The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Crafting Writs rework

TheDarkRuler
TheDarkRuler
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello citizens of Nirn,
today i'd like to bring one serious topic to you that is bothering me for a while: The crafting writs.
There are some sub-topics regarding this issue; each issue is decreasing the fun in doing the crafting writs every day by making it a pain.
[SNIP]
#1: Smithing, Clothier and Woodworking costs
Compared to the relatively low costs in the Alchemy, Provisioning and Enchanting tree, the costs in these crafting writs are enormous.
Often you require fifty to hundred ingots/leather/fibre components to craft what is needed to the daily mission.
If you want to do the Alchemy stuff you often only require two different herbs and you even get 4 potions.

#2: Hardly variability at crafting
If you have a look at Enchanting there is almost no variability regarding the daily crafting writs.
It is an armor enchantment every time (increase Stamina/Life/Magicka). It is never a weapon or jewelry enchantment.
Also it is always an additive enchantment. I am using my Kura Power Runes every day but my Kude runes remain untouched for months.
Make it more variable so the runs will deplete a little bit more distributed over all runes you can get.

Same thing with provisioning: I experienced only six recurring recipes in my last two weeks with my three veteran characters.

Same on alchemy: Why the 2nd part besides the potions is almost anytime "Nirnroot" or a solvent. Why not making the player collect other resources.
It bothers me i have over two-hundred herbs of some kind but all the crafting writs ask for is Nirnroot...

#3: The rewards
Really... rewards are fine, but there is one thing that make me feel throw up in the crafting writs for the Smithing/Clothier/Woodworking. You spend crafting materials on dozens into completing your writ and all you (mostly) get is ore, few trait-items and some lil' money. Increase the chance for the purple or yellow upgrades or give us at least some kind of rare items like violet style motif... that would be a good reward!

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Cursing & Profanity]
Edited by ZOS_MaryB on August 4, 2015 11:53AM
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Many will agree with you, as your points have been expressed before in numerous other threads on this topic. They are adding a new reward to the equipment crafting writs, a chance at a portion of a chapter page of the upcoming glass motif, so this will probably get more folks to do the writs. The problem is, the higher chances come from higher tier writs, so you will have to use a 100-stack of materials on one writ.

This will probably raise the price of materials and increase the demand, which seems to have waned somewhat since people discovered how little return there was on their investment. No doubt this addition to the equipment writs is ZOS' attempt to get people to do more of these writs, but they either need to decrease the cost of materials at the higher levels or increase the base rewards. A single turquoise as a reward for spending 100 pieces of voidstone ingots is a slap in the face.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been doing crafting writs at various levels for a while now. I have come to some conclusions:

1. For Equipment Crafting, up to L3/L4 in material levels, you make money even buying the refined materials. You can do a few writs per stack of mats. It is the top end writs where a 100 stack is needed for one writ that they stop making financial sense. Unless you chasing Nirn stones.
    2. I like only having to provide Attribute Glyphs and Attribute Essences and one potency for enchanting writs, makes inventory management much easier. Each enchanter keeps the 4 potencies, the 3 essences and some Tas. Never have to go to the bank. Although top level sometimes ask for Denima's too.
    3. Provisioning Writs, once you get the recipe or a steady source of the finished products, they take 2 minutes to do
    4. Same with Alchemy for that matter. Although you make more different kinds of potions for that skill.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• CidxLucy
    CidxLucy
    ✭✭
    All you need to do when you kill monster take the gear break it down because uts your lvl and get its mat from it and then make items need.
  • Austacker
    Austacker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have 5 maxed professions at the moment.

I do the consumable writs, the costs to complete are low and the rewards can be decent.

I absolutely don't bother to do my cloth or woodworking writs anymore, an absolute waste of time.

I don't do Blacksmithing at all, but can only assume it's in a similar situation.

I agree with you completely OP. I'm honestly amazed ZOS created the daily writ process in this fashion. It's completely not worth doing for the major three (Woodworking/Clothing/Blacksmithing).

Even when 'Glass motif' chances are there, I'm still not convinced it's worth bothering with. The return on the investment is just not balanced.
  • thunderwell
    thunderwell
    ✭✭✭
    Having no cooking recipes right off the bat makes me not want to level provisioning.
    It's fine if I start with a few low level recipes, but I can't complete writs until I find the recipe.
    Can we have writs with recipes we know, please?
    NA, PC Megaserver
    Zhaani, Female Khajiit, Nightblade, AD (current main)
    (Unless otherwise put in my sig, all characters are below level 50)
  • Austacker
    Austacker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Having no cooking recipes right off the bat makes me not want to level provisioning.
    It's fine if I start with a few low level recipes, but I can't complete writs until I find the recipe.
    Can we have writs with recipes we know, please?

Best way around it is to abandon the writ and power level your provisioning past where it's at.

Each day your writ will be one of a possible 3 different combinations.

For me at level 50 Provisioning, there's a combination of 3 different requests only that pop up. Each being 2 different foods/drinks.

So for me, I only need 6 recipies to craft all my level 50 writs. So needing a big number of recipies is actually not correct.

A quick fix is to either abandon your current writ if it's over a day later and pick up a new one (possibly different recipies) or if you're stuck, abandon the writ and level your provisioning to the 'next bracket' and you may be able to craft those instead.

At level 50, you will only need to craft 6 different items in total. I keep a stack of 20 of each in the bank and each day just pull out the ones I need to cover my writ.

• Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What are the actual rewards.. ie Inspiration and the amount of gold you per level?

Far too many characters to list any more.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The provisioning one is fine. It gives me frost marriam or bevez juice every time. Also there's the ambrosia recipes. The others are a complete waste of time though
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    The provisioning one is fine. It gives me frost marriam or bevez juice every time. Also there's the ambrosia recipes. The others are a complete waste of time though

Wow...frost mirriam and bervez juice EVERY TIME? You're extremely lucky, then. I've been doing top-tier provisioning writs since they were introduced and usually only get these ingredients at most 2x week.
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Glass fragments?

I still haven't had a single ambrosia fragment!

Though as glass is merely cosmetic I'll probably get loads of them - I'll just put them in storage with all the dwemer pages I have :(
  • ku5h
    ku5h
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My experience is quite different. Looking at the blacksmithing, clothing and woodworking writs alone i made so much money, its probably my best source of income. Every day i get atleast 5k of stuff back, if one day i get nothing, the other day i get 10k worth. Best so far i got like 50k worth (2xnirn from 1 blacksmithing survay + 2 gold mats, dont remember which, but doesnt matter). I have only 1 char that does the writs so i have no problems finding the mats, in last month i made roughly over 150-200k in stuff.
    To be clear im talking about last tier of writs only...
    Dont know about lower lvls, never do them.
    Edited by ku5h on August 4, 2015 10:39PM
  • fallensbane_ESO
    fallensbane_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I would be satisfied if writs just.. well worked right. I have a VR14 50 BSM/WooD/Cloth/Provisioner..

I get proper writs for my gear crafts and I still can't get beyond Tier IV (Provisioner Sack IV) for cooking, even though I have main story complete and access to craglorn..