Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Laptop + ESO

Alatus
Alatus
Soul Shriven
Hello everyone. My old Laptop that I played ESO on has recently failed me. It was a very old Alienware, Pre-Dell. It was old, but it did its job. It just is not worth it for me to fix it (I have had it fixed many times)

Until I have enough saved up for a high priced gaming laptop or desktop, I am looking at these laptops to use in the meantime. I am wondering if any of these laptops can handle ESO. I don't need it to run on beautiful graphics. I just want the game to run until I have enough saved for a better one. I have no credit card so I cannot, buy online. I am pretty much stuck at best buy for now, so here are some of my options. If none work out I guess I will buy the console version, but I would rather not.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-satellite-14-laptop-intel-core-i5-6gb-memory-750gb-hard-drive-satin-gold/3108026.p?id=1219570207962&skuId=3108026

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-6gb-memory-750gb-hard-drive-black-licorice/3787031.p?id=1219601636800&skuId=3787031

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pavilion-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i5-6gb-memory-750gb-hard-drive-natural-silver-ash-silver/4888026.p?id=1219644187914&skuId=4888026

Thank you for any help!
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    All three are below the minimum requirements. The reason is cause they use an intergrated intel gpu (which is basicly an emulated gpu on the cpu).

There have been reports that it works, but cause you are below the minimum requirements, there is no garantee.

I would recommend to go for a laptop that has an Nvidia or ATI Radeon graphical chip. It is fully complient with the minimum settings and cause you have a fully seperate chip isntead of an emulated one, you know the laptop is better suited for graphical behaviour.

Unfortunally best buy doesn't have an option to filter on this. I looked at Amazon and it is perfectly possible to find a laptop for 450-550 euro that has this requirement. It might be hard to get a laptop with intel, but for your goal I think a laptop with an AMD-processor and a designated graphical chip is much better. You have a garantee it will work and it will work perfectly well

Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alatus wrote: »
    Until I have enough saved up for a high priced gaming laptop or desktop,

Problem is, to get a gaming laptop, you need to spend a lot more money than you would for a gaming desktop. IN fact, you could probably pick up a used gaming desktop with last years parts for $500 that would run this game.

Then get one of the cheap laptops you linked above for those times you need to carry your PC around.

And, for Pete's sake, get a system that has Windows 7 on it, they are still available with that superior OS on it.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a couple that should be able to run ESO fairly well. Compare these against what your looking at with Best Buy and get something equivalent.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152777

This is the one I would recommend. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232436

12GB of system memory and a 4GB Dedicated video card. Not to mention it has an I7 processor as well. All for a few hundred more than what your looking at with Best Buy. This system would have greater longevity for you also.

From someone who's bought a laptop in the past it's better to put up a little more money and get a decent one from the start. You'll be a LOT happier that you did... I have a laptop I bought for $1800 back in 2010 that still works great.
    Edited by Robbmrp on May 27, 2015 7:57PM
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Alatus wrote: »
    Until I have enough saved up for a high priced gaming laptop or desktop,

Problem is, to get a gaming laptop, you need to spend a lot more money than you would for a gaming desktop. IN fact, you could probably pick up a used gaming desktop with last years parts for $500 that would run this game.

Then get one of the cheap laptops you linked above for those times you need to carry your PC around.

And, for Pete's sake, get a system that has Windows 7 on it, they are still available with that superior OS on it.

There is absolutly nothing wrong with windows 8.1 or 10. It runs the game better then windows 7. The interface might be wonky, but thats something totally different. Don't get me wrong. I dislike the approach that microsoft choose with windows 8.1. windows 10 is an improvement, but they are far from there. but in the end it is a better windows version (under the hood) and it is not that hard to get used to the interface changes.

Also. the linked laptops are all running below specs, while there are laptops capable of running the game within the rquired specs in the desired price range.

I do agree though that the OP can pick up a very decent desktop for the budget of this laptop. desktops are always cheaper then laptops

PC player - EU
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ranique wrote: »
    There is absolutly nothing wrong with windows 8.1 or 10. It runs the game better then windows 7. The interface might be wonky, but thats something totally different.................but in the end it is a better windows version (under the hood) and it is not that hard to get used to the interface changes.

I don't care what is under the hood if I can't get it open. Yes I can used to new UI's, I have been doing that for 35 years now with each generation of Windows and some generations of Mac OS.

Windows 10 may or may not be the bomb, but with MS OS's, and I have been around since early days of DOS, meaning pre DOS 5, it is always better to wait about 6 months after an OS release to get the drivers and apps settled down to the new OS.

Windows 8 is a travesty, and to make sure they never offer something like this again, I do what I can to keep the sales of that OS as low as possible. Then again, with Steve Ballmer gone, perhaps this company will pull their heads out.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Rynier
    Rynier
    I would suggest if you want bang for buck look at their refurbished laptops on newegg. They come with a year warranty and is essential a demo model that got cleaned up. Good value for less a mate of mine did this and is still using his 2 years later .. here is a good example of a laptop in your price range .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834318593
    Edited by Rynier on May 28, 2015 6:02AM
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Ranique wrote: »
    There is absolutly nothing wrong with windows 8.1 or 10. It runs the game better then windows 7. The interface might be wonky, but thats something totally different.................but in the end it is a better windows version (under the hood) and it is not that hard to get used to the interface changes.

I don't care what is under the hood if I can't get it open. Yes I can used to new UI's, I have been doing that for 35 years now with each generation of Windows and some generations of Mac OS.

Windows 10 may or may not be the bomb, but with MS OS's, and I have been around since early days of DOS, meaning pre DOS 5, it is always better to wait about 6 months after an OS release to get the drivers and apps settled down to the new OS.

Windows 8 is a travesty, and to make sure they never offer something like this again, I do what I can to keep the sales of that OS as low as possible. Then again, with Steve Ballmer gone, perhaps this company will pull their heads out.

I still think it is ill-advice to spread your personal dislike like this, To help you out. windows 10 is NOT any better. The "new" start menu is just a smaller version of the windows 8.1 menu. They continue with replacing stuff.

To advice an OS that has more limited support and performances, just cause you disagree with a company's course is wrong. If you disagree with the course stop using thier products. apple is now-a-days a perfect, though more expensive, alternative and Linunx isn't bad either.

I'm on the same boat as you. I disagree too. Cause of my job I have to work with it, but I'm also in a better position to get changes done. But using windows 7 is not a good alternative and more important, it won't open their eyes.

PC player - EU