The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

EVGA Gtx 980 wierd stuff

marco.cuevas.ventob14_ESO
OK so new to the game in for like 1 month and
never have I experienced this with my other games
on my high end PC.

Here's the deal.

Black screen.....with sound in the background.

I restart my PC or Ctl,alt,delete kill the program
but then my Nvidia driver crashes.

After PC restart my HDMI cable doesn't work and I have to
switch to my DVI>HDMI cable...works..

So let me ask you guys , if you have a GTX 980

I have the most recent NVidia Driver update for this card..

IF you have a gtx 980 can you please share with me what driver
you are using and the stability of it?

because I figured if I have the new driver it will work fine. My
guess is as they update the driver for current games they are messing
up games like ESO.

appreciate the help, the last thing I want is to fry my card which cost me
quite a bit. again any any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
  • Grunim
    Grunim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope you receive a reply because I have an EVGA 980 card scheduled for delivery by tomorrow. We're finally going to replace my old 560ti card.

Do you use GeForce Experience by any chance? I thought I heard that people have been having good luck with it for ESO and the 980 card.
    Am a whimsical Generation Jones gamer. Online RPGs hooked me since '94 and no sign of stopping soon...

• marco.cuevas.ventob14_ESO
    Yes I have GeForce Experience...let me tell you as far as the card goes
    It's an EXCELLENT card. I have ran tests with it high benchmarks doesn't
    even run that hot I anticipate having this card for a long time. 4 GB memory
    you can't go wrong and I see that ESO takes up about 2.4GB so that's pretty
    good. Usually I run around 60 FPS in battles 35-45 depends.

I see people having this issue with all kinds of cards. It hasn't happened to me
    since I switched to a DVI>HDMI cable 3 days ago so far it runs great. BUT, this
    crash can happen any moment. I paid lilke 600 for this card that is why I
    am concerned. One time it crashed my driver and I could not recover I had to
    uninstall reinstall driver. Let me know how you do. Ive been lurking over at the
    GEforce forums I will let you know if I find a FIX.

• Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a GTX970 soon to be SLI and black screens have been here since Beta for NVIDIA users. GeForce Experience generally causes issues with the game. Some can run it, some can't. I don't run it anymore and my black screens have gone down a lot. I am running 347.88. I had issues with the game crashing constantly on anything above 347.88. I will be installing 350.12 when I go SLI for the support and crossing my fingers it doesn't crash non stop. My game monitor is also HDMI but no issues there with the game. To keep black screens to a minimum I do have to run window full screen. If I run full screen it crashes all the time. Also some have to force DX9 instead of running DX11. Thankfully I can run DX11 with this card and not have the game crash.

It is an irritating bug for sure. The screen goes black yet you can hear the game. I always kept my task manager open so when it happens I can kill the process. There have been times both monitors went black with the crash and I had to just hit the power button on the PC. Not cool at all to do that..... This bug crashes the NVIDIA driver and it cannot recover hence the black screen. Hope it starts working for you soon.
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    v353.30 is just a mess, make sure you are not using it.
    if you are, just rollback your driver or download a beta driver.
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
    Yikes I have 353.30 I will go to the Nvidia Forums see what's going on.....I can't afford to buy
    another card this one cost me quite a bit..thanks for all the info...

here is how I am running my set up right now

DVI to HDMI>Samsung 55 LED tv.....

I am going to roll back....but it might affect other games that I have on my PC
    we'll see....
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I though eso favored nvidia cards?
    yes it does but there are still problems I wish there wasn't
    I play lots of games on my PC and like I said before this
    crash to black screen/sound is ESO specific lots of people are
    having this problem and it concerns me.
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I spent the first week of "live" down due to black screens every few seconds. I was on the phone with CS hours every day and on the weekend. Finally made some changes to the usersettings.txt file that allowed me to play. Over time those changes could be reverted to what they should be set at but I still can't run full screen and still have black screen crashes at dolmens and just opening my journal.

I have a new system being built that should be done in a few days. Going to try SLI and hope I don't regret it. Also getting an eight core CPU with 32 gigs of system ram, two SSD drives and it's water cooled. I get my current system isn't top of the line but it runs great and runs other games much more intensive than ESO with no issues. Will the new system fix my problems? I hope it does but not holding my breath...
    I'm not sure if it'll solve all the problems but the SSD helps a lot with loading times
  • Grunim
    Grunim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tplink3r1 wrote: »
    v353.30 is just a mess, make sure you are not using it.
    if you are, just rollback your driver or download a beta driver.

OK, I just checked the GeForce site and the latest "game ready" driver appears to be 353.62, released on Wednesday, July 29th. Is this one stable or do you still need to use a beta driver?

I received my 980 card yesterday and my husband was going to install it shortly so it would be ready for my birthday tomorrow.

Am I nuts to have him do this today?

Am a whimsical Generation Jones gamer. Online RPGs hooked me since '94 and no sign of stopping soon...

@Grunim

I am still trying to get an answer on this also...I have wed driver and so far no crashes but I have had some with this driver. black screen/no sound....congratulations on the card it is an awesome Video Card. Think I am going to make a thread over at the geforce forums see if anyone knows anything about this.
  • Whilhelmina
    Whilhelmina
    ✭✭✭
    Hubby just got the black screen twice in a row with a SLI of 2 GeForce 560 GTX Ti. He's using very old drivers (335.23) and never had the problem before.
    baffles me how a year old game is still having video card problems.....
    every MMO that I have played has figured out video card problems well
    within a year....drivers should of been tested, retested, fixed whatever at this
    point they should be constantly be trying to figure this out with a test server.

I just subbed but if I keep getting crashes well within the month I will not
    renew.
  • CossackHD
    CossackHD
    ✭✭
    My friend has EVGA GTX 980 SLI. His game crashes every few minutes unless he caps FPS at around 60. Default ESO FPS cap is 100 (without VSYNC).

As soon as he capped FPS at 69 (for lulz) the game became stable.
    His CPU is AMD FX-8350.
    16GB RAM.

Hope that was useful.
    Edited by CossackHD on August 3, 2015 2:19PM
  • Thomasb16_ESO120
    Thomasb16_ESO120
    Soul Shriven
    An possible solution I found for this issue was going into user settings in \Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\liveeu and searching for D3D11, OPENGL or D3D9. On newer cards simply changing it to D3D12 (which is in the newest drivers) seemed to have fixed the issues, OPENGL also works if your drivers support that, which for some reason not every driver does??

The game have been running for 4-5 hours without any issue going from 5 minutes between each crash before and I got higher FPS.
  • Ethona
    Ethona
    ✭✭✭
    An possible solution I found for this issue was going into user settings in \Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\liveeu and searching for D3D11, OPENGL or D3D9. On newer cards simply changing it to D3D12 (which is in the newest drivers) seemed to have fixed the issues, OPENGL also works if your drivers support that, which for some reason not every driver does??

The game have been running for 4-5 hours without any issue going from 5 minutes between each crash before and I got higher FPS.

I'm replacing my reply here. My game has went back to dropping to 0 FPS every few seconds no matter where I'm at in the world. The condition has progressively gotten worse and worse over the week. I have tried the game on two different disk drives, an SSD drive, under windows 7, 8.0, 8.1, and 10. I have recently redownloaded the game to see if that helps. ESO simply won't run anymore on my system unless ... I play it on Ubuntu Linux. Yea, same hardware, but different OS altogether. Now this leads me to believe that perhaps something that the game renders under DX9/11 which isn't render under opengl is cuasing the issues? Just a thought but I must also say that OpenGL no longer works in windows under the latest nvidia drivers. I thought about trying out a really old nvida driver but you know here's the thing... One shouldn't have to troubleshoot their system to the point I have for one single game along. No other games have these issues but ESO.

NOTE: My plans are to reinstall windows 10 and also a older nvida driver. At least Linux works for now haha.
    Edited by Ethona on August 23, 2015 8:56AM