Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Helpful Advice To Brand New Players

CuteLilBunny
CuteLilBunny
✭✭
1. If your having trouble finishing a quest, you can find an easier one to level up, search for Skyshards for extra skill points.
2. Do not loot EVERYTHING, your bags can fill up super quick, and if your just starting out, it's not alot of bag space.
3. People who are moderators ingame always have Z infront of their names.
4. Fishing is actually very cheap, you can hunt bugs and small creatures like rats to give you bait.
5. Always be on the look out for things like Jute Plants and Ore, sometimes you'll even find a chest.
6. Buy ALOT of lockpicks, the lockpicking system can be tricky and you may need to go through alot.
7. If you arrive at your target enemy and someone else kills it first, do not panic wait a few seconds and they will respawn.
8. Once your out of the first area example Glenumbra, there will be a city in the next area that allows you to redo skills for gold.
9. Any Class can use any weapon and wear any armor.
10. If you go to a dye station be aware that achievements is what unlocks dyes.
11. Go out of bounds get killed by Slaughter fish, yeah you get an achievement for that.
Edited by CuteLilBunny on June 29, 2015 10:12PM
Shouriko Dark Elf Ebonheart Pact

When the housecat gives away your position.
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    2. Do not loot EVERYTHING, your bags can fill up super quick, and if your just starting out, it's not alot of bag space.

actually selective looting is very time consuming ... auto-looting everything saves a lot of time and if you don't mind, selling the extras to town and roaming merchants can help. Looting everything gives materials for style crafting and provisioning. Utilise bank space as often as possible, but expanding bank space is expensive. Having a few lvl 3 bank mules can support storage.

The first 2 back pack expansions are worth while, and if you have a cheap horse from Crowns or Imperial edition you can start buffing your horse and therefore your personal carriage space buying 1 slot per day for 250g
    6. Buy ALOT of lockpicks, the lockpicking system can be tricky and you may need to go through alot.

if you loot everything you will never need to buy lockpicks
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• CuteLilBunny
    CuteLilBunny
    ✭✭
    Yes loot the trash loot it all.

Half the stuff you get isn't worth ANYTHING

• CuteLilBunny
    CuteLilBunny
    ✭✭
    And you can get WAY better stuff from a chest if your just starting out then what you loot, their not vets or high levels if their starting out, their loot pool is low unless they get very lucky.

• CuteLilBunny
    CuteLilBunny
    ✭✭
    Thats why it said Brand new players not people who have played for a week

• likelolwhat
    likelolwhat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Advice to new forum users:

There is an edit function.
    Forever looking for that one avatar that no one else has...

The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - the definitive source for Elder Scrolls info. Proud founding member of the official PC UESP guild, NA server.
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes loot the trash loot it all.

Half the stuff you get isn't worth ANYTHING

Its all about opinions ... yours and mine don't have to agree for us to share them.

Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

• Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    8. Once your out of the first area example Glenumbra, there will be a city in the next area that allows you to redo skills for gold.
    I'm in AD, but I haven't found anyone who can reset my skills. I'm now in, uh, er, the area after Grahtwood. I forget its name.

Also, can you elaborate more on this? For example, a few questions:
    -Is this an all or nothing option or can we select specific skills?

-Can we "undo" morph skills? I accidentally selected the wrong one and would like to get it back to base to select the other one.

-I'm going to assume resetting a skill also resets its entire base. However, if we have the experience, can we replace them? For example, say I have Woodworking 4. Can I reset this, then add only up to Woodworking 3?

-Finally, who would I talk to in game to do this?

Thanks. :)
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    Full refund of Attributes by themselves

Full refund of Skill points by themselves or Morph only subset

You can then reallocate them as you choose, the cost is based on the number of points to refund

Championship points different, don't need a shrine, do from Options interface for a flat fee of 3000g

AD respec shrines are in Elden Root ground floor

• Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like I'm going back to Grahtroot. Thanks! I only want to reset the morph, so I don't intend to make this a habit.

It'll suck to lose the ranking (I think it's up to 4 now), but oh well. It'll rebuild quickly enough, thanks to specific armor traits of exp in skill trees. :)
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭

If you are just starting out -- you might want to buy a few lock picks, but please do not but a lot of them. Gold is precious when you are just starting to play and lock picks can be found in so many places. Before long you will have more than you can possibly ever use. My guild has stacks and stacks of lock picks just sitting in the bank because players find so many.

• Lifeshield
    Lifeshield
    ✭✭
    Personally I loot everything. All those 1g's and 2g's soon mount up if you sell regularly.

I don't spend cash at low level on gear either. I just use what I find. This saves you a fair amount of money early on.

Sell everything that you do not need and be disciplined with your purchasing.
    XBL: Unreal Warfare
    Xbox One - EU Server
    Selket Shadowdancer - Bosmer Nightblade - Daggerfall Covenant
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »
    Looks like I'm going back to Grahtroot. Thanks! I only want to reset the morph, so I don't intend to make this a habit.

It'll suck to lose the ranking (I think it's up to 4 now), but oh well. It'll rebuild quickly enough, thanks to specific armor traits of exp in skill trees. :)

You won't lose the ranking - once you have a skill at morph level IV it stays there forever. You can respec, use the skill points elsewhere and then come back later on, spend 2 points and instantly morph that skill to L IV - I know this because I've done it several times to level skills when points were in short supply.
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welp, the servers are acting wonky tonight, so I bailed. Now that I have a bit of free time, I'll post some other helpful tips (as I'm still learning myself).

-I don't recommend trying to boost every skill early. There's plenty of time to fill them all, so being patient will be helpful in the long run. Figure out what kind of character you want to play, and the skill line you want to develop, and focus on that.

-Manage your skill points carefully. Spending them as soon as you get them may not be a wise decision, especially if another skill is ready to increase. I recommend keeping 1 or 2 on hand.

-For crafting, focus on either alchemy or provisioning, but not both. Each has their pros and cons, so plan accordingly.
    Alchemy ingredients can be difficult to find and requires many failures before potions can be "discovered".
    Provisioning requires recipes for better buffs, so be prepared to steal. Entering homes and searching can net you recipes, though this means exploring many homes not attached to quests.

For weapons and armor, determine what you're going to use and stick to it. Heavy armor and metal-based weapons needs only Blacksmithing, but keep in mind you'll need quite a bit of ore.

For medium/light armor, you'll need to focus on two crafting skills: clothing and either blacksmith or woodworking. Light and Medium armors are under Clothing. The first 8 armor types are LIGHT armor, and the latter 8 are medium (starting with the Jack). Be sure to remember this, or you'll be crafting the wrong type of armor.

Light armor requires plant harvesting, just as Jute.

Medium armor requires animal kills with hides, such as bears, gators, and imps, for just a few examples.

Because you are focusing on two types of crafting skills, you'll have to balance out the fact you won't be earning exp as fast as blacksmith only, so consider this in your development.

-If a boss is too difficult, keep trying. After a few tries, the game will lower the difficulty.

-If you're in a dungeon and die, don't spend a soul gem to revive. Instead, select the Wayshrine option. You will re-appear at the door to the entrance of the dungeon. If you're outside, and are killed, you will be located at the nearest wayshrine. This will help from spending soul gems unnecessarily.

-As CuteLilBunny said, don't collect everything, especially if it's white colored. Selling them nets you nothing, and breaking them down rarely grants you anything, save for maybe 1 or 2 materials. Not worth carrying. However, keep 5 spaces open for colored items that you can either break down or sell, which are general drops from bosses. Clear your inventory BEFORE you enter a dungeon.

-Speaking of dungeons, explore them carefully, even if the boss seems to be found early. Many skyshards are in dungeons, usually buried further into it.

-I'm saving the best for last, but here goes: Get ready to die. Often. Don't get mad, because it's going to happen. You can't win them all, especially if you're alone. Some bosses have attributes that can literally kill you in one hit if you're not expecting it. Controllers aren't that cheap, so they're not worth throwing if dying upsets you.

Patience is key in this game, and this also means taking time to craft the character you want to play, not the "do everything" often afforded in other TES games.

Sit back, relax, and enjoy! See you on the battlefield. :P
  • Kahnvik
    Kahnvik
    I did not know that the game would lower a boss if I die enough, Thank You !

• Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's usually on the 4th or 5th try. It can't be a coincidence the fight becomes much easier, so I'm guessing the game adjusts since you're alone.

I've had this happen several times, so that's when it clicked for me.
  • Masterhand911
    Advice to new forum users:

There is an edit function.

gonna need some ice for that burn
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »
    It's usually on the 4th or 5th try. It can't be a coincidence the fight becomes much easier, so I'm guessing the game adjusts since you're alone.

I've had this happen several times, so that's when it clicked for me.

The game does lower the difficulty of bosses in solo instances after you have made several attempts. However, it does not lower the difficulty for anything in the open world, public dungeons, delves, group dungeons, etc.