The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

My Mages Guild Skill Is Leveling Without Lorebooks...?

Dandrayton
Dandrayton
✭✭
I started a new character and already got mages guild level 10 on my main, I killed certain things and it started leveling, anyone know why?
If I'm not allowed images in my signature I'll add one to the end of every post.
♫▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬­­­▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­­­­­­­­­▬▬▬♫ ­
SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE NIGHTCORE !
♫▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬­­­▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­­­­­­­­­▬▬▬♫
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guild skill also levels doing their quests, have you done the early one perhaps?

Other than that I know of no way to get guild XP except from the 'blue glowy' books.
  • Dandrayton
    Dandrayton
    ✭✭
    I did a public dungeon, that's all.
    If I'm not allowed images in my signature I'll add one to the end of every post.
    ♫▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬­­­▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­­­­­­­­­▬▬▬♫ ­
    SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE NIGHTCORE !
    ♫▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬­­­▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­­­­­­­­­▬▬▬♫
  • Elektrakosh
    Elektrakosh
    ✭✭✭
    Did you spend a skill point in a passive ability in mage skill?
    That could be helping level it up. Exploration also helps.
    Argonian Painted-By-Elements -Pure Sorceress- Daggerfall Covenant. V1 I hate recipes!
    Altmer Elekwen aka The Pale Lady -Sorceress- Aldmeri Dominion. Vampire Lvl 8
    EU/UK. Xbox One.
    Gtag: Elektra K Otana.

• Aett_Thorn
    Aett_Thorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure you're not leveling the Fighter's Guild? Mage's Guild should only level up from lore books and mage's guild quests.
  • NovaMarx
    NovaMarx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The very first Mage Guild quest is located in a public dungeon
    where you have to find some tomes, which leads to the whole Shalidor quest/story
    . Maybe you were in such a dungeon?
    "Feet are for walking. Hands are for hitting. Or shaking. Or waving. Sometimes for clapping."
    - M'aiq the Liar
  • venkelos
    venkelos
    Soul Shriven
    This might be my least favorite skill line that I actually want to finish. I'm not so far, yet, so I admit to whining, but the Mage's Guild already feels more tacked on than the Fighter's Guild, what with the latter actually challenging Molag Bal, while the prior just acts like a library looking for a lost island they didn't even know about, but the FG skill increases for dealing with anchors (half the point of the GAME), and killing undead and Daedra (both of which are rife everywhere), while the ONLY thing that increases the MG skill is those damn books, and my skill with finding ANY resources in this game has left me feeling pretty lame, as I play, though some I attribute to active player pools; lorebooks have no impact from this. Other than Meteor, which I apparently won't get prior to Veteran, anyway, so whoopty do, I'm not even sure there is much in the skill line worth busting one's hump to find those books. I don't believe any questing, even the Mage's Guild missions, or using their powers, effect the skill; ONLY the books, and finishing the sets of them (can hope I'm wrong), which hurts, since the Fighter's Guild almost feels like a freebie (anchors respawn rather frequently, ARE shown on the map, and there's always more monsters. I'm not saying it's a quick skill to level, but the reqs are frequent).

Oh well, one of these days, I'll cave under, and just take the work out of it, playing next to my computer, and using online maps to locate the elusive books. Hopefully, if I EVER get Meteor, it'll earn the love for all that work. It must be nice for the PC players to get to cheat, and use mods/apps to add them to the map. Fortunately, my second character, who is eating up most of my time, is a Templar, so I feel less hosed than for my Sorcerer, who should be doing Mage's Guild stuff, since he's a mage.

Apologies, I'm done whining now. If there is a nifty way to "accidentally" get a big lead on that skill, I hope it works, and I find it. I know that the game does keep track of them, even if you haven't joined the Mage's Guild, so you will benefit from every lorebook you found, regardless of your affinity with the mages.
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Venkelos,
    I don't mind the whining at all, but it is a lil bit an inapropiate place. This is the players helping players section of the forum and Dandrayton had a question (half a month ago). Your reaction does not contribute to answering his question or is helpfull to him or any other player (though your feedback might be welcome by ESO, they likely don't read this part of the forum).

Also, I have to disagree bout the usefullness of the mages skillline. I find it a lot more usefull then the fighter guild ones.
    They have the dissadvantage only to work effective against daedra and undead. Mage skills like inner light and structured entropy are very good supportskills that are used in many builds. The passive magicka controller then becomes very usefull too for magicka based skills.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • venkelos
    venkelos
    Soul Shriven
    Agreed, will try harder, in the future.