Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crown Store vs ESO Plus

ThePonzzz
ThePonzzz
✭✭✭✭✭
Help me understand why ESO Plus is the better purchase. I just noticed I can buy 5500 Crowns for $39.95. I could subscribe for 3 months for either $44.97 to achieve 4500 crowns or pay all upfront for $41.85. The ESO Plus gives me access to DLC (none exist) and 10% bonuses to things I've mastered already. I could cap and save myself 10% of the time it would take to get to VR14 from VR12, but that doesn't feel appealing to get even closer to not having any more goals. The gold is a net gain of about 2 to 10 gold max per interaction that can give me gold.

I know I've mentioned this in another thread, but this also seems to be a marketing flaw. Unless the DLC is going to be costing more than 5000 crowns, it seems better to just buy crowns if the content looks like something I could enjoy. And there have been no plans on additional end game content. So this could be a long ways away.
Edited by ThePonzzz on May 20, 2015 10:11PM
  • ThePonzzz
    ThePonzzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn auto correct. Edition should read additional.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been thinking the same. I can't see a subscription being the better choice until we reach a point where there's multiple DLCs on sale so it's better to subscribe and try them all then use the free crowns to buy the one/s you like. And it looks like it's going to be a long time before that happens.

A while ago I made a thread to discuss the idea of higher priced crown packs also giving 1 month of sub time, but even after the poll and discussion I'm still not sure if that would be a good idea or not.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Julianos
    Julianos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ThePonzzz wrote: »

you can edit your original post by clicking little cog icon on the top left corner dude:)
    Edited by Julianos on May 20, 2015 8:36PM
  • ThePonzzz
    ThePonzzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Axorn wrote: »

you can edit your original post by clicking little cog icon on the top left corner dude:)

Not on an original post.
  • Julianos
    Julianos
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not on an original post.

i mean your first post
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The price of the crown pack that equals 1 month worth of crowns (1500) is the equivalent price, but you are correct in noticing it's slightly cheaper to purchase large crown packs. It all comes down to personal preference. We currently have no idea what DLC will cost. I'm sure you are aware already, keep in mind the 10% bonus also counts toward champion points. Some people that isn't worth it, for me personally, I was already paying a sub before and if I'm not playing enough to warrant paying that sub, I won't be playing enough to care I don't have access to the DLC during that time. I am currently working on my 9th trait (nirn) for everything, so that 10% bonus to ME is great, as well, I tend to be broke.. so that little extra gold and whatnot is worth it to me. It very well may not be worth it for others though
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not on an original post.

Oh, and the edit the original post, the little cog is to the left right of the thread title.. rather than the usual upper right corner of your post.
    Edited by MissBizz on May 20, 2015 8:57PM
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah yes.......it's true ESO plus is.....wait for it.......just a way for ZOS to guarantee income from it's loyal members thereby creating stability in their budgets. Nothing more nothing less.

When they realized that they had to literally throw everything they had at the console launch to make it successful (to the detriment of PC and future content) they realized that they had no way to legitimately ask for subscription money. Soooo they went B2P and that was the solution when having no new content to offer.

This model creates large instability in their budgets so they offer the opportunity to still sub and as it is currently, for some pretty useless perks for most of us who have been here for awhile.

So unless your leveling or researching there is really no reason to sub other than........a need to help a hurting business model to maintain stability in it's struggle to stay afloat.

EDIT: you could argue that over time the 10%+ to XP will help with CPs, but when viewed short term, it's not going to make a big diferrence. You'd have to stay subbed for like 2 years and then look at how much XP you "saved". By then it may of made an impact.
    Edited by Cuyler on May 20, 2015 9:04PM
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we knew what the content release schedule was, then these decisions would be easier to make.

However seeing how my VRs are gaining levels like never before, I like the ESO+ I think I will be able to easily hit VR13/VR14 by the time I finish Gold. This based on my Sorcerer who is 3/4 of the way to VR9 and still has some things in Glenumbra to finish. With 4 more zones, I know I can gain 5 levels where I would not be able to without some grind if I did not have ESO+

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• oddavi
    oddavi
    ✭✭✭
    And if a dlc is 5000 i expect a frickin big mega jumbo sized dlc ( Like an expansion pack ) not only one zone
    Edited by oddavi on May 20, 2015 9:09PM
  • Heromofo
    Heromofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oddavi wrote: »
    And if a dlc is 5000 i expect a frickin big mega jumbo sized dlc ( Like an expansion pack ) not only one zone

I will be surprised if dlc is 5000 crowns due to some motifs costing that much.....
  • nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Bonus XP. It's not for everyone. $ for $, I would imagine the Crown Shop is a better 'deal' right now, considering there are no DLCs / Expansions to buy.
    Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuyler wrote: »
    EDIT: you could argue that over time the 10%+ to XP will help with CPs, but when viewed short term, it's not going to make a big diferrence. You'd have to stay subbed for like 2 years and then look at how much XP you "saved". By then it may of made an impact.

I took out the rest since that's not what I'm commenting on. Anyways - yes, in the short term, 10% is not much at all, but in the long run it helps a bit. It's like speeding.. speeding to a destination 15 minutes away will literally save you seconds... speeding somewhere 12 hours away will save you some minutes (or hey, maybe even an hour;) but likely not) If you care about those seconds, maybe it's something to you.. if you don't care about those couple seconds, won't be worth it.
  • ThePonzzz
    ThePonzzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »

Not on an original post.

Oh, and the edit the original post, the little cog is to the left right of the thread title.. rather than the usual upper right corner of your post.

Aha! That must have changed at some point! Thank you for that!
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heromofo wrote: »

I will be surprised if dlc is 5000 crowns due to some motifs costing that much.....

If it's more than 5,000 there will need to be a lot in each DLC to justify the price.

5,500 crowns is £23.99, that's half the price of the full game (£49.99 in the same store) and not far off the price of some brand new games (e.g. The Witcher 3, currently £30.65 on Amazon).

Now if each DLC is basically an expansion pack with several hours of new content, new zones, new items etc. etc. that's fine. If it's one quest line or something like the current guilds (quest line, dungeon tie-ins and skill line) it's not going to be worth it. I'd rather put my money towards a new game I'll get dozens or hundreds of hours from.

Or actually subscribe for a month, play the whole thing and then cancel the sub once I've finished it.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heromofo wrote: »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it's a mistake to think there's any correlation between the pricing model for cosmetic items and the pricing model for DLC.

The target market for cosmetic items is much narrower than the target market for DLC. The number of sales that are needed for a cosmetic item to be considered successful are vastly lower than the number of sales that are needed for a DLC to be considered successful.

That being the case, you can put the price point for a cosmetic item where you believe you'll maximize your return. So you want to price it low enough that the majority of the people who would be interested in that particular item anyway are willing to buy it, but high enough that you'll get as much from that market segment as possible. A cosmetic item will never appeal to the entire player base, however, so you don't worry so much about trying to make it cheap enough that everyone will want it. You don't need to worry so much about the perceived value of the cosmetic, because it's not something that actually affects gameplay.

With DLC you absolutely want it to appeal to the entire player base (or as large a segment of it as possible). That means you have to make sure that the price point is such that the majority of the player base will consider it to be a good value, and will buy it (or subscribe long enough to play through it - either works).

Entirely different pricing models, with no relation to each other.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • justin.sniesakub17_ESO
    I won't become a subscriber again unless one of the two happens:
    There is a sub option without the XP boost at a reduced price, like $9.99 a month
    Or
    The loyalty program is reinstated
    For the night is dark and full of terrors.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps ESO Plus isn't worth it for leveled players, but the boost to XP, quest gold, crafting research and crafting inspiration is worth it for new players IMO. Not only that, but we're also helping to support the game as well.
    CP: 1930 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Snit
    Snit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO plus is poor value for money. There's almost no value at all. However, it is a way to support the game if you love it and want to see continued development. That is why I'm subbed.
    Snit AD Sorc
    Ratbag AD Warden Tank
    Goblins AD Stamblade

• ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I don't know about having no value... 1500 Crowns per month is the equivalent of $15.00 if you didn't buy Crowns in larger quantities, plus once they add DLCs, those will be included, along with the increase of 10% XP, quest gold, etc. I used to go round and round with players in DCUO who'd say that subbing wasn't worth it, and then I'd break down the price of included items versus buying them outright... I believe it came out to be, if purchased annually, almost even. Sure, if you never buy anything from the Crown Store, and already have characters with hundreds of thousands of gold, then I could see it not appearing to have value... but again, for newer players, there is plenty of value for the $15/mo subscription IMO.
    CP: 1930 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Snit
    Snit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    Well, I don't know about having no value... 1500 Crowns per month is the equivalent of $15.00...

It's store credit in a shop with empty shelves. There's almost nothing to buy, unless you're one of those "I must collect every single reskinned mount and pet" folks. I feel badly for them.
    Snit AD Sorc
    Ratbag AD Warden Tank
    Goblins AD Stamblade