
    ✭✭✭
    I also have a GTX 970 and can confirm that turning shadows from Ultra to Medium alone increases fps by 10+.
    My Facebook Page
    My Youtube Channel
    (DC NA Megaserver) Beta Tester
    My Twitter
    Art of Death
    Fate Stay Night

Member since February 2014
    l
    Strategist/Tactician
  • uso245
    uso245
    ✭✭✭
    Going from Ultra shadows being around 25-30 fps to jumping to 35-41 at that is from testing inside the sewers around the home camp area and using dodge roll with camera pan to see if any abrupt changes.
    My Facebook Page
    My Youtube Channel
    My Twitter
    Art of Death
    Fate Stay Night

l
    Strategist/Tactician
  • uso245
    uso245
    ✭✭✭
    Tested in Sewers and Wayrest, Stormhaven and get the modest rates stated above and open Cyrodiil I get around 20+ fps sitting around 50+
    My Facebook Page
    My Youtube Channel
    My Twitter
    Art of Death
    Fate Stay Night

l
    Strategist/Tactician
  • OrphanHelgen
    OrphanHelgen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yep same here
    PC, EU server, Ebonheart Pact

Finally a reason not to play League of Legends
  • kimaeril
    kimaeril
    ✭✭✭
    I'm having issues in dungeons where I can go from 64 fps down to 9 and then back up to 64. It's really frustrating and makes playing unbearable. My system can more than handle the game, but these last few patches have caused me issues. I've been trying to troubleshoot but haven't had any success. I'm getting around 35 fps in the cities and wilderness although it's still looking ok and not interfering with game play, it's the dungeons that are really messing me up.
  • Keepercraft
    Keepercraft
    ✭✭✭
    Turn off addons....
    Still waiting for Sithis.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I second this. I experimented with everything right after buying a new GTX 750, and View Distance had the biggest impact by far.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Runicus
    Turn off addons....

No. Doesn't change a thing.
  • Runicus
    Cadelay wrote: »

To those having these issues, check this thread:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/198248/why-does-my-fps-seem-to-directly-impact-my-ping
    The main thread is the rendering thread on OSX.

The Main thread processes all user input once per frame.
    After that tasks are spawn off for processing across other thread (cores) as much as possible.
    When the main thread is ready to draw things it picks up all the data from the other thread (cores)
    aka synchronizes everything.
    Next the main thread draws the frame and waits for the GPU before moving on to the next frame.

So your user input... gets processed once per frame and then sent to a server on a network thread.
    Then the server sends data back.. this gets synchronized at the main thread at some future frame
    and then applied to the world.

So your useable ping time or user input time is FPS based.

>What gives? Are you only allowing the computer to talk to the server on a per-frame basis? If so, why?

So yes the user input etc is per frame based.

The actual network sending and receiving does happen in the back ground on dedicated threads
    and would have a proper network ping time.

I have the exact same problem with a potent Alienware system and I think most of us have been looking at it the wrong way. I've checked a bunch of forums entries and everyone is talking video cards and RAM but that's not the issue I believe. My machine started having FPS problem about the same time as my ping turned yellow and hit 150 or more. At that point the FPS dropped dramatically.

It seems FPS is actually tied into the ping rate and I would not be surprised to see that those who have beast machines with low FPS also happen to have poor ping. Those two are apparently connected.

This moves the conversation to ping then and even so it seems the problem persists regardless of your badass ISP. My feeling is that the issue is server side lag causing a high ping on the client which then causes low FPS and slow loading screens.

One thing that seems sure now is that the problem is wide ranging, impacting many high end machines regardless of setup, addons or ISP. There is only one thing common to all those people: the server.
  • ZOS_MollyH
    Greetings,

If you are experiencing issues with a high ping time or performance issues, please try the following initial troubleshooting steps to ensure your connection is opened for ESO. Once you have completed these steps, if you continue to have trouble, please submit a ticket to our customer support team including a game consultant report.

The Game Consultant contains a pathping and a traceroute which can help us locate any specific points of packet loss or consistency across the way you each connect to our servers. This can help our engineers narrow down investigation into these issues.

We apologize for any repeat of steps, but for the sake of keeping it all in one place, this is the troubleshooting we have available on how to open up your connection for ESO:
    Add exceptions to your Antivirus suite and Firewall

Each antivirus program is different and we recommend that players view the antivirus developer's website for full instructions on how to add exceptions.

The application files that may require exceptions are:

Bethesda.net_launcher: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\Launcher
    North American megaserver ESO.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso.exe
    European megaserver ESO.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\The Elder Scrolls Online EU\game\client\eso.exe

Some antivirus programs require entire folders to be selected instead of a single file.When this is the case, the file paths below are what players should use. If required by the anti-virus program, include all subfolders since every file is critical to run the game.

North American megaserver: C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\
    European megaserver: C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online EU\

Open your outpound ports for ESO traffic

To best access The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited, you should configure you routers to open the following outbound ports:

PC / Mac Ports
    TCP / UDP Ports 24100 through 24131
    TCP / UDP Ports 24500 through 24507
    TCP / UDP Ports 24300 through 24331
    TCP Port 80
    TCP Port 433

If you have any questions about the port forwarding process, you should contact your Internet Service Provider or router manufacturer for additional assistance.

Try switching from a Wi-Fi or Wireless connection to using a direct Ethernet cable connection

By default, computers prioritize a wired connection if an ethernet cable is connected. If you wish to switch back and reconnect to a WiFi/wireless network:

Open Control Panel.
    Go to Network and Internet.
    Open the Network and Sharing Center.
    Select Connect to a network.
    If a wireless network is available, players should be able to connect.
    If needed, select Troubleshoot problems for further assistance.

For more one-on-one support, please be sure to submit a help ticket at https://help.elderscrollsonline.com for one of our agents to look through more detailed information about your connection and system to see if we can rule out the most common causes and resolutions while we're investigating this issue.

Thanks again for your patience!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Skorol007
    Skorol007
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_MollyH wrote: »
    Greetings,

If you are experiencing issues with a high ping time or performance issues, please try the following initial troubleshooting steps to ensure your connection is opened for ESO. Once you have completed these steps, if you continue to have trouble, please submit a ticket to our customer support team including a game consultant report.

The Game Consultant contains a pathping and a traceroute which can help us locate any specific points of packet loss or consistency across the way you each connect to our servers. This can help our engineers narrow down investigation into these issues.

We apologize for any repeat of steps, but for the sake of keeping it all in one place, this is the troubleshooting we have available on how to open up your connection for ESO:
    Add exceptions to your Antivirus suite and Firewall

Each antivirus program is different and we recommend that players view the antivirus developer's website for full instructions on how to add exceptions.

The application files that may require exceptions are:

Bethesda.net_launcher: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\Launcher
    North American megaserver ESO.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso.exe
    European megaserver ESO.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\The Elder Scrolls Online EU\game\client\eso.exe

Some antivirus programs require entire folders to be selected instead of a single file.When this is the case, the file paths below are what players should use. If required by the anti-virus program, include all subfolders since every file is critical to run the game.

North American megaserver: C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\
    European megaserver: C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online EU\

Open your outpound ports for ESO traffic

To best access The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited, you should configure you routers to open the following outbound ports:

PC / Mac Ports
    TCP / UDP Ports 24100 through 24131
    TCP / UDP Ports 24500 through 24507
    TCP / UDP Ports 24300 through 24331
    TCP Port 80
    TCP Port 433

If you have any questions about the port forwarding process, you should contact your Internet Service Provider or router manufacturer for additional assistance.

Try switching from a Wi-Fi or Wireless connection to using a direct Ethernet cable connection

By default, computers prioritize a wired connection if an ethernet cable is connected. If you wish to switch back and reconnect to a WiFi/wireless network:

Open Control Panel.
    Go to Network and Internet.
    Open the Network and Sharing Center.
    Select Connect to a network.
    If a wireless network is available, players should be able to connect.
    If needed, select Troubleshoot problems for further assistance.

For more one-on-one support, please be sure to submit a help ticket at https://help.elderscrollsonline.com for one of our agents to look through more detailed information about your connection and system to see if we can rule out the most common causes and resolutions while we're investigating this issue.

Thanks again for your patience!

I am sorry but this has got nothing to do with our internet connection...
  • ZOS_MollyH
    Hi @Skorol007 since it was mentioned that some connection had been made between FPS and ping, we wanted to provide steps to troubleshoot that as a potential cause.

We are gathering information to investigate this issue. If you can please provide your ticket numbers that you have submitted to customer support and make sure that the following information is included in your ticket we can forward the information to our developers for deeper investigation.

If you have not yet submitted a ticket (regardless of receiving a response yet) please do so now at https://help.elderscrollsonline.com and include the answers to the following in your ticket, and then please let us know your ticket number.

Ticket Number:
    Where does your framerate drop in game? Is it in a consistent location?
    When does the FPS drop? Is it immediately, or after being logged in for a length of time?
    Does this affect all of your characters on your account, or just a single one? If just one, what is the character's name?
    Include a Game Consultant report and MSInfo report with your ticket - do not post it here in your reply
    What GPU are you using, and what driver version are you running? Have you tried other driver versions?
    Are you using any overlay programs - such as SweetFX or the XBox overlay on Win10?
    What Addons are you using, and does the FPS drop persist after fully removing them all?
    What graphics quality are you running? Low, Medium, High, Ultra?

Thank you for your patience, and we hope to have more information to provide soon!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • AtmaDarkwolf
    AtmaDarkwolf
    ✭✭✭
    Ok followed all the advice from both others and the zenimax crew here. And i'd be happy if I could pull a 15-20 fps in pvp.

Right now it drops. EVERY time to 1-5 fps. I am not kidding.

Changing all settings to the lowest possible setting = NO resulting difference, same fps drops to dirt low.

Disable all addons, no change.

reinstall game(REALLY sick of doing this, already overcapped my bandwidth use re downloading that huge freaking thing AGAIN, STOP SUGGESTING THIS, wouldn't be so bad if I could download the entire install file and park it somewhere, but as it is to 'make sure the files are not corrupt' a re-download is about the only thing to do. And it does NOT HELP.)

No matter what, fps WILL drop to 1-5 when in ANY 'medium to large' scale pvp battle (IE: 5 on 5, 10v 10, whatever) it makes the game unplayable, and I end up feeling like a useless tool in cyro.

I am sure people are going to suggest I need an upgrade. After spending what I did to build a rig that can eat GTAV at ultra settings without any hitch, I would suggest that that is NOT the issue.

i7 4790k, 32gigs ram, dual GTX 980ti's in SLI, on a hero VII board. My HARDWARE isn't the issue. Nor is the chance of 'virus or malware' since 1: the system was just put together, and I am very careful about what I'm doing online, and 2: scans are run daily by 4 seperate anti malware programs(malwarebytes, spybot, etc) and I have a up to date anti virus (which also does antimalware too) bit defender.

I have heard others, with lower end systems, who have NO issues with pvp(Maybe the odd stutter during large engagements, but for the most part, I am the only one who has his dps drop to such abysmal values)

Please zenimax, find a fix. (Also your ticket system needs an upgrade, or a way to access it a LOT easier)
  • Runicus
    Ok followed all the advice from both others and the zenimax crew here. And i'd be happy if I could pull a 15-20 fps in pvp.

Right now it drops. EVERY time to 1-5 fps. I am not kidding.

Changing all settings to the lowest possible setting = NO resulting difference, same fps drops to dirt low.

Disable all addons, no change.

reinstall game(REALLY sick of doing this, already overcapped my bandwidth use re downloading that huge freaking thing AGAIN, STOP SUGGESTING THIS, wouldn't be so bad if I could download the entire install file and park it somewhere, but as it is to 'make sure the files are not corrupt' a re-download is about the only thing to do. And it does NOT HELP.)

No matter what, fps WILL drop to 1-5 when in ANY 'medium to large' scale pvp battle (IE: 5 on 5, 10v 10, whatever) it makes the game unplayable, and I end up feeling like a useless tool in cyro.

I am sure people are going to suggest I need an upgrade. After spending what I did to build a rig that can eat GTAV at ultra settings without any hitch, I would suggest that that is NOT the issue.

i7 4790k, 32gigs ram, dual GTX 980ti's in SLI, on a hero VII board. My HARDWARE isn't the issue. Nor is the chance of 'virus or malware' since 1: the system was just put together, and I am very careful about what I'm doing online, and 2: scans are run daily by 4 seperate anti malware programs(malwarebytes, spybot, etc) and I have a up to date anti virus (which also does antimalware too) bit defender.

I have heard others, with lower end systems, who have NO issues with pvp(Maybe the odd stutter during large engagements, but for the most part, I am the only one who has his dps drop to such abysmal values)

Please zenimax, find a fix. (Also your ticket system needs an upgrade, or a way to access it a LOT easier)

I cannot agree more with Darkwolf. I too am sick and tired of hearing people recommend kindergarden solutions. As if Antiviruses had anything to do and as if us, hardcore players, were not checking our driver updates on a daily basis. We know our gear, we know our ping, we customize our machines and we're good at it. It's not the firewall, it's not the RAM, it's not our beasty video cards and it's not our internet. Let's try to elevate the discussion to a higher form of cognitition and for the sake of conversation let's roleplay as if we are all computer engineers (which is about what I am).

The problem appears to be when there are other players in the zone. I was (trying to) playing today and the FPS would swing from 50+ down to 8 backup to low 20s, back up to 50 etc.... depending if there are players in the area. The behavior patterns are distinctly linked to in-game activity server-client dialogue. Oh and by the way... this started happening right after IC patch and this is beyond coincidence. Same with falling through world and long load screens, all started with IC patch. Someone must have changed something on sync algorithm or TCP/IP comms or similar.

Heck...ZOS guys need to ask why getting into the character selection screen takes over a minute. Character selection screen! Also, ask yourselves why, after loading the character, FPS is zero and ping is 400 to 1600. Why textures don't update even when standing right in front of them and why world objects take forever to load. Going to the bank (which is full of other players) makes it pretty clear the problem is hard coded in the game. I stand in front of the bank guy and wait 20, 30 seconds before he even appears. Same with the interface by the way which is painfully slow.

I know ZOS data center is in Texas so I ran a bunch of speedtest.net in Austin, Houston and bunch of others. Ping is between 60 to 90 max on 12 tests. This would put the server overhead in the 100+ ms ...that's pretty big. Traceroute and ping analysis along the path show zero problem no matter what IP address I ping in Texas so I can only assume the drag is caused by the server.
  • uso245
    uso245
    ✭✭✭
    Turn off addons....

The main issue which ZoS has acknowledged and said they're planning on making a "ban-list" for addons around Orsinium which constantly ping the server for information causing random drops in fps and spikes latency according to them.
    My Facebook Page
    My Youtube Channel
    My Twitter
    Art of Death
    Fate Stay Night

l
    Strategist/Tactician
  • Tinolyn
    Tinolyn
    ✭✭✭
    uso245 wrote: »
    Turn off addons....

The main issue which ZoS has acknowledged and said they're planning on making a "ban-list" for addons around Orsinium which constantly ping the server for information causing random drops in fps and spikes latency according to them.

That doesn't solve the problem for those of us who don't use addons at all.