The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Research

Badgerthechef
Hey,

Bit Of A Rookie When It Comes To The Depth These Sort Of Games :s , Played Oblivion & Skyrim Before, But Never Used Crafting To Its Full Advantage.

Got A Few Questions;

1. What Is The Research All About?
2. I Have Some Jewels Etc That Add Different "Perks" To My Stuff, How Do I Use These?

I Am A Wood Elf, So I Know I Have To Have Bone To Craft Armour, Weapons Etc ... So What Should I Do With All The Other Materials I Have, Can I Make Other Races Items?

Regards,
The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood

Best Answer

• MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Research gives you the ability to use those "jewels" (trait stones) when you craft items. You must research a trait on a specific item before you can craft that item with that trait. Also, the special crafting stations that can be found out in the wild need you to have researched a certain amount of traits on an item before you can craft anything with the set bonuses.

Example: You find a bow with the training trait - you research it (this WILL destroy the item) - once research is complete, you will be able to craft bows with the training trait (as long as you have the correct stone). You will NOT be able to craft anything else with the training trait - just bow. You need to research each item for each armor/weapon individually the learn the traits.

Example 2: You head to the death's wind crafting station - this station requires you know 2 traits. Let's say you have researched 3 items for bow, 1 item for sash, and 4 items for helmet. You will be able to craft a bow and helmet with the special set bonus perks at that station, but not the sash.

I have video guides explaining traits, research and crafting if you want to check them out.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/157735/the-beginners-guide-a-work-in-progress
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
    Answer ✓
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yes, there are passives to make research happen faster, plus ESO+ members gets 10% faster research. The skill line passive also allows you to research more items at once.

Each time you research a trait - the time doubles. So, you researched training on bow and it took 6 hours.. once that is done you could research exploration on bow and it will take 12 hours, or you could research training on resto staff and it will take 6 (if you had never researched anything for resto staff before)
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Badgerthechef
    MissBizz,

Thank You For That Nugget Of Information.

When I Go To Research Somethings It Only Comes Up With 1 Thing I Can Research For A Bow (As An Example), It Won't Let Me Research Anything I Want ... If That Makes Any Sense At All?

Regards,
    The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I Make Other Races Items?
    In order to make such items you first need to have found and used the appropriate motif that teaches your crafter that races' designs, then you can use the ore item to craft that style.

Note motifs are per-character, so if you have two characters one of which is, say, a Clothier and the other a Blacksmith they would both need to find and use a race's motif to make both types of gear in that style.

Edited by KerinKor on June 30, 2015 1:50PM
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In order to research an item - you must have an item that has that trait already. So what that means is you probably one have one item with a trait on it that you can research. As well - you need to be at the right crafting station (woodworking to research a wood item, clothing to research a med or light armor item)

You can find traited items from mob loot, or purchase them from guild traders - or maybe from people in your guild.

As per your example: that must mean you only have 1 bow in your inventory with a trait on it. Go out and find more bows with different traits ;)
    Edited by MissBizz on June 30, 2015 1:53PM
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MissBizz,

Thank You For That Nugget Of Information.

When I Go To Research Somethings It Only Comes Up With 1 Thing I Can Research For A Bow (As An Example), It Won't Let Me Research Anything I Want ... If That Makes Any Sense At All?

Regards,

You can only research traits if you have an item with that trait. You cannot just pick a trait and research it. If you have multiple items with different traits, you would have multiple traits to select from to research, i.e. one for every unique trait item you have. These items get consumed when you research them. Hope this is what you are looking for.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)