Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

So wondering about picking Alliances when creating character with friends - Couple of Questions

OMGITSJOEY
OMGITSJOEY
Soul Shriven
So if i want to be a certain race different to a friend will i still be able to play with them or not? like doing dungeons and such?

Also which Race would you suggest if i wanted to be a tank? I am not used to these types of games so i am a little inexperienced :D
  • OMGITSJOEY
    OMGITSJOEY
    Soul Shriven
    Also I am not sure what is meant by the short words for things such as DK or Temp? Because i've looked at the different races and nothing seems to have the initials of DK? Sorry if i am being terribly nooby but i am trying to learn.. :(
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DK - Dragonknight (class)
    Temp or TP - Templar (class)
    NB - Nightblade (class)
    Sorc or SC - Sorcerer (class)

I recommend purchasing the explorer's pack and/or the imperial edition from the crown store.

Explorer's pack will allow you to create any race in any alliance eliminating the problem of race and alliance issues. If you don't purchase the explorer pack then you will need to plan your race carefully if you want to play with them. If you pick 1 of the 3 races within the same alliance as your friend you will still be able to play with them. If you choose one of the other 6 races outside of their alliance then you will not.

Imperial edition will allow you to play as a an imperial, arguably one of the best races for tank. The imperial race does not require the explorer pack to play in any alliance either. You're free to chose whichever as an imperial.

Some tanking combos to think of:

Classes: Dragonknight or Templar
    Races: Imperial, Redguard, Nord, Orc

With that said all the classes can tank although NB and Sorc do not have traditional self heals.

Hope this helps and Happy Hunting! >:)
    Edited by Cuyler on May 28, 2015 7:18PM
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Playing with a friend; race is not important but Alliance is. In the character creation screen Alliance is indicated in the top row of three symbols: Rearing Lion is Daggerfall Covenant, Displayed Eagle is Aldmeri Dominion and the Silhouette of a Dragon indicates Ebonheart Pact.

In the basic game version, only the three races whose symbols line up exactly under any given alliance symbol will be in that alliance (Imperial at the bottom - if you have that version - can be in any).

As long as you and your friend choose the same alliance you may play together. For that matter, if you are physically near (or on skype or gamevox) with your friend you can group immediately on finishing the first part of the Wailing Prison and go through some of Cold Harbor together.

As for what class/character - depends on your personal style (and to some extent the style of those you group/game with).

If you are new and willing to explore the world, and go slow and take your time and occasionally roll up another character, then it really doesn't matter. Have fun! This is my preferred style. In this case, you also want to keep an eye out when you are leveling up your skills - many skills (such as nightblade "siphon"/Funnel health) will eventually morph - one of them only heals you, but the other morph heals more than just you - that is the one to take if you are generally gaming with friends.

If you need to "win" or "get to endgame" or "prove yourself", then take some time to look over the forums and do some google searches to begin to find the "best builds" or the best combos. Beware that due to updates and so on, things will change (details of skills, passives and so on) so this months "best" combination may not be so hot later.

To me that latter way is too stressful and not conducive to fun. But some people go that route.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    race is not important

Although almost all of your info is spot on, I don't think this statement is good advice. The removal of softcaps has put added emphasis on racial passives with some clearly taking advantage over others for certain play styles. Choose your race carefully if you plan to follow through to v14.

Of course OP if you're only here to role play Argonian should do fine ;)

EDIT: I think @ZOS is working on racial change options for the crown store as well....maybe @ZOS_GinaBruno can confirm?
    Edited by Cuyler on May 28, 2015 7:31PM
  • OMGITSJOEY
    OMGITSJOEY
    Soul Shriven
    Wow! unexpected amount of help here! Thank you very much :D Time to make a new char and be a bit more tanky :)
  • OMGITSJOEY
    OMGITSJOEY
    Soul Shriven
    So currently I just have the one char and i think i will continue with him but possibly make him a tank he is a Kajiit and a DK so will i be able to make him a DK? Do you suggest 1 handed and Shield? also what skill points and level points should i add?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    During Leveling (anything below 50) wear all 3 types of armor. Once you unlock the passives that benefit from having 5 pieces on, then go 5/1/1. But until then, just wear what you get from loot drops and try to have one piece at least from Light, Medium and Heavy. Don't worry about set items until you are in the 30's, but if you happen upon a full set before that and it helps your build, by all means use it. BTW, Heavy Armor is better for a Tank, so keep that in mind and perhaps wear more pieces of Heavy than the other ones. But, you want all your armor skills at 50 by the time you get to VR Ranks. This is so if they change the game mechanics, your armor skills are already built up.

At L15 you unlock a second weapon. Good idea to have a ranged attack and a melee (up close attack). One Handed and Shield is optimal for a tank as you get an extra item for armor and to enchant. Start out with that at least. You can easilly master two weapons by the time you get to 50. Once over that, you might want to develop other weapons just for grins. But, just use what you like and what fits your playstyle.

Have one skill from each of the 3 classes on your bar at all times to level those skills (class skills level more slowly) and to build up the Class itself to unlock the passives. You also get bonuses from having class skills slotted so keep that in mind.

Don't be in a rush to level, it will happen as you do quests at a rate that you need it to happen. So, just quest and explore. The other thing to keep in mind is, PvP and Trials are parts of the game that require optimal builds (there are quite a few optimal builds so don't worry) where as Leveling PvE Content, even up to VR10, can be tackled with just about any race, class, weapon and armor you want. Some combos will be much harder than others to do, some will quite easy to do. So that is when you can explore different techniques and skill load outs and weapons and rotations to see what works best for you. In other words, while your buddy may excel at being a DK, you might be better at being a Templar.
    Edited by Nestor on May 28, 2015 8:31PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @OMGITSJOEY what lvl are u currently?
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMGITSJOEY wrote: »
    So currently I just have the one char and i think i will continue with him but possibly make him a tank he is a Kajiit and a DK so will i be able to make him a DK?

I may be misunderstanding here. what I gather is you have a Dragonknight Khajit and you'd like to make him a tank? In general khajit's don't have racial passives that benefit tanks. With that said one of the main tanks I know is a Khajit NB so it can be done. just not optimal.
    Do you suggest 1 handed and Shield?
    Yes
    also what skill points and level points should i add?
    This is tricky as it really depends on play style and availability/commitment. Here is a link to some great Dragonknight builds. There are a couple tank builds on the list there.

Edited by Cuyler on May 28, 2015 8:51PM
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    race is not important

Which I had said in the context of addressing someone's concerns about being able to play with friends. In that case - I stand by my original statement - alliance is what gets you into the right faction/phase, not race.
    Cuyler wrote: »

Although almost all of your info is spot on, I don't think this statement is good advice.

That wasn't advice about playing. I was simply noting that it's alliance, not race, which could bar you from being able to play with a friend.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So currently I just have the one char and i think i will continue with him but possibly make him a tank he is a Kajiit and a DK so will i be able to make him a DK? Do you suggest 1 handed and Shield? also what skill points and level points should i add?

In this game the role of tank is essentially crowd control. 1 hand and shield is the only weapon with a taunt, so it ends up being essential. Use it to get the big baddie to turn away from your buddies so they can attack with more safety. If you are up for youtubing, Deltia of Deltia's gaming has some good videos that not only recommend skills/equipment for tanking, but discuss the reasons why. On the other hand, he's very much a PvP/endgame "I MUST be the best" which both means he is really good at what he does, but so intense that (for me) it would suck the fun right out of it to game that way.

I totally respect him - I just couldn't play like that.
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    race is not important
    Cuyler wrote: »

Although almost all of your info is spot on, I don't think this statement is good advice.

That wasn't advice about playing. I was simply noting that it's alliance, not race, which could bar you from being able to play with a friend.
    I see. I apologize, I misinterpreted it as one may.
    Edited by Cuyler on May 28, 2015 9:01PM
  • OMGITSJOEY
    OMGITSJOEY
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for all help and info! big read... I am currently only level 11 and am taking everything on board, working on getting one spell from each class in my bar like you said and i have some different armor on
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you suggest 1 handed and Shield?

Yes!

& give two handed axe a try, its surprisingly fun!

good luck!
    :)
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }