Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[POLL]The main Templar heal "Rushed" Ceremony/BoL now has a cast time. Should it be renamed?

Yolokin_Swagonborn
Yolokin_Swagonborn
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
In case you haven't been following along in the 27 page Templar Broken Skills and Bugs thread that has over 700 replies, we have learned something important.

According to the development team, the Templar Ability "Rushed" Ceremony (Morphs to Honor the Dead/Breath of Life) has been given a slight cast time in update in 1.6 The ability was instant cast in 1.5.

Although the development team first identified this change as a bug (i.e. unintended) is is now being touted as a feature (i.e intended change in 1.6) although it was not mentioned in the 1.6 patch notes. Here is the relevant quote.
Rushed Ceremony has a noticeable animation delay.

The launch frame of this ability is just slower than some of the other abilities by design.[Emphasis Added] Since Rushed Ceremony is already very powerful, we’re ok with the fact that part of the skill of using this ability effectively is being able to anticipate damage.

On behalf of the launch of this new "feature" and with the obvious need to update the tooltip stating that this is no longer an "instant cast" spell, I would like to field ideas for a new name for this ability.

"Rushed Ceremony" is no longer an apt name as this ability no longer fits the roll as an instant heal and the animation feels anything but "rushed."

So what do you think "Rushed" Ceremony should be renamed to?

Edit: The Forum Templars have spoken! We have a clear winner at 39% of the vote at the time of this writing. Thank you to everyone who contributed.

Here is the mockup of the New Tooltip for this quixotic templar ability based on your feedback. This is a much more accurate description of how this ability functions currently.

Mbgru5t.png

This message has been brought to you by Templars: Slower by Design(TM)
Edited by Yolokin_Swagonborn on May 24, 2015 4:36AM

[POLL]The main Templar heal "Rushed" Ceremony/BoL now has a cast time. Should it be renamed? 121 votes

Lethargic Ceremony
14%
jnjdun_ESOcoryj87b14a_ESOKilaraRebdennissomb16_ESOBasksSkworBuckStreegaMorimizoRomotimidobserverSarevoccGarionTicussFatherMarenneLirkin 18 votes
Breath of Lag
17%
milesrodneymcneely2_ESOJandoBarsThe_SpAwNAnath_Qmainterminalub17_ESOmanny254nickreb17_ESOSoulScreamtechnohicdavid.haypreub18_ESOGhostwalkerLDKeriokotplink3r1BeardLumberCernowSharakorFireCowCommandolovESOngValymer 21 votes
Honor the Dead Teammates I couldn't Heal in Time
40%
firstdecanNsainwayfarerxJohn_LassiterPsychobunniDaveMoeDeeHypertionb14_ESOs0kr4t3sKalikilolo_01b16_ESOAreziusd.zid.816b16_ESOKorprokJrocAshanneValokDaraughSighlynceThatHappyCatRosveen 49 votes
Botched Ceremony
8%
Joy_DivisionYolokin_SwagonbornBrambleEinionYrthAriBohstojekarcub18_ESOZinrokhgardfelinith66Gyudan 10 votes
Healing Ritual II
3%
glakssewallb14_ESOSacadonCPT_CAPSLOCK 4 votes
Other
15%
NaivefanboiAcrolasNewBlacksmurfAnimal_MotherDeomekendellking_chaosb14_ESOdjyrbelias.stormneb18_ESOTheSunAlsoRisesPBpsyKatinasNadiusMaximusCurragraigueNihiliCinbriSyldayanjkemmeryHeromofoAlina_Scarbridge 19 votes
  • Heromofo
    Heromofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    It shouldn't have a cast time at all.......
  • Garion
    Garion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lethargic Ceremony
    LOL!

In all seriousness this is the kind of crap ZOS shouldn't be pulling. Don't break something and tell us it is broken, only to then tout it as a feature. You might as well just come out and say it - you think we are stupid.
    Lastobeth - VR16 Sorc - PvP Rank 41 (AD)
    Lastoblyat - VR16 Templar - PvP Rank 14 (AD)
    Ninja Pete - VR16 NB - PvP Rank 10 (AD)
    Labo the Banana Slayer - VR14 Sorc - PvP Rank 12 (EP)

Member of Banana Squad | Officer of Arena
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breath of Lag
    Yeah, this was poorly handled and to me it says "We cannot fix it or just don't have the time, so we'll just call it a feature and we are all good then; right?"

One of those things where I still use the ability and its still powerful, but my faith in development of the game takes a huge hit as it comes across as lazy or inept.
    Edited by technohic on May 22, 2015 3:25PM
  • TheSunAlsoRises
    TheSunAlsoRises
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    there are other spells/skills in the game that are listed as "instant" but have delay like NB teleport strike. i thought this change was done a long time ago? i remember in beta/release it was actually instant and then 2 patches or so after release they added the lag.

yes, it would be nice if it was actually instant. maybe they just need to make the arm wave your character does that much faster..
    No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Just play the dang game and adjust as needed.
    Point out bugs and keep it moving.
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Addihul
    Addihul
    ✭✭✭
    Animation cancelling for the win
    Pevara La'Roche - NA / DC - The Order of Mundus - http://orderofmundus.com
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breath of Lag
    there are other spells/skills in the game that are listed as "instant" but have delay like NB teleport strike. i thought this change was done a long time ago? i remember in beta/release it was actually instant and then 2 patches or so after release they added the lag.

yes, it would be nice if it was actually instant. maybe they just need to make the arm wave your character does that much faster..

You mean this hand wave?

62440647.jpg
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd probably consider any ceremony that happened under a few seconds to be rushed. If we're to rename it, lets call it "more-appropriatly-lengthed-yet-still-fairly-quick ceremony" and give it a minute or two cast time.
    Edited by BBSooner on May 22, 2015 4:09PM
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Botched Ceremony
    BBSooner wrote: »
    I'd probably consider any ceremony that happened under a few seconds to be rushed. If we're to rename it, lets call it "more-appropriatly-lenged-yet-still-fairly-quick ceremony" and give it a minute or two cast time.

So in other words, Healing Ritual? Which is a 2 second cast time heal that no templar uses because it's a 2 second cast time heal?

You are in luck. Healing Ritual II is one of the poll options!

• BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd probably consider any ceremony that happened under a few seconds to be rushed. If we're to rename it, lets call it "more-appropriatly-lenged-yet-still-fairly-quick ceremony" and give it a minute or two cast time.

So in other words, Healing Ritual? Which is a 2 second cast time heal that no templar uses because it's a 2 second cast time heal?

Well we're talking about a ceremony here, not a ritual. Though that ritual sounds fairly rushed as well.
  • jkemmery
    jkemmery
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    It should be named "Quit whining because Templars are ridiculously OP at the moment, yet we whine when we get a small nerf QQ"
  • Deome
    Deome
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    Of all the things about this to poll, I find insulting names the least helpful way to address it.

Here's something that would be useful: Update the tooltip to reflect the cast time. Until now, I never saw it. If I'm going to be dealing with cast times while healing, I might as well use Healing Ritual instead of some laggy (without correct tooltips, it looks like lag, not a feature) heal. At least that fires off in a time span I can anticipate.
    Deome
    Loremonger, Addon Developer (DataDaedra, etc.), Ministry Malcontent

"I am alive because that one is dead. I exist because I have the will to do so." --Now-Last, "Boethiah's Proving"
  • oddavi
    oddavi
    ✭✭✭
    OMG LOL !
    all those answers
  • djyrb
    djyrb
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    Ritual of Bug Rebirth (to Feature)
  • firstdecan
    firstdecan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the poll, but ZoS hates sarcasm.

In before threadlock.
  • david.haypreub18_ESO
    david.haypreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breath of Lag
    That's the post where Gina gave us the new motto for the Templar class:

Templars: 'just slower... by design'.
    Templars are 'just slower... by design'
    Yes, Gina actually said that (at least regarding Rushed Ceremony) right here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/161959/templar-skills-bugged-made-useless-ignored/p24
    VR 16 Templar (retired until Templars get fixed)
    VR 16 Sorcerer
    38 Nightblade
    24 DK
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of the above!
    And animation cancel ftw!

Would like to see delay on Ball of Lighting or dodge roll. It would be hilarious to watch forum burn :D
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • nastuug
    nastuug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    firstdecan wrote: »
    Love the poll, but ZoS hates sarcasm.

In before threadlock.

^^^
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Lay on Hands :pensive: coz now you can count only on your hands and reaction, not on this smart healing.
  • Hypertionb14_ESO
    Hypertionb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ha!

on a side note, you can animation cancel this to make it INSTANT.

its not a true cast time, just a long animation.
    I play every class in every situation. I love them all.
  • MCMancub
    MCMancub
    ✭✭✭✭
    How is this any different than all of the other "instant" abilities that have slower animation times?
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Ha!

Well, try to do animation cancelling while lags(i.e. most of time). If you will try to do it - spell cancelled, not blockcasted. Thats why in lags i not using animation cancelling with BoL.
  • MCMancub
    MCMancub
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »
    Ha!

Well, try to do animation cancelling while lags(i.e. most of time). If you will try to do it - spell cancelled, not blockcasted. Thats why in lags i not using animation cancelling with BoL.

If you're lagging then it won't be cast instantly anyways...

Bad argument is bad argument.
  • Naivefanboi
    Naivefanboi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Lmao just more justifcation for why I havent spent a penny since January .
    Thats a bug, oh wait nope thats working as intended, they so similar get them mixed up sometimes ...
  • Atreust
    Atreust
    ✭✭
    jkemmery wrote: »
    It should be named "Quit whining because Templars are ridiculously OP at the moment, yet we whine when we get a small nerf QQ"

Are you joking? Do you play PVP? Templars are the weakest class by far. I still hold my own through much more effort than it takes playing a sorc or NB. Ridiculously OP is a ridiculous claim. I'll give you that stamina temp dps is very competitive now in PVE, but all we're trying to do is get our bugged skills fixed, not buffed.

Also, amazing thread Yolokin, love the suggestions.
    Edited by Atreust on May 22, 2015 5:30PM
  • TheSunAlsoRises
    TheSunAlsoRises
    ✭✭✭
    Other

i actually use the 1.2 second (or whatever) morph situationally (apparently this is not a real word) because it heals massively and i have high crit on top of that.
    No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe
  • SeptimusDova
    SeptimusDova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any more delay and it should be called AFK.

Jkemmery If you can't say nothing nice and just troll then don't say anything at all.

Bugs are not nerfs.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lethargic Ceremony
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/171130/updated-poll-strongest-class-in-pvp#patent
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Psychobunni
    Psychobunni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    although Breath of Failure would work too :D

All LOL aside, the handling is really telling
    If options weren't necessary, and everyone played the same way, no one would use addons. Fix the UI!

• Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Botched Ceremony
    To anyone telling me not to whine, you don't know who are are talking to. My main is a Sorcerer. I'm here advocating for my Templar brothers that have gotten the short end of the development stick ever since restoring spirit was nerfed early launch. I have a few templar alts but I rarely use them since 1.6. I would like to use my templar more often but...
    • The unfair cooldown on toppling charge just bugs me. Invasion has no such GCD. DK's can immediately start lava whipping after an invasion. Why cant these two skills be equal?
    • Eclipse/Power off the light bugs me. Why should I be locked out of using other abilities for crucial seconds after I used these?
    • Solar barrage never worked as intended. It seemed like it should buff another AoE attack but never did.
    • Dark flare has to leave the atmosphere and high five the moon before it hits someone. As a sorc, I know all I need to about slow moving projectiles a horse can outrun.
    • As other people have mentioned, biting jabs buffs the enemy by giving them full immunity for a mediocre stun/knockback.

I could use other abilities as a replacement but I want to play a spear throwing, light wielding templar. Templar is one of the few classes that you really could play a pure class build, with maybe one non-templar ability. These frustrating bugs prevent that amazing playstyle.

Templars don't need a massive skill revamp. They didn't even need a Jesus Beam. They just need some of their core bread and butter abilities debugged and given a sanity check.

Fortunately there is a 27 page thread with over 700 replies that pretty much lays out what needs to be done.

This "bug" vs "feature" doublespeak is not constructive and saps my desire to ever shake the mothballs off my templar.
    Edited by Yolokin_Swagonborn on May 22, 2015 6:32PM