Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ZENIMAX! Your trading system is faulty; here's how you can fix it!

Azurephoenix999
Azurephoenix999
✭✭✭✭✭
This is getting ridiculous and I have to say something. The trading system in ESO is riddled with faults that make it extremely difficult to actually make a trade on this game.

ISSUE #1 - SCAMMERS

You banned it from the forums because you couldn't deal with complaints about people getting scammed! Well maybe if you took the time to look at how the scamming occurs, you'll realise how to stop it(or at the very least slow it down)!

Scamming via trading is possible and very easy within ESO. Here is how to do it:
  1. Invite someone to trade, promising them a super rare item in exchange for a few of their less-rare stuff.
  2. Place your item in any open slot and wait for them to place theirs.
  3. Wait for them to submit their items and then remove your own item and submit.
  4. They give you all their stuff and you get nothing.

A similar method if the guy refuses to submit his trade until you submit yours (requires fast fingers):
  1. Invite someone to trade, promising them a super rare item in exchange for a few of their less-rare stuff.
  2. Place your item in any open slot and wait for them to place theirs.
  3. Submit your item, making them think that you intend to go ahead with the trade.
  4. Go back before they have a chance to submit their items, remove yours, then resubmit. If you do it fast enough, they will submit before they've realised what you've done.
  5. They give you all their stuff and you get nothing.

I was in Riften with a bunch of guys, I witnessed people using this tactic successfully on people at least a dozen times.

You know what you could do to stop this?

For the first method:
Make it so that if Player A has submitted, Player B changing anything will cause Player A to be forced back and need to resubmit.

For the second method:
Add a cooldown of sorts to the back button. If Player A (the scammer) goes back, changes something, then tries to resubmit, they will be unable to until a second or two has passed.

The result for
This way, if they remove the item, the other player will have the time to notice and back out before the scammer can rob them of all their ***!

Another fairly common method of scamming is having people pay up front for a werewolf/vampire bite and not being given the service afterwards. It can also be done backwards, with the player promising payment afterwards, receiving the bite, and leaving without paying.

Unfortunately, since it is impossible for the money and the bite to be given to the other player at the same time (like in a normal trade) there is very little that can be done about this one. My advice would be to simply raise awareness that this does happen so that players are less likely to fall for it.

The same should be done for exchanging real money for in-game items. You can't stop people doing it, but raising awareness of possible scammers can help stop people making huge mistakes like this.

ISSUE #2 - FINDING TRADING PARTNERS

This one is really frustrating for me to talk about (I received a lot of hate when I tried to talk about this in another thread), but it needs to be said.

For someone who mostly plays solo and has no friends that play the game, it is really difficult to find a random stranger that wants to trade with you.

People who are playing this game are almost always doing something, so if you bother them anywhere except the crafting areas in the towns, they'll just blank you completely. Going into the crafting area in the towns will still yield no results some of the time.

I suppose everyone on the PC's going to respond to this saying "why don't you just use Zone Chat?" The obvious answer to this is...I'm on console, as are many others. We don't have Zone chat, so we're limited to talking to the people in our immediate area. We also don't have Text Chat, so we need to use our voices. Not only is this embarrassing to the person selling the Green Argonian Motif he got from his previous delve, but it's annoying for the people listening who aren't interested.

Another common thing people seem to force down my throat when I talk about this is "Just join a guild. Then you'll have people to trade with". This is a fair point, but it still doesn't work for me. To me, and people like me, joining a guild means I'm committing myself to that guild. I'm not going to pop in and out for a one time thing. If I join a guild, it has to be for something more than just one trade. I understand that this works for others, but not for solo players.

For the sake of solo players everywhere, there needs to be an easily accessible way to contact random strangers for one-off trades.

Giving console players Zone chat would help immensely.

One last thing I have to say: I'm not going to force you to open up a place on the forums to trade stuff, but it's something to think about once you've managed to reduce the number of scammers. It'd help people who are looking for specific items. I've been looking for a roast chicken recipe for two weeks and nobody seems to have one, having a centralised place where people can trade stuff would help immensely as I'd be more likely to find someone that has one there.
Guildmaster of Spectral Liberty - Xbox One - European Megaserver
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    You again???
    The tradingsystem is not faulty, you are, specially in the way you keep pressing the issue.

It is against the forum rules to keep making duplicate posts. So please stop it. My opinion has been given in the earlier thread.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • DuroNL
    DuroNL
    You could always join a trading Guild :smile: which are plenty on this forum to be found, my own Guild included (signature).

For issue 1 though, i agree fully, they need to fix the submit stuff in trade, it can't be true that you are getting scammed because people can back out an item and them submit. Its not like other MMO's i played, where if you would change anything on your side of the deal, the other part would have to resubmit!
    Founder of Daedric Gore, Join us and 140+ members for Chaos! And Xbox an Ambassador
  • Azurephoenix999
    Azurephoenix999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ranique wrote: »
    You again???
    The tradingsystem is not faulty, you are, specially in the way you keep pressing the issue.

It is against the forum rules to keep making duplicate posts. So please stop it. My opinion has been given in the earlier thread.

This is exactly what I'm talking about! You people keep coming in here and filling the thread with things like "There is absolutely nothing wrong with the trading system, you are at fault for saying otherwise. You should stop talking about it because I don't agree with you". You remember how you said in the previous thread that I was disrespecting other people's opinions? Considering the stuff you've been saying to me, that is extremely hypocritical of you.

As for this being a duplicate post, it isn't. Over half of the post is about something completely different, I added the other stuff in because it IS an issue whether or not you seem to think otherwise.
  • Azurephoenix999
    Azurephoenix999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DuroNL wrote: »
    You could always join a trading Guild :smile: which are plenty on this forum to be found, my own Guild included (signature).

For issue 1 though, i agree fully, they need to fix the submit stuff in trade, it can't be true that you are getting scammed because people can back out an item and them submit. Its not like other MMO's i played, where if you would change anything on your side of the deal, the other part would have to resubmit!

I am thinking of joining a trading guild, I just think that there should be an alternative method for the people that don't like the idea of joining one.

Honestly, I wasn't even aware that you could scam via trading this way until a few days ago when I walked into Riften and saw people doing it all over the place. There were so many angry players. I could even hear some of the scammers laughing their heads off.

The issue exists purely because of something Zenimax could have done but didn't, that means it's their responsibility to fix it.
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    You again???

This is exactly what I'm talking about! You people keep coming in here and filling the thread with things like "There is absolutely nothing wrong with the trading system, you are at fault for saying otherwise. You should stop talking about it because I don't agree with you". You remember how you said in the previous thread that I was disrespecting other people's opinions? Considering the stuff you've been saying to me, that is extremely hypocritical of you.

As for this being a duplicate post, it isn't. Over half of the post is about something completely different, I added the other stuff in because it IS an issue whether or not you seem to think otherwise.

As said in the other thread it is perfect to disagree. but it is wrong to opress your opinion onto others, that is what you are constantly doing. Stop that!

You lack any respect from other players and that is why you get zero respect from me!

PC player - EU
  • Azurephoenix999
    Azurephoenix999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You again???

As said in the other thread it is perfect to disagree. but it is wrong to opress your opinion onto others, that is what you are constantly doing. Stop that!

You lack any respect from other players and that is why you get zero respect from me!

I'm not trying to oppress my opinion! You're insisting that I keep quiet about something just because it doesn't affect you!
    You are trying to oppress your opinion on me, so why don't YOU stop that!?

I'm not respecting you because literally all you've done so far tell me to stop talking. You don't deserve my respect!
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    You again???

I'm not trying to oppress my opinion! You're insisting that I keep quiet about something just because it doesn't affect you!

I'm not respecting you because literally all you've done so far tell me to stop talking. You don't deserve my respect!

No I'm not insisting that you keep quiet. I'm insisting that you start respecting people that disagree with you instead of discussing thier opinion all the time and stating and littering your opinion in every inch and corner of this forum.
    That is disrespectfull. You are a lil child that is pouting day in day out cause you don't get what you want. The reason you don't get it is only you are making it into an issue in the first place!

PC player - EU
  • Azurephoenix999
    Azurephoenix999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You again???

No I'm not insisting that you keep quiet. I'm insisting that you start respecting people that disagree with you instead of discussing thier opinion all the time and stating and littering your opinion in every inch and corner of this forum.
    That is disrespectfull. You are a lil child that is pouting day in day out cause you don't get what you want. The reason you don't get it is only you are making it into an issue in the first place!

Yes you are insisting that I keep quiet! You keep telling me that I'm not respecting other people's opinions when all I've done is state my opinion and, when people have told me that my opinion isn't right for whatever reason, stated the reasons why I have said opinion.

You say I'm "littering [my] opinion in every inch and corner of this forum" when I've only brought it up in two places!

Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound when you say that I'm a child pouting when all I'm doing is pointing out an issue in the game? You say that I'm making it into an issue by pointing it out! Well why don't you go and tell the exact same thing to anyone that has ever pointed out an issue with this game!
    Tell them they're all children! Tell them they're only making the game worse by pointing out faults!

It sounds like you're just resorting to petty insults for the sake of making me feel bad.
  • ZOS_MaryB
    Hi there, everyone. Due to repeatedly disruptive behavior in this thread, we are going to close it. We understand that people will disagree from time to time, but we ask that trolling, insulting, and spam are not acceptable behavior on the ESOTU forums. We encourage everyone to take a few minutes and read our Code of Conduct. It outlines the guidelines and expected conduct on our forums.

Spamming: Please do not post spam on the official The Elder Scrolls Online forums. Below are a few examples of what we define as spamming:
    Posting the same message more than once
    Posting messages that are nonsensical or have no real content
    Posting messages or images large enough to disrupt the normal flow of conversation
    Reposting material that has been removed by a member of the ESO Team
    Also, please refrain from posting the same topic in multiple areas of the forum, or cross-posting in an attempt to gain further views or replies. This is considered spamming, and the duplicate threads will be removed.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited Moderation Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base

Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.