The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Don't get the Stamina vs Magicka build ideas..

Hekx
Hekx
Or rather I do get what the difference is but..
I want to build a Nightblade, I want him to use dual wielding (maybe 2 handed) and a bow. Haze zero interest in using a staff. This would suggest I go Stamina
But if I put all my points into Stamina- aren't my NB skills pretty much all based off Magicka?

So if I follow the suggestions, and level up with all my points into Stamina and a few in health, aren't all those fun and cool NB skills (like the executes, heals etc) going to be pretty much useless?
Conversely if I go against all advice I can find, and put my skills into magicka , -from what I've read- it seems I'm gimping my Dual wielding/bow.
And it seems if I split the points between Sta and Mag, I'm gimping both skill lines...

Basically I guess I'm asking- if I put all my points into Sta, are the NB skills (assassination etc) going to still do enough damage to be worth using? Or not.
(Purely for PVE if it matters, I'll worry about PVP after I figure out how to play the game...)
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally speaking your melee weapon skills are based on stamina...you indicated you wanted to duel wield. If you look at the skill line all the DW attacks cost stamina, as with bow attacks. If you are interested in building a stamina nightblade, then I suggest checking out these resources to get you started:

http://deltiasgaming.com/category/eso-guides/class-guide/nightblade-class-guide-for-elder-scrolls-online/

Edited by Makkir on September 30, 2015 12:08AM
  • Chanman23
    Chanman23
    I have wondered this same thing with my dragon knight. If I put all stats into stam, then I have super powerful weapon and stam morphed stats (but only a few of those switch to stam in a morph) and if i dump all into magic, then my weapon skills are gimped, but I have good class skills. But If I do both, then Im just not good enough to compete with other players apparently. So is there no way to have weapon and class skills? Do I have to pick between the two?
  • Chanman23
    Chanman23
    Hekx wrote: »
    (Purely for PVE if it matters, I'll worry about PVP after I figure out how to play the game...)

Haha i also agree with this :) lol
  • mklundub17_ESO
    mklundub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    You have to choose one or the other to maximize damage, but either way you can still use skills of the opposite resource pool for defensive, support or buffs. Also, a lot of the info you were reading is outdated, magicka nightblade is OP right now.
    Mass Terror
    PS4 | NA | AD
    v16 Imperial Templar
  • Chanman23
    Chanman23
    So, if I chose stam, i would focus my damage on my stam abilities because the damage scales with max stam, and leave the supports to magic? and vice versa?
  • Scyantific
    Scyantific
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chanman23 wrote: »
    So, if I chose stam, i would focus my damage on my stam abilities because the damage scales with max stam, and leave the supports to magic? and vice versa?

Pretty much, yeah.
  • terrordactyl1971
    terrordactyl1971
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try both and see which YOU like, it's easy enough to respec afterwards.
    Edited by terrordactyl1971 on September 30, 2015 8:50AM
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thankfully for you, NB has the games best stamina morphs in their class trees. Shadow has Surprise attack, assasination has Killers blade...there are a few others, but check out the morphs, they are based of stamina.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chanman23 wrote: »
    I have wondered this same thing with my dragon knight. If I put all stats into stam, then I have super powerful weapon and stam morphed stats (but only a few of those switch to stam in a morph) and if i dump all into magic, then my weapon skills are gimped, but I have good class skills. But If I do both, then Im just not good enough to compete with other players apparently. So is there no way to have weapon and class skills? Do I have to pick between the two?
    Ehem ..Destruction staff and Restoration staff are also weapons ^^

Back in the days all class abilities were magicka based, and they changed that to some class skills for each class is now stamina based. The majority of skills is still magicka based though, for some reason this game has a heavy bias toward magicka builds.

If you prefer a stamina build, you will gain less from using class skills. Make sure you look up and find out which skills that morph into stamina based ones, and lvl those up :3
  • Gorilla
    Gorilla
    ✭✭✭
    Was just about to post a similar thread so here goes:

I am hitting lvl 50 and have tried a few classes. It seems to me that stamina builds can work with almost any class...there seems to be a lot of overlap. The classes (and to a degree races) give them a little extra flavor.

The classes on the surface look very different, but outside of pro min/maxers in PVE (super raiders) and top PVP, the classes have enough flexibility to play almost any role. Eg, a NB tank may not be as good as a DK, but the greatest variability is likely in the player not the class differences.

I may be oversimplifying but I rather like this aspect.
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a 'Stamina NB' and whilst some of the class skills start off as Magicka, they can be morphed to be run off Stamina and for my playstyle they're better suited than the corresponding Magicka morphs.

I use DW/2h and Bow (all Stamina) and only have 3 skills that run off Magicka (Cloak, Mark and Swallow Soul) but these are used so infrequently that I'm never short even when spamming SS when my Stamina runs out.

The only way that I can invisage putting more than 3 attribute points in to Magicka and still use DW is if you either:
    A) want to use a Staff for range over Bow
    B ) prefer to use the Magicka morphs over Stamina

In either case, you'd want either:
    A) roughly 30/70 attribute points in Magicka/Stamina with Magicka glyphs
    B ) 50/50 and Stamina glyphs
    Edited by Sunburnt_Penguin on September 30, 2015 11:36AM
  • TheBull
    TheBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorilla wrote: »
    Was just about to post a similar thread so here goes:

I am hitting lvl 50 and have tried a few classes. It seems to me that stamina builds can work with almost any class...there seems to be a lot of overlap. The classes (and to a degree races) give them a little extra flavor.

The classes on the surface look very different, but outside of pro min/maxers in PVE (super raiders) and top PVP, the classes have enough flexibility to play almost any role. Eg, a NB tank may not be as good as a DK, but the greatest variability is likely in the player not the class differences.

I may be oversimplifying but I rather like this aspect.

You nailed it.
  • MrTarkanian48
    MrTarkanian48
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hekx wrote: »
    Or rather I do get what the difference is but..
    I want to build a Nightblade, I want him to use dual wielding (maybe 2 handed) and a bow. Haze zero interest in using a staff. This would suggest I go Stamina
    But if I put all my points into Stamina- aren't my NB skills pretty much all based off Magicka?

So if I follow the suggestions, and level up with all my points into Stamina and a few in health, aren't all those fun and cool NB skills (like the executes, heals etc) going to be pretty much useless?
    Conversely if I go against all advice I can find, and put my skills into magicka , -from what I've read- it seems I'm gimping my Dual wielding/bow.
    And it seems if I split the points between Sta and Mag, I'm gimping both skill lines...

Basically I guess I'm asking- if I put all my points into Sta, are the NB skills (assassination etc) going to still do enough damage to be worth using? Or not.

Stamina NB: Put most if not all attributes into Stamina (maybe some health). Take all the stamina morphs available (Surprise Attack, Killers Blade, maybe Power Extraction even thou Sap essence is an ok magic dump when you have excess) Then use your support magicka abilities as needed but don't spam them excessively (Dark Cloak, Double Take, Grim Focus, Shadow Image, Crripling Grasp, Mark Target). All ultimates in class abilities scale to your max stat (Mag or Stam) so these are equally effective on a magicka or stam build and can be used effectively. The only ability that I can think of that just doesnt really have a use on a stamblade is funnel health/swallow soul and probably Refreshing Path since it will be very weak. The strength of a Stamina NB is the weapon skill trees. Steel Tornado on DW, Momentum and Wrecking Blow on 2H, Poison Injection and Lethal Arrow/Focused Aim on the Bow. Also another strength is the use of medium armor which gives better armor rating than light armor and has a ton of great stamina passives. Stamina NB weakness are healing, but this can be helped with Rally (Morph of Momentum) on 2H, or getting Vigor at assault rank 5 in PVP.

A Magicka NB has the luxury of using more of the class abilities, but does not have access to alot of the stronger weapon abilities. They also wear light armor to maximize magicka use, but have less armor. They get more healing out of the siphoning tree, and can also use a restoration staff effectively.
    Wood Elf Stam NB (PVP)
    Redguard Stam Sorc (PVP)
    Altmer NB (DPS)
    Imperial DK (Tank)
    Redguard DK (DPS)
    Altmer Templar (Healer)

EP - PS4
  • Gnomes30
    Gnomes30
    If stam spec'd NB players are putting all their level points into stam, doesn't their health bar remain so small as to be unable to take a couple of big hits before they die? Kinda means you gotta spend your time dodging, rolling and kiting and not enough time getting your own snipes off. Maybe it's my poor fight skills. I have balanced my lvl 40 archer 50/30/20 (st/hp/mg/) so far. Hope I haven't got this wrong. Don't have time to lvl another character.