Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Gradual FPS Drop

MikeHaggar
MikeHaggar
Soul Shriven
my framerate goes down over time from ~60fps to <10fps. when this happens it seems i can sort of refresh the textures by changing the texture quality to any other option. i have to do this maybe every 10-20 minutes. is there a more permanent fix for this? is there a name for this problem in case i have to look elsewhere or find other threads? GTX960 2gb, 8gb ram, quad amd proc, win8.1
  • jr88
    jr88
    What cpu? Piledriver 8 core?

yeah you need a board/cooling capable/oc etc doing 5ghz with just a 270 and yeah get all kind of drops...mostly down to like 45-50fps etc
    Edited by jr88 on June 29, 2015 3:41PM
  • Moosetasshe
    Moosetasshe
    ✭✭
    I've run into the same thing with the frame rate drop. I've only really noticed it over the last couple of days and with varying degrees of gradual.

I will start at 99 fps and it will start working it's way down over time. I have found that /reloadui gets me back up to 99 but it starts to drop again almost immediately. The drop doesn't seem to be tied to a specific area/activity in the game (e.g. I've seen it just standing in the bank in Craglorn or out collecting mats in other zones).

I've disabled addons and haven't seen an improvement.

gtx980
    i4790k
    16 GB ram
    Win 7 x64
    All drivers up to date (including dx)
    Mooseficent | Dragonknight
    Moosetasshe | Templar

"Give in to the dark side of the force, you knob" - Doug McKenzie
  • MikeHaggar
    MikeHaggar
    Soul Shriven
    jr88 wrote: »
    What cpu? Piledriver 8 core?

A8-6600K quad-core APU @3.9ghz (i disable the onboard graphics in the uefi of course; wasn't looking for an APU but i got it for free).

out of frustration i deleted my UserSettings.txt, which i'd messed around with in the past, and the problem went away. dunno if the NA patch or deleting the file fixed it but the game seems fine for the past hour. it might happen again though; i hadn't fiddled with the file for weeks and only noticed the problem within the past few days, like Moosetasshe. until then maybe deleting that file can help someone if the recent patch doesn't.

EDIT: I was mistaken, as soon as i got my alt out of bleakrock (small starter island) it's happening again.
    Edited by MikeHaggar on June 29, 2015 11:45PM
  • pcripper39ub17_ESO
    Same problem here. Last couple of days fps starts at 85 or so, then gradually drops. It'll get down to about 30 fps when I reload ui and as soon as I do it jumps back up to 85 or so. Addons/No addons/riding, walking, sitting still, doesn't matter. Just a gradual drop in framerate til I reload ui. Takes anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes to degrade to that point.
  • Krysalan8415
    Krysalan8415
    ✭✭
    Same here, frame rate starts at around 99fps and gradually drops over time, I've had it go as low as 10fps. /reloadui brings the fps back up to normal but the gradual slow down starts all over again.

I rolled my NVidia drivers back yesterday to see if that helps, I'll repost if that does any good.

Specs:

CPU 4790K
    GTX970 Strix
    250Gb SSD
    16Gb RAM
    Windows 7 64bit
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO in OpenGL mode used to slow down over time. Then ZOS rolled out patch which fixed it (they called it Mac fix).
    Anyway, most likely memory leak and regression.
  • MikeHaggar
    MikeHaggar
    Soul Shriven
    speaking of opengl, i do get the same problem whether i switch to that, d3d9, or d3d10. also, i have to change a graphical setting to get my fps back up. reloadui doesn't give me the temporary fix, strangely
    Edited by MikeHaggar on July 1, 2015 5:26PM
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here, I'm running on fps 10 average now.. if it runs at all before it crashes shortly after starting it.
    Venus Ocean - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Gixia - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Frances Demnevanni - Breton Dragonknight VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Raygee - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Lady Olivieri - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Donna Demnevanni - Breton Templar VR16, DC, Tamriel Hero
    Elaine Benes - Breton Templar VR16, EP | Ray McCluck - Breton Sorcerer VR16, EP
    Moonshadow Demnevanni - Dunmer Dragonknight Lvl 50, EP | Jamie Stacey - Redguard Templar Lvl 50, EP
    Caia Cosades - Imperial Nightblade, EP

• Silverforte
    Silverforte
    ✭✭
    I've noticed fps problems since the last update as well. However when it happens to me, it only lasts for about a half second. Framerate drops from 60 to 5-10, then back up and it's usually in combat.
  • Rohaus
    Rohaus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the exact same issue but I had also updated Advanced UI on the same day as the latest patch... Didn't take me long to find out it was the latest version of advanced UI causing the problem. You can read similar posts about advanced UI over on the site hosting that Addon. I rolled back to the previous version of advanced UI and the low frame rates disappeared.

My recommendation... Check your addons...
    YouTube channel Rohaus Lives!
    Daggerfall Covenant
    VR16 DragonKnight
  • Krysalan8415
    Krysalan8415
    ✭✭
    Yep, disabling Advanced UI worked for me. I only use it for the quick-slot bar so I'll probably try a different add-on for that.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't need to disable Advanced UI, just roll-back to the previous version of the add-on and you'll be fine.
  • ottobot
    ottobot
    ✭✭✭
    I rolled back AUI and I still have the problem.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ottobot wrote: »
    I rolled back AUI and I still have the problem.

To pre-scroll-text version ??? strange...

• MikeHaggar
    MikeHaggar
    Soul Shriven
    Rohaus wrote: »
    I had the exact same issue but I had also updated Advanced UI on the same day as the latest patch... Didn't take me long to find out it was the latest version of advanced UI causing the problem. You can read similar posts about advanced UI over on the site hosting that Addon. I rolled back to the previous version of advanced UI and the low frame rates disappeared.

My recommendation... Check your addons...

thanks, worked for me. there was an update to AUI yesterday and that was fine too.

Edited by MikeHaggar on July 6, 2015 1:37PM