Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Fishing?

JumpinJames
Hey folks-

Just looking for some opinions on fishing in ESO. Is it worth it? What are the benefits of fishing?

I've hit a couple of spots and found a couple of rare fish worth 30 gold, but I usually skip over the fishing aspect of the game because I don't like using up inventory slots on bait.

Thoughts?
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The most valuable item you can fish out (or more precisely, fillet fish for) is Perfect Roe used in Psijic Ambrosia (XP pot). It fetches a good price. Other than that, it's mostly for fun and achievements + dyes. Rare fish can be sold, you can also occasionaly fish out sacks with crafting items.
  • Cavedog
    Cavedog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To add to the above comment, all white fish can be filleted with a chance to get a perfect roe, which is a yellow provisioning crafting material. It's worth A LOT, like 14K if you want to sell it. Master provisioners will also trade Psijic Ambrosia for it too a lot of times. They can make multiple units of ambrosia from one perfect roe, they keep a portion, and give a portion back in trade for the roe is always a fair deal.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You only need to keep 4 baits on hand (Crawlers, Guts, Worms and Insect Parts) toss the other baits you get. Note, if you get bait at a fishing hole, that bait will be used somewhere else, not where you are.

If you use the right bait for the hole, you have a 100% chance of getting a fish, if you let the bobbin go under water before reeling in. Use the wrong bait, the chances drop off dramatically, if you even get anything other than used Bait.

There is a book called A Guide to Fishing in Tamriel in the game, it is probably in your Lore Library. It tells you what bait to use where. Then the only trick is to determine what the water is. It's not always clear, like in Stormhaven, the water near the sewer is foul as you would expect, but 15 feet downstream it is a River.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    You only need to keep 4 baits on hand (Crawlers, Guts, Worms and Insect Parts) toss the other baits you get. Note, if you get bait at a fishing hole, that bait will be used somewhere else, not where you are.
    Don't toss good bait! Send it to me, I'll always find time to use it. :)
  • SedoUmbra
    SedoUmbra
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to be a provisioner - YES.
    If you want dyes, acheivements and quick gold - YES
    If you want to play CoD - NO.

A quick tip for anyone starting out:

Ocean baits are worms (Found as loot from undead enemies and can be found when harvesting plants) and chub (Found by fishing in foul water)

River baits are Insect parts (found from harvesting flying insects) and Shad (found by fishing in Lakes)

Foul Water baits are crawlers (found by killing and then looting level 1 land insects, such as centipedes or level 1 spiders) and Fish Roe (found by fishing in rivers)

Lake baits are Guts (found by killing and then looting small livestock - from rates to sheep) and minnow (found by fishing in oceans)
  • JumpinJames
    SedoUmbra wrote: »
    If you want to be a provisioner - YES.
    If you want dyes, acheivements and quick gold - YES
    If you want to play CoD - NO.

A quick tip for anyone starting out:

Ocean baits are worms (Found as loot from undead enemies and can be found when harvesting plants) and chub (Found by fishing in foul water)

River baits are Insect parts (found from harvesting flying insects) and Shad (found by fishing in Lakes)

Foul Water baits are crawlers (found by killing and then looting level 1 land insects, such as centipedes or level 1 spiders) and Fish Roe (found by fishing in rivers)

Lake baits are Guts (found by killing and then looting small livestock - from rates to sheep) and minnow (found by fishing in oceans)

Thanks for the tips! I had no idea the differences in where you should use the different baits.
  • NGP
    NGP
    ✭✭✭
    For fishing fans and achievement obsessives.
    Or some ppl know a way to sell those perfect roe. Not so many have xp recipe. So roes are hard to sell.