Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Game very choppy/unresponsive. Is this a game error or my hardware?

colepringle
colepringle
Soul Shriven
Hi everyone,

I am having some major issues, as in unable to get out of the starting prison it's so bad. I did a check before I downloaded ESO and thought I met min requirements, but maybe not.

I downloaded the game initially and it crashed a lot. I made a guy and started. Seemed to run smoothly, but at the part where it teaches me to sprint in the prison the girl I'm supposed to follow doesnt move. I'd restart the game, she'd move another ten feet then stop.

I uninstalled and redownloaded the game. This time I constantly got "Error 1". I repaired from the launcher and that seemed to work. I made a new guy and was able to get further, out to just past where I learn to attack/block/interrupt. The knight I'm supposed to fight just stands there, but I'm able to move/look and sometimes attack, sometimes not. Then I die. If I restart the game it runs smoothly for a minute then the NPCs stop reacting and I sometimes am unable to attack. Keep in mind I'm playing on the minimum settings.

I have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 Graphics Card.

Is this the game or my computer?

Thanks
Edited by colepringle on May 19, 2015 5:49PM
We have contacted our Customer support team to help you solve your issue.
  • ZOS_LenaicR
    ZOS_LenaicR
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @colepringle,

Could you please try this article from our knowledge base?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited Social Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | Base de connaissance ESO

Staff Post
  • Intervein
    Intervein
    Even though your Error 1 has been fixed, still try out the article the admin listed above. Before you login into your game next time, lower some of your video settings: resolution, shadows off, water reflection off, bloom off, etc and see what happens for you.

Also, goto the Nvidia website and make sure that you have the latest drivers for the GT 710--if you're unable to find the drivers download the GeForce Experience and it should handle everything for you. Make sure everything else is up-to-date as well. If you're still having issues--it may be time to upgrade.

I've read that the Error 1 issue may also be caused by syncing problems between the server and client. So, check your firewall to see if it has the correct ports opened for ESO (searching for ESO ports should suffice). Do you have issues out of any other multiplayer games? Severe lag? Rubber banding, etc?
    Edited by Intervein on May 19, 2015 6:28PM
    Usually found in Tech Support somewhere.
  • colepringle
    colepringle
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the help. I downloaded the latest drivers, but the same problem persists. I'm thinking it could be my router. The ESO launcher runs very slow, I get download speeds of about 250kb/s which is horrible. Do you think this means I need to open the ports? Also, sometimes when I open the game I can not get the announcements to load.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could try opening ports, although the download speeds are pretty low for everyone
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • DragonSamurai360
    DragonSamurai360
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help. I downloaded the latest drivers, but the same problem persists. I'm thinking it could be my router. The ESO launcher runs very slow, I get download speeds of about 250kb/s which is horrible. Do you think this means I need to open the ports? Also, sometimes when I open the game I can not get the announcements to load.

Don't open ports I've heard you could get hacked through them. If you absolutely need to do so open them for playing and when your finished close them, just to make sure no issues happen. The user could be wrong on this, I'm not sure, but just be careful when dealing with things like that.
  • DragonSamurai360
    DragonSamurai360
    ✭✭✭

Also as another thought if you have your computer on for days at a time or 6-12 hours of game time or just being on. You could try turning off your PC for a couple hours and see if things improve. I had some issues like that on other games and I turn it off for a while and then come back and it works great. Laptops do to their small size can get warm and have downgraded performance as a result of the heat. I can almost guarantee that your laptop might not get super hot but it does get warm and possibly your PC might need a break. If that does not work at all it's possible your ISP could be doing things on their system causing the issue. If you've had bad weather and your internet's through the phone line that could be a cause as well. Good luck hope you figure your issue out.
  • Wily_Wizard
    Wily_Wizard
    ✭✭✭
    Don't open ports I've heard you could get hacked through them. If you absolutely need to do so open them for playing and when your finished close them, just to make sure no issues happen. The user could be wrong on this, I'm not sure, but just be careful when dealing with things like that.

Yes, you are definitely right. As far fetched as it may seem, if you have open ports you are immediately susceptible to port scanners that quickly identify any open ports on their network segment. In my line of work I have watched windows installations get hacked literally within a few minutes of a fresh install, just because they were connected directly to the internet with open ports (no router). On the other hand, ISP's have gotten a lot better at catching port scanners, but the risk still does exist.

• DragonSamurai360
    DragonSamurai360
    ✭✭✭

Yes, you are definitely right. As far fetched as it may seem, if you have open ports you are immediately susceptible to port scanners that quickly identify any open ports on their network segment. In my line of work I have watched windows installations get hacked literally within a few minutes of a fresh install, just because they were connected directly to the internet with open ports (no router). On the other hand, ISP's have gotten a lot better at catching port scanners, but the risk still does exist.

Thanks for letting us know especially me. I was kind of curious on it but didn't want to risk it by opening them. Now I know not to do this if you can help it.
  • wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be sure to turn down all your video settings in the game to the lowest possible.
  • ZOS_LenaicR
    ZOS_LenaicR
    ✭✭✭✭
    We have created a ticket for you @colepringle, one of our agents will be able to reach you shortly.
    Thanks for your patience!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited Social Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | Base de connaissance ESO

Staff Post
  • colepringle
    colepringle
    Soul Shriven
    Hey everyone, thanks for all the input. I took the chance and opened the ports and it now works perfectly.

Thanks for the help.
  • Intervein
    Intervein
    Glad to have helped pringle--it sounded like you had issue with an overzealous firewall. And for all of the misinformation being spread about opening ports in your firewall, it is quite safe. Forwarding ports via your router can be unsafe because the router (unless it has an active firewall, which is unlikely unless you have a custom built one like myself) has no ability to scan incoming packets for malicious data. Opening a port in your firewall involves letting a specific application (eso.exe) only to communicate on that particular port.

I invite everyone to do a quick search of forwarding ports on a router and opening ports in a firewall. Opening ports on a firewall does inherently leave a hole in your "armor"; however, if someone is really trying to hack into your computer that badly, why not just hop along your basic port 80 web traffic? Regardless, that is what firewalls are for.
    Edited by Intervein on May 21, 2015 11:58AM
    Usually found in Tech Support somewhere.
  • Wily_Wizard
    Wily_Wizard
    ✭✭✭
    Intervein is right about leaving holes in your security.
    If you would like to see exactly how secure your home PC/network is from the outside world, try this ONLINE PORT SCANNER at Shields Up and see how good your network security is.

Click the proceed button to get to the port scan page. Just under the big yellow button is a link that says All Service Ports , this is the link you want to click on to check for any open/unsecure/vulnerable ports on your network.

If you have an older router or one that has firmware over 2 years old, then you probably should also click on the big yellow button to check for UPnP vulnerabilities.

NOTE: Do not do this security scan at work or you will likely *** off some IT or security guys.

Edited by Wily_Wizard on May 21, 2015 12:59PM