The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Rental Mounts

Faugaun
Faugaun
✭✭✭✭✭
@Gidorick had a great suggestion here: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/172089/immersive-crown-store-player-response-to-eso-live-answer#latest

Which stimulated an additional idea! Can we (for a reasonable gold fee) rent a mount at stables. I am thinking maybe 1000 gold to rent a mount for a spin so we can see the animation and inspect the mount properly before purchasing. Additionally at a clothier (or other merchant) we should be able to rent an outfit to really trial it prior to purchase.

That is all rental horses and clothes.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a similar idea back in December but I'm not sure if a rental system would work with how ESO is monetized now.

All a rental would do is allow players to decide they don't want a mount or costume. Right now you're stuck with your impulse buy. Rentals would seriously impact the amount of revenue ZOS would make in the Crown Store.

As much as I liked the idea when ESO was a subscription model, with a B2P model it just doesn't make sense. :disappointed:

Anyway... here was that thread about Horse Rentals: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/142785/horse-rentals
    Edited by Gidorick on May 25, 2015 3:55PM
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mounts, pets and costumes can be previewed from the crown store and it works very well.

Movement of mounts can be seen in game as all cats move the same, all horses move the same and all guars move the same.
  • Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mounts, pets and costumes can be previewed from the crown store and it works very well.

Movement of mounts can be seen in game as all cats move the same, all horses move the same and all guars move the same.

@Giles.floydub17_ESO first the view from the saddle and someone zooming by on a 60 speed mount are different. Second what about when its a wamasu and I dunno anyone with a wamasu? Or a camel? Or whatever other mount you pick?
    Gidorick wrote: »
    I had a similar idea back in December but I'm not sure if a rental system would work with how ESO is monetized now.

All a rental would do is allow players to decide they don't want a mount or costume. Right now you're stuck with your impulse buy. Rentals would seriously impact the amount of revenue ZOS would make in the Crown Store.

As much as I liked the idea when ESO was a subscription model, with a B2P model it just doesn't make sense. :disappointed:

Anyway... here was that thread about Horse Rentals: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/142785/horse-rentals

@Gidorick Seems like a two-sided coin to me, I mean there may be some people that are like "you know it's just not quite what I want" then again there might be some people who are like "yeah thats rocking ....I didn't really plan on buying it but now I have too!"

I could see it generating as much as it prevents....now one benefit from a player perspective is that it would encourage ZoS to continue to produce higher quality (and thus desirable) products. Which IMHO would also be good for the developer (it keep them producing what their customers are interested in having). However, the downside I see for ZoS is that they may end up spending more time and money to create a quality product this time and money would cut into profits (but it would potentially also keep the quality high and thus increase the longevity of their game).

I dunno I get ya Gidorick but it seems much less clearcut in my mind and potentially leans towards better for ZoS and players if they implement a rental system (provided they have longterm interests in the game, which I assume they do).
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faugaun wrote: »

@Gidorick Seems like a two-sided coin to me, I mean there may be some people that are like "you know it's just not quite what I want" then again there might be some people who are like "yeah thats rocking ....I didn't really plan on buying it but now I have too!"

I could see it generating as much as it prevents....now one benefit from a player perspective is that it would encourage ZoS to continue to produce higher quality (and thus desirable) products. Which IMHO would also be good for the developer (it keep them producing what their customers are interested in having). However, the downside I see for ZoS is that they may end up spending more time and money to create a quality product this time and money would cut into profits (but it would potentially also keep the quality high and thus increase the longevity of their game).

I dunno I get ya Gidorick but it seems much less clearcut in my mind and potentially leans towards better for ZoS and players if they implement a rental system (provided they have longterm interests in the game, which I assume they do).

You are certainly right that it's not a clear cut definite cause effect. Now, if different mounts osted different bonuses (they SHOULD, by the way) having a rental mount that didn't have that bonus would be good... it would give players an incentive to buy.

I like the idea of rentals, but I think ZOS would have to try it out to see how it goes.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure if I would do a rental myself. Maybe on a different beast mount as I found I did not really like watching my character ride a guar. Although the slap on the butt to get them to sprint is kind of cool. The Crown Store Preview shows me enough to make a choice on what is being offered.

As for clothing items, the dye system pretty much makes what clothes initially look like a non factor. Changing the dyes can change the look dramatically.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    Faugaun wrote: »

You are certainly right that it's not a clear cut definite cause effect. Now, if different mounts osted different bonuses (they SHOULD, by the way) having a rental mount that didn't have that bonus would be good... it would give players an incentive to buy.

I like the idea of rentals, but I think ZOS would have to try it out to see how it goes.

I can agree with this, best would be to test it and see...but if that's the case then why devote the resources to making something that has only a 50% chance (or whatever %) of working out?

Nestor wrote: »
    I am not sure if I would do a rental myself. Maybe on a different beast mount as I found I did not really like watching my character ride a guar. Although the slap on the butt to get them to sprint is kind of cool. The Crown Store Preview shows me enough to make a choice on what is being offered.

As for clothing items, the dye system pretty much makes what clothes initially look like a non factor. Changing the dyes can change the look dramatically.

Perhaps a test environment then?

@Gidorick and @Nestor maybe this is a better idea to implement it....

Perhaps you can phase into a small micro instance (where you are the only one....wouldn't want rpers to use the microinstance to thwart deserved income from ZoS...you play it you should support it!). In this micro environment you may equip and use any of the crown store offerings (and toggle day, night rain) and access dye stations (to fully see if the item provides what you want). This testing zone could be the size of say mournhold or elden root ...etc...It would need both indoors and outdoors and various lighting and weather conditions it would also need to be large enough to run a mount around.
  • BigM
    BigM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe there is a MMO out there that allows this. So why should ZoS need to do it. Not like it's a new car or anything. :smiley:
    “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking
  • Trollwut
    Trollwut
    ✭✭✭
    1. Click on it on the crown store for a preview.
    2. YouTube!
  • Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BigM wrote: »
    I don't believe there is a MMO out there that allows this. So why should ZoS need to do it. Not like it's a new car or anything. :smiley:

This is exactly why they should do a lot of things! To differentiate themselves from the competition. To make themselves better than the competition, to go above and beyond. This mentality is why Ritz Carlton can charge more than other places and people happily pay the extra money. Those that go above and beyond consistently will always be ahead of those that don't.
  • dafox187
    dafox187
    ✭✭✭
    idea is good butt i think it should be like a free one use 5 min thing

don't get mad at my spelling, autocorrect doesn't cover fantasy.
    Why couldn't the Khajiit go to the party? She had to be Elsweyr.