The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Viability of 2 handed weapons?

LotusBladedancer
I would love to make a 2 handed dps warrior (either DK or Templar) but as I rarely if ever see anyone using a 2 handed weapon in game (every warrior I meet seems to be using either bow or dual wield), I am thinking... is 2 handed a viable weapon choice? or should I just follow the herd and use dual wield?

As always, all advice appreciated
  • Stannum
    Stannum
    ✭✭✭✭
    it is.
    read this topic (its about NB, but still aplyes DK or templar). Anyway its better to use weapon swap after lev15 and have several weapon skilllines. And 2H is good skilline to start with.
  • BurtFreeman
    BurtFreeman
    ✭✭✭
    weapon choice depend almost on the build you take, stamina or magika focused.

2h was the first weapon skill i trained early in learning the game, on my first dk char: you can be fine with 2h, but i think a dk magicka build get the best from an inferno staff.

now all my alts are going for magika, so my weapon choice is easy: destro and resto staff, sometime double destro, sometimes even double resto.
    Edited by BurtFreeman on July 1, 2015 7:09AM
  • LotusBladedancer
    Thanks for advice, i'll look into making a 2 Hander/Dual wield Dk (either Dunmer or Redguard) - I'm wanting a heroic melee steel-clad knight, and sadly a staff wielding robe wearing pseudo mage doesn't feel right to me - even though sadly it is the most powerful build...
  • Ratbert
    Ratbert
    ✭✭
    I would love to make a 2 handed dps warrior (either DK or Templar) but as I rarely if ever see anyone using a 2 handed weapon in game (every warrior I meet seems to be using either bow or dual wield), I am thinking... is 2 handed a viable weapon choice? or should I just follow the herd and use dual wield?

As always, all advice appreciated

I run a 2hd as my secondary on my templar and he smashes face on questing mobs. I love using Expert Hunter skill morphed to Evil Hunter with my 2hd setup dealing with undead/daedra. I even run it as the main tank in dungeons on trash mobs swapping to my sword/board when we hit bosses. When not fighting undead I'll swap out Evil Hunter for my solar shield so I don't have to swap over to sword/board setup just to cast that or I may throw something else in there when the mood strikes.

I'm probably 55% health, 40% stamina, 5% magika on my points. I use a few magika skills during fight so I have just enough to deal with that but most my attacks are stamina based. Been working pretty well for me so far.

I'm xbox one though not sure how well all that translates to PC if you are a PC person.
  • Masterhand911
    Everything is viable. 2 handed makes up for the smaller dps in exchange for lots of stun moves.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been running a 2h nightblade for a long time now, it's entirely viable and a really fun weapon set.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • reften
    reften
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2H is your off-bar weapon of choice due to rally. Switch to 2H, pop rally, camo hunter, mirage, procs det, switch to DW, ambush, fear, steel tornado #winning
    Reften
    Bosmer (Wood Elf)
    Moonlight Crew (RIP), Misfitz (RIP), Victorem Guild

VR16 NB, Stam build, Max all crafts.

Azuras & Trueflame. Mostly PvP, No alts.

Semi-retired till the lag is fixed.

Love the Packers, Bourbon, and ESO...one of those will eventually kill me.