Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

As a High Elf, will I need blacksmithing?

Starkman
Starkman
Hey all,
Say, I searched through the forum with "Do I need" and other searches, but couldn't find this addressed.
As a high elf, will I need blacksmith for crafting or any other reason?
Since I'm not going to be wearing heavy armor (maybe only for the sill line exp), I'm not sure why I'd need to put points into it.

Thanks,

Starkman
Starkman
My PC? You mean, this thing, what's quickly becoming a low-end system!
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does race have to do with it?
    confused24.gif
  • eNumbra
    eNumbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    What does race have to do with it?
    confused24.gif

Implying he's going to do a pure magicka build.
  • Starkman
    Starkman
    Yeah, that's pretty much it. If I don't plan to do anything with blacksmithing - I will probably wear one piece of heavy armor here and there - then do I really need to spend the points and time in blacksmithing?
    Starkman
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Starkman wrote: »
    Yeah, that's pretty much it. If I don't plan to do anything with blacksmithing - I will probably wear one piece of heavy armor here and there - then do I really need to spend the points and time in blacksmithing?
    Well if you are only going to wear light armor seriously, and use only staves, then no. You can get by without the skill line for that profession.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm certain there's an argonian somewhere who will do the work my friend. I used to use skooma and a bottle of Telvanni Bug Musk mingled with Gold in a satchel to get the things i needed from my tower servants but now i just ask the mouths to do it for me and they allways hire an argonian or khajiit to do these type of workings now, ive still need of some sload soap for aches and pains in my joints due to the use of greater magicka demands in cryodiil, but as i said, asking the mouths in the Great chamber will allways fullfill our needs friend, allways.

good day to you.
  • Starkman
    Starkman
    Okay, but if I do decide, let's say, to wear a piece of heavy armor, I still won't need to do blacksmithing, will I? -- because I do plan to wear 5-1-1.

I'm just a bit lost as to why I would need blacksmith if I'm not ever going to do anything with it.
    I mean, would I really need to craft armor for just one piece?

Thanks.
    Starkman
  • Starkman
    Starkman
    I'm certain there's an argonian somewhere who will do the work my friend. I used to use skooma and a bottle of Telvanni Bug Musk mingled with Gold in a satchel to get the things i needed from my tower servants but now i just ask the mouths to do it for me and they allways hire an argonian or khajiit to do these type of workings now, ive still need of some sload soap for aches and pains in my joints due to the use of greater magicka demands in cryodiil, but as i said, asking the mouths in the Great chamber will allways fullfill our needs friend, allways.

good day to you.

Hmm (rubbing chin). Here, sit right down here, take this pill to relax you, and tell me alllllll about it!
    Starkman
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

good day to you.

Hmm (rubbing chin). Here, sit right down here, take this pill to relax you, and tell me alllllll about it!

it is written that we Telvanni are the "House of Troubles" my friend, if your intent is to insult me then you have done so with elegance and precision, might I also remind you of the rules in our Great House?

"If you steal from another Telvanni, but still live, then clearly you deserve whatever you stole. Murdering your opponents by magic or treachery is the traditional way of settling disputes. If you win, then clearly your argument has more merit. You may be expelled as in any other Great House, but most Telvanni will not care or even know about it."

Good Day to You sir.

just to be clear, im joking and i was not insulted. nor did i intend to insult.
    Edited by Gilvoth on August 31, 2015 5:32AM
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, but if I do decide, let's say, to wear a piece of heavy armor, I still won't need to do blacksmithing, will I? -- because I do plan to wear 5-1-1.

I'm just a bit lost as to why I would need blacksmith if I'm not ever going to do anything with it.
    I mean, would I really need to craft armor for just one piece?

Thanks.

not at all, in my belief your plan seems well thought out and with good merit.
    you can probably get the best armor and weapons for a sorcerer pure magicka build right from the rewards ingame without having to craft any items.

i hope this answer helped in some way friend.
    Edited by Gilvoth on August 31, 2015 5:34AM
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can always make someone els craft your armor for you, there is no need for you to learn blacksmithing or any kind of armor and weapon crafting. They don't provide beneficial passives, only provisioning and alchemy does that so far.
    Edited by failkiwib16_ESO on August 31, 2015 11:53AM
  • nordsavage
    nordsavage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is not a traditional elder scrolls where race and play type dictate whether or not you should craft. Learn blacksmithing If you want to craft metal for any of your alts or for others. Think about if your character will be a long term investment or a throw away later. Also look at it from an economic standpoint, it is cheaper to do it yourself and you can have most sets functioning within a month or two. Most of the higher trait sets are rarely used. From a timeline view it takes months an months to fully top out a material craft so the sooner you start the better.
    Edited by nordsavage on August 31, 2015 12:12PM
    I didn't choose tank life, tank life chose me.
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Leave it to those filthy Orcs.
    PC EU
  • Starkman
    Starkman
    First,

Dwemer, the solid handshake between us remains firm and unwavering. Never an insult to be had!

Next,

It isn't that I do not wish to craft; in fact, I am quite excited to begin doing so. It is only blacksmithing into which I do not wish to put points if, by endgame, I will have had no real use for the craft. Yes, my toon will probably be wearing a heavy-armor chest piece throughout its tenure, but I was not confident (and remain still unsure) if only one piece warrants the need to intertwine with the craft.

As it is, I will, most likely, develop a few alts to afford me the luxury of more time for may main toon; the alts will be in charge of the required crafting mechanics I need to pursue.

As it is, though, thanks very much for the responses.

Starkman
    Starkman
  • Love_Chunks
    Love_Chunks
    ✭✭✭
    Yes level it but pick a character who you want to dedicate to crafting. You'll want to do all three of the equipment crafts on ONE character. Otherwise you would have to learn multiple motif sets on multiple characters and hop between characters to make sure youve got the right equipment for research. Very tedious. There are enough skill points in the game for you to max out those three crafts and still be combat viable.

Also you technically dont have to invest any points in to those three crafts to level them. All you have to do is decon every weapon or piece of armor you find and your skill will improve. If and when you have decided on a dedicated crafter, you would need a minimum of 12 skill points total invested for the research passives. And thats only if you're truly hurting for skill points otherwise feel free to put points where you like.

Also researching traits is very time intensive but very worth it in the end. It took me a whole year to learn everything which is why it's important to dedicate a character to it and get an early start.

Lastly, If you were going to split up any of the crafting abilities I'd say do it with the consumables crafts. They require less time invested to master.
    Me: It's[WB spamming DK] a really cheesy build
    Guildy: I like cheese with my wine, and WB creates some really good wine.
  • Starkman
    Starkman
    Okay, got it. I'm still wondering why, though, I need to bother with blacksmithing; I have no desire to ever play a tank or probably any of the profs that require heavy armor. That's what I'm wondering. If there's still a good reason to invest in BS, great. If not, I'd rather not put the time into it.

Thanks.

Edited by Starkman on September 1, 2015 2:58AM
    Starkman
  • afgncaap7
    afgncaap7
    ✭✭
    Blacksmithing covers heavy armor and melee weapons. If you'll be using either of those, then I'd recommend that at the very least you dedicate enough points to craft at your level. There's tons of skill points available, you're not gonna miss the few you invest to craft at your level.
  • Starkman
    Starkman
    Ah! Forgot that; melee weapons. All I was thinking of was armor!
    Thanks very much!

Starkman
    Starkman
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best advice would be to lvl up blacksmithing for the future, where if you decide to wear 1-3 pieces of blacksmithing items, you only have to spend 8 legendary improvement materials per item instead of 12. For this purpose you don't even need to spend time on research, just grind items in public dungeons and deconstruct them.