Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Alchemy hireling

Ackwalan
Ackwalan
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Why is alchemy the only trade skill without a hireling.
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »

Good question. I think the main reason is that Alchemy ingredients are supposedly easier to obtain than some of the other crafts. Like provisioning where some recipes require Tomatos and Oats, only available through a hireling.

However, it seems that it's getting more difficult to find some of the Alchemy ingredients as well. I swear they nerfed Mountain Flower nodes but perhaps I'm just having a string of bad luck trying to find it :)

• AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ashtaris wrote: »
    Ackwalan wrote: »

Good question. I think the main reason is that Alchemy ingredients are supposedly easier to obtain than some of the other crafts. Like provisioning where some recipes require Tomatos and Oats, only available through a hireling.

However, it seems that it's getting more difficult to find some of the Alchemy ingredients as well. I swear they nerfed Mountain Flower nodes but perhaps I'm just having a string of bad luck trying to find it :)

Mountain flower has been spread out more, it now appears in places it didn't used to, but that just means you have a harder time finding it (I'm finding it by accident, in places that used not to have it).
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • HaljaNifheim
    HaljaNifheim
    ✭✭
    The main reasons is there are no Superior (blue), Artifact (purple), or Legendary (gold) materials at this time. Level is drive solely from the water. That is one of core benefits to hirelings for the other professions. You get the advance item or you get the common. everything is common for Alchemy.

That said, it would be a boon to reduce some of the need for gathering if Alchemy had a hirelings.
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alchemy needs a Hireling.
  • daswahnsinn
    daswahnsinn
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to see green/blue/purple/gold potions in the future versus having a white potion be the top tri-pot. Not asking or saying we need strong potions just a color system like weapons, armor, etc. I made a green potion that stunned things but when making a tri-pot it's this white. Maybe I'm asking too much, lol.
    | | daswahnsinn | Vet 16 Nord Dragon Knight | Bow/Dual Wield/Two-Handed Sword| DPS | | Warrior of the EbonHeart Pact | |
  • gilandbb14_ESO
    I remember when this came up last time they said they wanted different crafting lines to be slighting different than each other.
    So you have the 3 equipment craftings (blacksmith, clothier, woodworker), then you have the 3 consumption craftings (enchanting, provisions, alchemy) and the 3 consumption crafts are all different from each other and different from equipment. Enchanting is the only one that can break things up, provisioning requires hireling for rare mats, alchemy is quick temp buffs.
    I wouldn't mind a little tweaking to them maybe, but I don't think they need to be carbon copies either. All rare mats do is make the item made with them a requirement. The common becomes not good enough.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Part of my reaction to the idea of an alchemy hireling is simply 'argh'; I work and have a life, and with my characters getting deliveries from other hirelings, it would just be overwhelming. The second reaction is that alchemy is just not that useful (and I'm comparing it to Morrowind here). Trying to hit Q in between backing away and not getting killed mostly doesn't work; I end up accumulating potions that I mean to use (healing & stamina buffs mostly) and as for the spell and damage criticals - I'd have to use them before the fight to effectively use them - and with a 10 second duration, it's not workable. So I do alchemy for the role playing of it, not because it's all that useful to me in game.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Rayste
    Rayste
    ✭✭✭
    The main reasons is there are no Superior (blue), Artifact (purple), or Legendary (gold) materials at this time. Level is drive solely from the water. That is one of core benefits to hirelings for the other professions. You get the advance item or you get the common. everything is common for Alchemy.

That said, it would be a boon to reduce some of the need for gathering if Alchemy had a hirelings.

It would be nice if they sent us a certain amount of reagents based upon water level acquired.
    The Teach - AD Templar
  • AngharadEld
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    Part of my reaction to the idea of an alchemy hireling is simply 'argh'; I work and have a life, and with my characters getting deliveries from other hirelings, it would just be overwhelming. The second reaction is that alchemy is just not that useful (and I'm comparing it to Morrowind here). Trying to hit Q in between backing away and not getting killed mostly doesn't work; I end up accumulating potions that I mean to use (healing & stamina buffs mostly) and as for the spell and damage criticals - I'd have to use them before the fight to effectively use them - and with a 10 second duration, it's not workable. So I do alchemy for the role playing of it, not because it's all that useful to me in game.

One of my guys (PS4) only has me make the tri-pot potion (bugloss,columbine,moutain flower) and just uses that. Covers all his bases and he doesn't have to try and mess with changing potions in the middle of a fight. I don't feel like the mechanic to switch potions on the PS4 is smooth, at all. So I do my best to just make one potion that suits most of my needs and never deviate.
  • Yusuf
    Yusuf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow this thread is old.
    However, things have changed and the old logic that was used to exclude Alchemy from hirelings can't be applied anymore.
    The logic was because all other crafts had rare materials that would you could almost exclusively get from a hireling (remember tomatoes and oats?) or golden tempers or aspect runes.

Some time after 1.6 or 2.0 they changed things however and made it so you would have to get golden tempers from daily writs and the hirelings are more or less only there to supply you with general mats.

According to that logic i think they should really put an alchemy-hireling into the game.
  • Tectonaut
    Tectonaut
    ✭✭✭
    The alchemist made potions are soo much better than the usual ones found laying around. The potions I make last marginially longer than the potion cooldown.

I would prefer a hireling over snakeblood any day.
  • Rayste
    Rayste
    ✭✭✭
    Yusuf wrote: »
    Wow this thread is old.
    However, things have changed and the old logic that was used to exclude Alchemy from hirelings can't be applied anymore.
    The logic was because all other crafts had rare materials that would you could almost exclusively get from a hireling (remember tomatoes and oats?) or golden tempers or aspect runes.

Some time after 1.6 or 2.0 they changed things however and made it so you would have to get golden tempers from daily writs and the hirelings are more or less only there to supply you with general mats.

According to that logic i think they should really put an alchemy-hireling into the game.

Agreed. Yes I did a necro because I was thinking about the issue one day and was like ... why not?
    The Teach - AD Templar
  • M21112
    M21112
    admin
    wish we had an alchemy hireling
  • ZOS_Volpe
    ZOS_Volpe
    admin
    Greetings,

As this thread was originally created in 2014 and the information contained within may longer be relevant to the game, we decided to close it down. In many cases, it's better to create a new thread on a topic that you want to discuss as opposed to bumping one that is rather old.

Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.