The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PS4 does NOT play at 30 FPS. Major FPS drops, stuttering etc and no dev answer yet...

• nastuug
    nastuug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe alot of issues are also caused not by lag but because of hard drive load. On PC is run at around 70 or higher FPS and ping is sitting steady at around 90 - 110. But still, when entering a new busy area, the load time for e.g. NPCs, smaller items e.g. around the undaunted area (chests, tents, ...) , doors as well, stairs, ... can be high. So first you see a low level detailed skin and later the high res loads. Same goes for talking to NPCs.

You see something similar on PS4 (don't have an xbox). People running around in black because the skin/mesh hasn't loaded yet.

I believe this is all due because of the slow capacity of the HD. My laptop came with the standard slow HD5800RpM. I recently swapped that one for an SSD - now guess what? All of the above is gone.

I tested and tried several things over the last year and got a very stable game. The last issue for me was solved by replacing my HD with an SSD.

If I'm right, ZOS has a serious issue for PS4 and likely also X-box. To my knowledge, you cannot change the HD on PS4 so only solution is downscaling the level of detail .... bummer I guess.

If that is true, I'll stick to PC and will never look back.

@Caesar%20Tantalia It's not just the HDD; it's a bottleneck of information traveling through all hardware. CPU, GPU, RAM, onboard Ethernet/wireless card, HDD/SSD, etc. The consoles are using inferior types of hardware for these demanding games. It's nothing new.
    Edited by nastuug on June 10, 2015 5:57PM
  • Xendyn
    Xendyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    *blink*
    and once again I click to read responses on a thread and end up in another section lol

Dorothy, we aren't in General anymore!
    Lag is ruinin' my 'mershun!
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance - Socrates
    Member of the Old Guard, keepers of the game's history

PC/NA
  • nastuug
    nastuug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xendyn wrote: »
    *blink*
    and once again I click to read responses on a thread and end up in another section lol

Dorothy, we aren't in General anymore!

They think low quality hardware = Tech Support issue. lol
  • Turkeysammich
    Turkeysammich
    ✭✭✭
    BigM wrote: »
    Same goes in PC/MAC but right now it is better for us, a lot have left us so makes it a lot smoother.

Upgrade you graphics card lmao, no issues at all on my pc , but yeah, somethibg needs to be done about PS4 version.
    Edited by Turkeysammich on June 10, 2015 6:03PM
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sallington wrote: »
    JD2013 wrote: »
    I wasn't aware the
    nastuug wrote: »
    helbjorn wrote: »
    I had this same issue on PC around hubs and highly populated dungeons and always assumed it was lag. I decreased my graphics quality slightly and the problem resolved completely and immediately. FPS remains in the 40's since and the game still looks great.

Agreed. The problem the OP is experiencing is most likely due to playing on potato hardware.

100% correct. I don't know what people expected the game ot perform like when they are running it on AMD mobile-grade processors. You take an MMO, which are notoriously CPU-bound, and then expect anything near steady FPS when playing on said hardware? I've been wondering how they were going to pull it off since day 1, and the answer is, you can't.

Hell, on PC in Cyrodil i regularly dropped into the 30s my i7-4790k . Good luck with that on consoles.

EDIT: And for people calling this LAG, it is NOT lag. Lag is when you're are sitting at 60FPS, but nothing is responsive. No attacks are registering, you rubberband back and forth, everyone else is immobile, etc. Lag is a network or server issue. FPS drops and stuttering are hardware issues.

@Sallington Exactly. I guess the average console user doesn't understand the severe limitation of the piddling hardware that is their XB1/PS4...

The funny part is that the same hardware needs to last another 4-5 years somehow.

I wasn't aware the ESO forums had turned into the PC Master Race circle. And I say this as a PC player.

Am I wrong? Saying their hardware needs to last another 4-5 years is just the truth. Unless I missed something and consoles can be upgraded.

To be honest, I'm just bitter because the console release has been a gigantic slap in the face to any PC player who supported the game since launch.

@Sallington No, you're not wrong. In point of fact I have PS4 ESO as well as PC, and the graphics on PS4 actually made my eyes hurt. I nipped back on PC and was very relieved at how aesthetically gorgeous the game is on PC.

I also understand and indeed share your bitterness at the lack of content and bug fixes. I would sell my soul for Imperial City at the moment.

But making comments like that won't bring anything faster. Of course PC hardware is better because it can be upgraded. The PC version is my main account and it's a better fit for MMO's. But gone are the days of series like Elder Scrolls being on PC only. E3 is where the news will come. I guarantee it.

Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • Pallmor
    Pallmor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe alot of issues are also caused not by lag but because of hard drive load. On PC is run at around 70 or higher FPS and ping is sitting steady at around 90 - 110. But still, when entering a new busy area, the load time for e.g. NPCs, smaller items e.g. around the undaunted area (chests, tents, ...) , doors as well, stairs, ... can be high. So first you see a low level detailed skin and later the high res loads. Same goes for talking to NPCs.

You see something similar on PS4 (don't have an xbox). People running around in black because the skin/mesh hasn't loaded yet.

I believe this is all due because of the slow capacity of the HD. My laptop came with the standard slow HD5800RpM. I recently swapped that one for an SSD - now guess what? All of the above is gone.

I tested and tried several things over the last year and got a very stable game. The last issue for me was solved by replacing my HD with an SSD.

If I'm right, ZOS has a serious issue for PS4 and likely also X-box. To my knowledge, you cannot change the HD on PS4 so only solution is downscaling the level of detail .... bummer I guess.

I've actually been thinking about upgrading my PS4 hard drive with a SSD. Might be a good time.
  • Caesar Tantalia
    Caesar Tantalia
    ✭✭✭

@Caesar%20Tantalia It's not just the HDD; it's a bottleneck of information traveling through all hardware. CPU, GPU, RAM, onboard Ethernet/wireless card, HDD/SSD, etc. The consoles are using inferior types of hardware for these demanding games. It's nothing new.

absolutely - it's always a combination but I ruled out everything on PC by either fixing/upgrading therefore singling out this one issue (slow loading of textures which sometimes seems like lag but isn't), therefore knowing my HDD was a serious bottleneck. My old HDD has exactly the same speed as the HDD on a PS4 - hence my conclusion.

• Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Waiting for "Upgrade your machine bruh" response lol.

This is basically what PC players have been hearing for a year... nope couldn't have anything to do with game coding.. must be your PC.

Kind of hard to say "must be your PS4/XBone" tho....
  • Caesar Tantalia
    Caesar Tantalia
    ✭✭✭
    Pallmor wrote: »

I've actually been thinking about upgrading my PS4 hard drive with a SSD. Might be a good time.

I build PCs for fun but I am a noob when it comes to consoles. Didn't know you could swap HDD with SSD for a PS4. Thanks for the info

• treyu86
    treyu86

You people are seeing this as if suddenly the game is just released for PC and somehow you can do a trick and play it on your ps4.... They game has been released on ps4 WITH ITS OWN VERSION for consoles. That mean, that they have (or were supposed to) been working 1 year to get a console version that must play good with the console hardware, no lag and with 30fps and stable. Consoles are inferior in hardware, that is why they had to work to create a new version of the game specific for the console: worse graphics, worse distant view, different ui, different controls etc etc etc. The thing is, that this CONSOLE VERSION has some problem, and it is NOT LAG (there can be lag too, but I am not talking about it) where turning your camera around, moving forthward running or whatever you do, in whatever map you are, with players or alone, you get FPS drops that give you stuttering and a not very fluid gaming experience. Compare it as when you play in PC with constant 10 FPS.

This has to be a bug, I can't beleive they have said it will run at 30fps and have put so much effort in this console release and the game is like this at the moment, it has to be something that can be fixed. Look at FF14, it is an mmo, it plays on ps4 and it has pretty graphics, lot of population and it does not play like this. If they decided to release it on ps4 I assume it is because they studied it and knew it could be perfectly ported to the console. but the current version? it HAS FPS DROPS, constantly, which is bad. And I have seen ZERO answers from devs in these forums about it.Period.
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the exact same issue that PC players have been complaining about since update 1.6 came out. System and graphic card memory usage doubled with this patch and nothings been looked at.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Caesar Tantalia
    Caesar Tantalia
    ✭✭✭
    treyu86 wrote: »

You people are seeing this as if suddenly the game is just released for PC and somehow you can do a trick and play it on your ps4.... They game has been released on ps4 WITH ITS OWN VERSION for consoles. That mean, that they have (or were supposed to) been working 1 year to get a console version that must play good with the console hardware, no lag and with 30fps and stable. Consoles are inferior in hardware, that is why they had to work to create a new version of the game specific for the console: worse graphics, worse distant view, different ui, different controls etc etc etc. The thing is, that this CONSOLE VERSION has some problem, and it is NOT LAG (there can be lag too, but I am not talking about it) where turning your camera around, moving forthward running or whatever you do, in whatever map you are, with players or alone, you get FPS drops that give you stuttering and a not very fluid gaming experience. Compare it as when you play in PC with constant 10 FPS.

This has to be a bug, I can't beleive they have said it will run at 30fps and have put so much effort in this console release and the game is like this at the moment, it has to be something that can be fixed. Look at FF14, it is an mmo, it plays on ps4 and it has pretty graphics, lot of population and it does not play like this. If they decided to release it on ps4 I assume it is because they studied it and knew it could be perfectly ported to the console. but the current version? it HAS FPS DROPS, constantly, which is bad. And I have seen ZERO answers from devs in these forums about it.Period.

you're right about 'the own version'. I love the Elder Scrolls series but since day one (more than a year ago), I feel that this game has never been truly stress tested. They also believed we could play PvP on a large scale - one year after launch, it seems that they are clueless how to fix this.

A similar approach - at least how I perceive it - has been used for console launch. Beta with small number of people, demos showing 1 or 2 players at a time ...

I sincerely hope that I'm wrong. My PS4 is certainly up for the job if I play on my own, away from busy areas. In busy areas ...

Let's hope you are right but considering the lack of communication for PC on this very issue (performance), I doubt you'll have an answer soon (other than "we are aware and looking for a solution")

• Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robbmrp wrote: »
    This is the exact same issue that PC players have been complaining about since update 1.6 came out. System and graphic card memory usage doubled with this patch and nothings been looked at.

They probably planned on stopping development after the Console release box sales and first couple of DLC.

So no surprise they aren't looking into thing.
  • Fhaerron
    Fhaerron
    ✭✭✭
    treyu86 wrote: »
    PS4 version (don't know if XBoxOne too) is always stuttering, with fps drops while running like it does not feel fluid. It is like playing with110-15 FPS. I have seen plenty of posts about this but no dev answer us or tell us if they know there is a problem with performance in consoles, because there really is. I am not talking about lag due to release and many people online, I am talking about graphic performance in ps4 when we were told that the game would run at constant 30 fps (and we have to remember that graphic quality already got downgraded versus PC)

So can any dev please answer us and adknowledge there is a problem here?

[Moderator Note: Edited title to remove bashing / misinformation]

We were NOT told that the game runs @ 30 FPS on console.
    They said the target was 30FPS @1080P. Which means they where aiming at that but does not mean it will be 30 FPS.

And to other people this does not only happen in towns, but out in the open as well.
    I've posted this in another threat before. It does happen more frequently in towns of course but it does happen a lot in the open too. At least twice frame drops to (20 and below (guessing ofc, based on visual sight)) per 20 seconds and usually takes about 4 seconds. I've tested this out and kept counting and this it's usually around these times in between.

My PC runs it fine at 60 FPS with all setting maxed out. (not counting towns and cyrodiil).

I really don't know how people can play at such rates, it's one of the reasons my new character is only lvl 4.
  • Valnas
    Valnas
    ✭✭✭✭
    upgrade to the pc version, in stores now!
    Fluph Head EP sorc dank magus
    valnäs EP nb
    opHotterslol AD dk
  • Atricios
    Atricios
    ✭✭✭
    I was getting ready to a post that has to do with this, but if it is alright I'd like to put it here.

I just called PlayStation support to find out how I could turn off in game recording.

I've noticed that ESO says it stops recording during the opening credits (Zenimax & Hovok screens) and then once the credits are done ESO says it is recording again.

I too have seen the spikes and pretty much just attribute it to the huge mass of people playing which is undeniable.

So my questing that I was going to post was, is there a way to turn off in game recording?

Edited for additional info.

I would like to add that I have tried recording me playing online games (like Battlefield 4 for PS4) & found that doing so caused significant lag. I left the round, turned it off, and never thought about recording me playing anything ever again.
    Edited by Atricios on June 10, 2015 7:44PM
  • Fhaerron
    Fhaerron
    ✭✭✭
    Atricios wrote: »
    I was getting ready to a post that has to do with this, but if it is alright I'd like to put it here.

I just called PlayStation support to find out how I could turn off in game recording.

I've noticed that ESO says it stops recording during the opening credits (Zenimax & Hovok screens) and then once the credits are done ESO says it is recording again.

I too have seen the spikes and pretty much just attribute it to the huge mass of people playing which is undeniable.

So my questing that I was going to post was, is there a way to turn off in game recording?

I've never thought of that!

That's freaking bs, should give us an easy option to turn off. Game capturing records take a big toll on your overall performance.
  • Atricios
    Atricios
    ✭✭✭
    Fhaerron wrote: »

I've never thought of that!

That's freaking bs, should give us an easy option to turn off. Game capturing records take a big toll on your overall performance.

It sure does.

I forgot to mention how my call to PS4 support ended.

It turns out that PS4 only records when you tell it to, which is why the next thing I did was come here to find out if there is a way to get ESO to stop recording.

Other than that / even with that, I'm having a great time with the game and playing in Tameriel.

And cheers ZOS for recovering so quick on launch night. Hehehehe, we hit your servers pretty hard didn't we?
    Edited by Atricios on June 10, 2015 8:00PM