Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crown Store Character Slots - When?

Jakhajay
Jakhajay
✭✭✭✭
When will we be getting these? I and many altaholics has been screaming out for them for well over a year. A second account will simply not cut it.

I would easily be willing to pay 1000 crowns per character slot.
Sh'ira - One Eyed Tihm - Do'Mazar - Dar'Sol - Hazzahn - J'darr Sun-Arrow - Bishabi -J'manna - Narim Tollana - Abijah-Ra - Idhassi-Ko - Kajhe the Salty - Ti'lani - Sabhan-Dar - Palamai
JakhajayAlt: Azala-Do - Saahni the Ohmes - S'aolla of the Darks - Zashima-La Ako'Zhajiit - Lo'Mai-Dro - Taheh-Do - Hrrula - Hatamira - Da'lai

Shield Anvil - Trake's Talons
Knight Praefect - Knights of the Steel Claw

All Khajiit, All the time!
For Elsweyr and her people!
  • EnglishDragon17
    EnglishDragon17
    ✭✭✭
    more than eight? os that not enough? I only have 1 character
  • Tessie
    Tessie
    ✭✭✭
    Reasons for having more than 1 (or 4 or 8 or 16 or 32) character slots
    • Role playing
    • Genders
    • Races
    • Magicka vs Stamina builds
    • Preference for getting XP (and additional CP) via solo PvE questing
    • Leveling alts with friends locks that alt to them, so you often need at least 1 alt per friend you're leveling with because schedules don't always align. Especially true of Rings of Mara.

Often this type of topic tries to answer the above by suggesting multiple accounts, deleting characters, or respec. So here's my reasons against those.

Reasons against other accounts:
    • Champion points aren't shared across accounts and our efforts become diluted
    • ESO+ benefits aren't shared across accounts
    • Inconvenient email, friend management, guild, inventory, bank

Reasons against deleting characters:
    • We become invested emotionally in our characters
    • We become invested materially in our characters (crown store upgrades, gold unlocks for inventory)
    • We become invested time wise due to time gated horse unlocks
    • We want to continue to be able to use them as crafters
    • I need to find room for all 170 of a character's inventory items before I can delete them, and then only gain back 60 slots once the new character is created

Reasons against respec
    • Race matters. Going from stamina to magicka but not having the racial bonuses appropriate
    • Appearance (I'll admit this one is petty, but I do it) I want my tanks to be big hulking characters and my casters to be diminutive.
    • Role play Also for those that role play, the gender and other design choices might not be aligned with their vision for the new character
    • You won't have unlocked all of the abilities you may otherwise have had if you'd of leveled the class that way
    • You miss the experience of learning the nuances of that build during the leveling process (think stamina vs magicka)
    • Your vampire or werewolf choices may not apply to the new playstyle
  • Tessie
    Tessie
    ✭✭✭

@EnglishDragon17
    What is your preferred playstyle? Do you have every crafting profession maxed and gather for all of them? How do you find enough inventory space for all of your crafting supplies?

• Eagleheart
    Eagleheart
    ✭✭
    Very well put, Tessie.
    As a fellow altholic, I completely agree. Especially for the playing with friends reason.
    Also, I'm the kind of guy that likes to try out every possible combination out there. With 8 I can't even have one character of every race.

If hieriling abuse is the problem, why not just limit hirelings per account?

I really want the option to have more characters, and yes I'd happily pay for it.
  • EnglishDragon17
    EnglishDragon17
    ✭✭✭
    Tessie wrote: »

@EnglishDragon17
    What is your preferred playstyle? Do you have every crafting profession maxed and gather for all of them? How do you find enough inventory space for all of your crafting supplies?

I dont craft, my crafting levels are all at 1 to 10. I just like exploring with one character, as for atributes i spread them out evenly
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't think I'd need any more than 8, but I do like playing around with stamina and magicka builds for each class to see which I prefer. Before you say "hurr reassign your attributes".. I wouldn't be getting the most out of the build because I'd probably go with a different race to accommodate the build.
    Creating alts also stops me from getting bored and allows me to level up with new friends that join the game. I don't have friends, but it'd be nice to have that option.
  • Tessie
    Tessie
    ✭✭✭

@EnglishDragon17
    I dont craft, my crafting levels are all at 1 to 10. I just like exploring with one character, as for atributes i spread them out evenly

@EnglishDragon17
    That's one of the great things about this game. There are so many different ways to play, and there isn't any wrong way. Different play styles have different needs. I don't suggest you should be an alt-aholic crafter like me.

People who craft have different needs than people who don't. We need characters to run writs, have hirelings, craft specialization, and storage for our materials. These are in addition to the items I listed above.
  • makeyurself
    makeyurself
    ✭✭✭
    PREACH Tessie...I am too hoping for this soon, I have 2 characters I would make today if this option was available. I agree with your points, I tried started new characters on my opposite server, but the disconnect just doesn't work for me, especially when it comes to crafting or sharing items/bank.

I hope this is something that is easily done from ZOS' side as I recall hearing someone explaining the technical side of adding more spaces may not be so. It would be great to get some more insight for sure.
    Xbox NA:
    • Soren Hawkheart- Breton Spellsword (DC) Sorcerer
    • Kaenan- Imperial Paladin (EP) Templar
    • Revan- Dunmer Vampire Inferno Mage (EP) Dragonknight
    • Faerandil- Altmer Sage (AD) Templar
    • Aureyna- Altmer Arcane Warrior (AD) Sorcerer
    • Aurthalion- Altme Battle Mage (AD) Sorcerer
    • Dahlek- Argonian Shadowmage/Shadowscale (AD) Nightblade
    • Callion- Breton Thief & Assassin (AD) Nightblade
    • Eldaran- Lore-breaking half-elf Elementalist, not of Nirn (DC) Dragonknight
    • Quenandir- Altmer Ranger (AD) Nighblade
    • Saelif- Breton/Altmer MG Adept (AD) Templar

• Jakhajay
    Jakhajay
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really well put, Tessie. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I also have 3 chars that I could make today if this was an option.

@EnglishDragon17
    After playing since launch, with 5 vet chars (3 at v16) and some lowbies for non-vet PVP, only 8 char slots is woefully inadequate. I split my crafting across 2 of them, I have 2 chars outside of the Dominion, and all of my chars I am invested in for the reasons Tessie described above.

You might have only one, but there are other folks who have many more and would love to make many more
    Sh'ira - One Eyed Tihm - Do'Mazar - Dar'Sol - Hazzahn - J'darr Sun-Arrow - Bishabi -J'manna - Narim Tollana - Abijah-Ra - Idhassi-Ko - Kajhe the Salty - Ti'lani - Sabhan-Dar - Palamai
    JakhajayAlt: Azala-Do - Saahni the Ohmes - S'aolla of the Darks - Zashima-La Ako'Zhajiit - Lo'Mai-Dro - Taheh-Do - Hrrula - Hatamira - Da'lai

• Tessie
    Tessie
    ✭✭✭
    @Jakhajay This topic hits close to home for me. I have multiple accounts, and learned that's not the way for me. And its so painful to delete them.

Some people worry about the technical implications of doing this. I don't see how it would be different that me having two accounts. It would actually be better for the system, as I'd only have one bank.

• Auricle
    Auricle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jakhajay wrote: »

Uh. You think it'd be that cheap? No way. 5k crowns at least. Probably more.

But, honestly, I don't think it's going to happen. The technical side of it would be a huge PITA.
  • Jakhajay
    Jakhajay
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Auricle
    5k crowns would be despair material. Almost 'Sod this I'm going back to STO' material. They better not make extra char slots worth more than DLC... Then again, some CS motifs....

• Tessie
    Tessie
    ✭✭✭
    Auricle wrote: »
    Jakhajay wrote: »

Uh. You think it'd be that cheap? No way. 5k crowns at least. Probably more.

But, honestly, I don't think it's going to happen. The technical side of it would be a huge PITA.

@Auricle
    What technical side of it do you think would be so difficult?

• NovaMarx
    NovaMarx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes please!! I want at least 3 more slots. I have one slot left as of now, and I am "afraid" to use it :tongue:
    "Feet are for walking. Hands are for hitting. Or shaking. Or waving. Sometimes for clapping."
    - M'aiq the Liar
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Auricle
    Well, for one thing, they'd need to plan for more storage space. In a server cluster infrastructure, this isn't simply throwing more HDDs into a case, there usually is a huge storage network (SAN) with its build-in redundancies (so HDDs would have to be added in multiples of N, where N > 2). Space (and time taken) for backups would need to be adjusted, too. The database schema would need to be expanded to accommodate more character slots per account, and every script working with that number would need to be re-adjusted and tested for correct function (no-one would like to see random characters dropped).

Please note, I wouldn't go as far as calling all of this a PITA. It is non-trivial, but manageable work, which needs expert planning and execution (but then again, what doesn't in this line of work?). If the beancounters in accounting calculate the projected revenue from offering more character slots to be greater than the projected costs of hardware and man-hours (for initial installation and ongoing maintenance) invested, this is very likely to happen. Some day. Probably soon(TM). ;)
  • Tessie
    Tessie
    ✭✭✭
    @Auricle
    Well, for one thing, they'd need to plan for more storage space. In a server cluster infrastructure, this isn't simply throwing more HDDs into a case, there usually is a huge storage network (SAN) with its build-in redundancies (so HDDs would have to be added in multiples of N, where N > 2). Space (and time taken) for backups would need to be adjusted, too. The database schema would need to be expanded to accommodate more character slots per account, and every script working with that number would need to be re-adjusted and tested for correct function (no-one would like to see random characters dropped).

Please note, I wouldn't go as far as calling all of this a PITA. It is non-trivial, but manageable work, which needs expert planning and execution (but then again, what doesn't in this line of work?). If the beancounters in accounting calculate the projected revenue from offering more character slots to be greater than the projected costs of hardware and man-hours (for initial installation and ongoing maintenance) invested, this is very likely to happen. Some day. Probably soon(TM). ;)

@KhajitFurTrader
    What would be the difference between me having 16 characters on one account, or 2 accounts with 8 each?

As far as as their choice of storage technologies goes, they've already implemented it. It seems to adjust well with the surges around sales and them going B2P. I think you would see a change in how people use their storage such as more characters on one account instead of multiple accounts.

As anyone who works in the field knows, the cost of enterprise storage is cheaper now than its ever been. I personally don't see any insurmountable hurdles or costs that would make it impractical.
  • Jakhajay
    Jakhajay
    ✭✭✭✭

As anyone who works in the field knows, the cost of enterprise storage is cheaper now than its ever been. I personally don't see any insurmountable hurdles or costs that would make it impractical.

Nor do I

• Victus
    Victus
    ✭✭✭
    I would like this too, I already have 8 character slots filled and invested in (mounts, writs completed, motifs learned) because I want to try different play styles, including race/class combinations. I already have another one I am really wanting to try out but can't right now (admittedly the new idea primarily stems from a cosmetic decision ).

I am considering buying a second account just to dabble in even more alts - I have yet to play a Bosmer, Imperial, or Nord - but Champion points not carrying over and wondering if I will have enough time to justify it is holding me back at the moment.
    Throm the First - Redguard Dragon Knight - Daggerfall Covenant
  • pcripper39ub17_ESO
    You're going about it all wrong. Here's what you say to get these things implemented.

Hi, I'm willing to pay 2500 crowns per slot. Will most likely buy 2 for a rounded number, so will put me at 10 total characters.

I hate to wait around for months to train my horse, so will at least buy riding lessons for the mounts. Will of course want to speed up the horse, so there's 6000 crowns per character. Will also want max bag space, so there's another 6000 crowns per character. Might use gold for the stam, unless I want to pvp in Blackwater, then will need more crowns for horse stam. So, if we do the math that's 29K crowns if I do not train stam. At just under $40 for 5500 crowns my bill will be $240 for the whole buy. Please take my money ZoS, I'm sure there are more people out there like me!

Now there's more of a sales pitch to Zos for adding character slots :wink:
  • sleeplessoneb16_ESO
    sleeplessoneb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I am an altholic : I am for and against for my reasons below ....

as I think i might turn into a hollow if they added character slots into the Crown Store .... <Note arm appears very dry and wrinkled>

3 ESO accounts (currently) - I would easily run with one of each race in each alliance trying out different skills ... Although I have been away from ESO , RL too busy

4 SWTOR (currently only 1 is used) - now we got lots more slots now so 1 account is enough ( working on my toons , XP bonus consumables and double XP events)

My problem is Time Constraints ... Even I would have 40 toons in GW2 - but cost and time PLUS repeated grinding negated this.
    For me to have many alts I need to gear them up as well ......

• Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

We altoholics love creating characters.Each one being different.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    More character slots for sale are supposed to be coming with the new DLC this month.
  • FancyTuna8
    FancyTuna8
    ✭✭✭
    Tessie has made great points that mostly sum up anyone's desires for more than 8 characters, but I will add that factions play a part. I made a new character a few weeks ago because my friend just started the game and I wanted to be able to play with him. My highest level character is lvl 41 and I'm only entering the 5th area now, so playing together as we level up would have been impossible.

This game has so many self-imposed limitations. It is like listening to my 11 year old son make up weird game rules for his sisters to play with him. Eventually they get tired of all the unnecessary rules and restrictions and just stop playing with him and do something else.