The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Undaunted Gold Chest Shoulders

Dandrayton
Dandrayton
✭✭
The shoulders obtained from the undaunted gold chest don't even make sense, in combat you stand with your left shoulder facing forward with your right leg and right shoulder back, the ONE shoulder piece is on the right side of your body, theoretically this gives you less protection, and it looks stupid as hell, I think they should be changed to be more logical based on combat stance, and there should be two shoulder pieces. 2w6syf9.jpg
If I'm not allowed images in my signature I'll add one to the end of every post.
♫▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬­­­▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­­­­­­­­­▬▬▬♫ ­
SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE NIGHTCORE !
♫▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬­­­▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­­­­­­­­­▬▬▬♫
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah... no, these are literally the only things in the game that behave that way. If you want realistic pauldrons, maybe you shouldn't be wearing the severed head of your foes.
  • Dandrayton
    Dandrayton
    ✭✭
    Implying it's a severed head and not just a helmet... Just because it's themed like him doesn't mean it's his head. Regardless, there shouldn't just be one shoulder piece, especially not on a 2 piece set where there's no chest piece to make the shoulder look normal.
    If I'm not allowed images in my signature I'll add one to the end of every post.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS pulls a lot of dunce moves when it comes to weapon and armor design (or just artistic license in general) in this game.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dandrayton wrote: »
    Implying it's a severed head and not just a helmet... Just because it's themed like him doesn't mean it's his head. Regardless, there shouldn't just be one shoulder piece, especially not on a 2 piece set where there's no chest piece to make the shoulder look normal.

Honestly, full sets to go with the Undaunted sets would be cool... but the grinding they'd require...

You'll have to forgive me if that doesn't sound appealing.
  • Dandrayton
    Dandrayton
    ✭✭
    Well the only way this shoulder would look good is with a matching chestpiece...
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want realistic pauldrons, maybe you shouldn't be wearing the severed head of your foes.
    This is the best thing I've read in a long time. Sig'd.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well the only way this shoulder would look good is with a matching chestpiece...

Except, then your chest piece wouldn't match to anything else... so you'd need the legs, gauntlets, and belt... and then your boots would look out of place.

I mean, if the pauldrons actually added additional visuals to your chest armor and elsewhere (sort of like how the Assimilated set worked in STO) then that could be really cool. But, as is? It'd just be more grinding, for something that would just make you need more stuff.

I mean, if the CoA set ended up with you looking kinda like the protagonist from Bound by Flame, I would grind the hell out of that dungeon for all the pieces. Sanity be damned.
  • Dandrayton
    Dandrayton
    ✭✭
    Not saying there should be a full set, I'm merely saying that ONE shoulder piece looks stupid.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not saying there should be a full set, I'm merely saying that ONE shoulder piece looks stupid.

Yeah, the problem is that once you actually had a chest piece, you'd have new visual seams to deal with on your character. You could get around this by having the pauldron and helm apply visual effects to the rest of your armor, like Dwemer rivets or new burning seams. Which would help. Or you could have a predesigned chest piece designed to sync up with the rest of your armor. So a Breton chest piece that mimics the CoA pauldron in parts, and melds into the normal breton design elsewhere. But it's an inelegant solution at best.

The real reason it's just the head and shoulders is the five pc set bonus. This way you can have a full five piece bonus from your armor (chest, belt, boots, legs, and gloves), AND benefit from the head and shoulders set, and benefit from one of the jewelry and weapon mini-sets from the Trials.

Again, an effect where your Pauldron alters the texture of the rest of your armor a little, and then more when you have the helm equipped, could be really cool. But, as is? No. Just adding a chest piece would bjork up a lot of people's set bonuses.
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »
    ZOS pulls a lot of dunce moves when it comes to weapon and armor design (or just artistic license in general) in this game.

You post a lot and damn i agree with everything you say.

PS4 NA DC
  • Dandrayton
    Dandrayton
    ✭✭

Yeah, the problem is that once you actually had a chest piece, you'd have new visual seams to deal with on your character. You could get around this by having the pauldron and helm apply visual effects to the rest of your armor, like Dwemer rivets or new burning seams. Which would help. Or you could have a predesigned chest piece designed to sync up with the rest of your armor. So a Breton chest piece that mimics the CoA pauldron in parts, and melds into the normal breton design elsewhere. But it's an inelegant solution at best.

The real reason it's just the head and shoulders is the five pc set bonus. This way you can have a full five piece bonus from your armor (chest, belt, boots, legs, and gloves), AND benefit from the head and shoulders set, and benefit from one of the jewelry and weapon mini-sets from the Trials.

Again, an effect where your Pauldron alters the texture of the rest of your armor a little, and then more when you have the helm equipped, could be really cool. But, as is? No. Just adding a chest piece would bjork up a lot of people's set bonuses.

The dilemma isn't that it's a 2 piece set, it's that there's only one shoulder piece, as shown in OP image, and that it looks absolutely stupid, I said that a full set would make it look BETTER, but a good solution would be to just make the pauldron cover both shoulders, Instead of defending the shoulder that's not even near the things you're fighting. I could make it work with fully black set, but the one shoulder pauldron just makes it look like crap.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind of option that switch between double/single pauldron for monster sets.
  • Osteos
    Osteos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think one shoulder piece looks good.
    DAGGERFALL COVENANT
    NA PC
    Former Vehemence Member
    Onistka Valerius <> Artemis Renault <> Gonk gra-Ugrash <> Karietta <> Zercon at-Rusa <> Genevieve Renault <> Ktaka <> Brenlyn Renault
  • SteveCampsOut
    SteveCampsOut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've hated the look of this set since day one. I think ramping up the ambient texture to simulate glow is lazy and looks shoddy, especially in game that has stellar graphics in most every other aspect! Maybe it's because I have a history with CGI and it stands out as poor workmanship.
    @ֆȶɛʋɛƈǟʍքֆօʊȶ ʀʋʟɨʄɛ⍟
    Sanguine & Psijic Group Beta Tester.
    Steve's Craftiness Find out what I can make for you at my Google Doc Spreadsheet.
    Pacrooti's Hirelings Website:
    pacrootis.enjin.com/

NA Server:
    Steforax Soulstrong CH782 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH782 Dragonknight AD
    Rheticia Le Drakisius CH782 Nightblade DC
    Razmuzan Thrasmas CH782 Templar EP
    Sheenara Soulstrong CH782 Dragonknight DC
    Erik Ramzey CH782 Nightblade AD
    Growling Kahjiti CH782 Nightblade EP
    One of Many Faces CH782 Sorcerer DC
    Grumpasaurus Rex CH782 Warden DC
    EU Server:
    Guildmaster of Pacrooti's Hirelings AD Based LGBT Friendly Guild.
    Stefrex Souliss CH701 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH701 Dragonknight DC
    Slithisi Ksissi CH701 Nightblade EP
    Pokes-With-Fire CH701 Dragonknight AD
    Josie-The-Pussi-Cat CH701 Templar AD
    Stug-Grog M'God CH701 Templar DC
    One With Many Faces CH701 Nightblade DC
    Trixie Truskan CH701 Sorcerer EP
    Grumpetasaurus Rex CH701 Warden EP
    ESO Plus status: Canceled!
  • Dandrayton
    Dandrayton
    ✭✭
    especially in game that has stellar graphics in most every other aspect!
    Lol... The graphics are crap considering the time they've spent on this game and the specs of PCs and Consoles that run it..

• Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's more of an adornment, with the set bonus/enchant doing the actual work, more than the armor itself.

It's more of a statement making trophy item, vs 'functional' armor. The single shoulderpiece is one of the few things that set it apart from the other sets.

Personally, I think it's a nice touch.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • wraithguknub18_ESO
    wraithguknub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    It is amazing the things people cry about in MMOs
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    especially in game that has stellar graphics in most every other aspect!
    Lol... The graphics are crap considering the time they've spent on this game and the specs of PCs and Consoles that run it..

This game has the best MMO graphics to date.
    Valrien Dravic -- Level 50 Dunmeri Sorcerer (EP)
    Garahel Dravic -- Level 50 Bosmeri Nightblade (EP)
    Tamriel Unlimited was a mistake. One Tamriel was a bigger mistake
  • Troneon
    Troneon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    How many things broken and messed up in this game and you pick this to be fixed?....
    PC EU AD
    Master Crafter - Anything you need!!
    High Elf Magicka Templar Healer/DPS/Tank
    Trials / Dungeons / PVP / Everything
  • Tors
    Tors
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fixed?

Generally shoulder protection was for one shoulder only. From archers through to footmen, they did not have the money or the resources to equip them fully.

Add to that the weight of armour, a shield and shoulder could balance the wieght of the weapon in the right hand (usually a cheap length of wood, fire hardened) while providing full body coverage. There is no need to protect the side of the body not facing your opponent.

Finally, having heavy armour on both shoulders severly affects your ability to make an attack with anything more than a punch with the shield. Try moving your arm laterly with a lump of something heavy attached to your joints

The Romans were different, but you cant base you extreme knowledge of armour from the Romans and what you think looks "cool" In any case, their armour was pretty lightweight and they went in for more face to face stabing once they had thrown their spears during the initial contact. Even then, looking at non-cerimonial armour, and the right and shoulder is actually of a different lighter design.

Better late Than Pregnant....
    The shadow cabinet, a group of people who pretend to have jobs they do not actually have

EU PC - Azura's Star
    Decimation Elite - Raid Jester
  • Robotmafia
    Robotmafia
    ✭✭✭
    well, when holding a shield you could say the shoulder piece offers your sword arm additional protection for when it leaves the safty of your shield to strike an attack.. just a thought xD

i wasnt a big fan of these shoulder pieces either but with the right dyes it looks ok and iv gotten used to it
    Robot Who Owes Money: Look into your hard drive and open your mercy file!
    Donbot: File not found.

EU/PC
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tors wrote: »
    Fixed?

Generally shoulder protection was for one shoulder only. From archers through to footmen, they did not have the money or the resources to equip them fully.

Add to that the weight of armour, a shield and shoulder could balance the wieght of the weapon in the right hand (usually a cheap length of wood, fire hardened) while providing full body coverage. There is no need to protect the side of the body not facing your opponent.

Finally, having heavy armour on both shoulders severly affects your ability to make an attack with anything more than a punch with the shield. Try moving your arm laterly with a lump of something heavy attached to your joints

The Romans were different, but you cant base you extreme knowledge of armour from the Romans and what you think looks "cool" In any case, their armour was pretty lightweight and they went in for more face to face stabing once they had thrown their spears during the initial contact. Even then, looking at non-cerimonial armour, and the right and shoulder is actually of a different lighter design.

Yeah, this is mostly accurate, it's just not really applicable, since most of the pauldrons in game are symmetrical, and the Undaunted gear is some of the best stuff in the game.

In theory it would be neat if ESO had gone with the full Morrowind armor setup. So clothes, with armor over it, seperate pauldrons for each arm, and separate gloves. With robes over everything. It was kind of ridiculous, but also very cool.
  • Tors
    Tors
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont forget

ESO is not actually real.

Hard as it is for some people to accept, this is not a window into a real world, but totally fictional.

We can have armour made out of cabbage and jam trousers, all just as affective as a full set of heavy plate armour.

I, for one, welcome the chance to wear jam trousers
    The shadow cabinet, a group of people who pretend to have jobs they do not actually have

EU PC - Azura's Star
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dont forget

Hard as it is for some people to accept, this is not a window into a real world, but totally fictional.

We can have armour made out of cabbage and jam trousers, all just as affective as a full set of heavy plate armour.

@Tors , $50 says that combination makes it into a new recipe in game...

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont forget

IKR people take this game way too seriously, 'thats not realistic' but vampires/werewolfs/zombies/daedra/ghosts etc... keep the realism alive ofc...
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Xendyn
    Xendyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dont forget

@Tors , $50 says that combination makes it into a new recipe in game...

No, no
    It must be Cabbage and Cheese! So says Uncle Sheo :D
    Lag is ruinin' my 'mershun!
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance - Socrates
    Member of the Old Guard, keepers of the game's history

PC/NA
  • Tors
    Tors
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Merlin13KAGL , i would pay 50 quid on the crown store for Jam Trousers

And cabbage and jam, that sounds much like my level of cooking IRL.

it doesent taste as good as it sounds..........
    Edited by Tors on July 28, 2015 3:00PM

EU PC - Azura's Star
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Merlin13KAGL , i would pay 50 quid on the crown store for Jam Trousers

And cabbage and jam, that sounds much like my level of cooking IRL.

it doesent taste as good as it sounds..........
    @Tors , should be a set item with one benefit, reducing fall damage!

Earn it.