Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

REQUEST: IOS/Android Apps for console players

Hexos
Hexos
✭✭✭
I am excited about PS4 release but i know i will miss my addons.(Skyshards, Adv filters, LootDrop, Lorebooks, Reasearch assistant)
I have even started weening myself of them on PC to prepare for console. So I plan to use some of my tracking addons like Lore books and Skyshards
to help me find these things on console. But it will be a pain to continually run over to my PC.

Soooo i thought...Iphone/Ipad app!!! Imagine an App on your phone that had an interactive map with all the skyshards/lorebooks on it.
You could keep this handy while questing on console to keep track of where these things are and ones you've picked up already.

I would really love ZoS to develop a companion app someday akin to the Destiny one, but I know that may not come for a long time...if ever.

How bout it? Anyone out there started working on mobile apps yet?

• retyler3_ESO
    retyler3_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Hexos wrote: »
    I am excited about PS4 release but i know i will miss my addons.(Skyshards, Adv filters, LootDrop, Lorebooks, Reasearch assistant)
    I have even started weening myself of them on PC to prepare for console. So I plan to use some of my tracking addons like Lore books and Skyshards
    to help me find these things on console. But it will be a pain to continually run over to my PC.

Soooo i thought...Iphone/Ipad app!!! Imagine an App on your phone that had an interactive map with all the skyshards/lorebooks on it.
    You could keep this handy while questing on console to keep track of where these things are and ones you've picked up already.

I would really love ZoS to develop a companion app someday akin to the Destiny one, but I know that may not come for a long time...if ever.

You do realize there are websites that already have that information, and you can access them from your device?
  • Fyrakin
    Fyrakin
    ✭✭✭
    There are websites with interactive maps to help you explore Tamriel, but you will not have the ability to see where exactly is your character on the website.
    NA Megaserver (810) - Fyrakin, Loremaster Fyrakin, Cartographer Fyrakin, Taskmaster Tobin, Zergas, Texa, Furnacius, Hextex
    EU Megaserver (167) - Fyrakin
    MiniMap author
  • Ayantir
    Ayantir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not doable, ask zos.
    Obsessive Compulsive Elder Scrolls addons Coder
    A Few millions downloads of ESO addons now.
    Master crafter on my main char since release. All tradeskills, recipes \o/, researchs (since long), 35 styles known
    My little french Guild: Cercle de l'Eveil
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fyrakin wrote: »
    There are websites with interactive maps to help you explore Tamriel, but you will not have the ability to see where exactly is your character on the website.
    Yeah, but you can see that on the in-game map. Speaking from experience, the Skyshards addon is convenient, but comparing manually works fine too, it's just slower.
  • Hexos
    Hexos
    ✭✭✭
    Apps work easier on phones than Websites.

Also, the last 2 or 3 games Ive bought for PS4 had apps for them at launch. (Destiny, Dying Light, Evolve)
    Destiny even had some 3rd party apps that folks made to track public events.

I realize there are limitations and i may be comparing apples to oranges here, but i was just making a suggestion. :smile:
  • Deome
    Deome
    ✭✭✭
    Not a bad idea, actually. And a lot of the website maps suck for things like WW/Vamp spawns.

What kinds of reference materials would you want to see most? I've been wanting to start writing for phones/tabs, but I'm not and have never been a console player. What would be the most useful apps?
    Deome
    Loremonger, Addon Developer (DataDaedra, etc.), Ministry Malcontent

"I am alive because that one is dead. I exist because I have the will to do so." --Now-Last, "Boethiah's Proving"
  • Hexos
    Hexos
    ✭✭✭
    Cool!

For starters...Interative maps for phone/tablet that show you where skyshards, lore books are on map and let you track the ones you have aquired.

I realize it would require you tapping on the items as you get them in game but thats easier than a pen and notebook!

• Deome
    Deome
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, so zoomable maps with toggle locations. Don't think it's been done yet. Awesome. Now I need to learn Java, take me about a month.
    Deome
    Loremonger, Addon Developer (DataDaedra, etc.), Ministry Malcontent

"I am alive because that one is dead. I exist because I have the will to do so." --Now-Last, "Boethiah's Proving"
  • Fyrakin
    Fyrakin
    ✭✭✭
    Well, apps without any relation to your in-game data can be made just like websites, who knows, maybe someone will want to make them.
    NA Megaserver (810) - Fyrakin, Loremaster Fyrakin, Cartographer Fyrakin, Taskmaster Tobin, Zergas, Texa, Furnacius, Hextex
    EU Megaserver (167) - Fyrakin
    MiniMap author
  • You-SKID
    You-SKID
    Fyrakin wrote: »

Hello buddy can you give me website been looking for them but cant find them
  • Trollwut
    Trollwut
    ✭✭✭
    TBH a dedicated app won't suffice.

I'm a programmer and I recently got the idea to develop such an app. But it won't be a great hit. Let me explain why:

First of all there is a need to update and insert the content: You need the maps for skyshards and books (and so on), plus you have to proof their locations, because misinformation would kill the app. This is an immense amount of time! Just imagine how long it takes to proof ONE zone of books, shards, and so on.

Then again these information need to be up-to-date. A MMO is also a massive-changing game, which means that locations of spawns/books/shards/*** may alter in any patch and you have to update it. This means that you ...
    1. ... have to be informed about changes.
    2. ... proof these changes again and update it.
    This again is an immense amount of time-consuming things.

Then again you can't really make profit out of it. In the first term this sounds corrupt, but even a developer needs something to eat. Sure a dev can provide a free app - but why should a dev put time into something that doesn't give him back anything?
    For simple in-app advertisment, this app won't grow big enough to get the costs covered.
    Pledges like "send gold to @Trollwut for naked pics" won't get heard.
    And you can't even make it an 2$ app, because then nobody would use it, as you get ALL the information in it on the interwebs for free. The app would just be more comfortable, but you as a customer won't get much in response.

TL;DR For one developer this would be too much to work. You need an active group on it to be up-to-date and those guys want to be rewarded, too.

I would like to try to develop such an "All-in-one app" for ESO. But you have to convince me that my work won't be in vain. :D
  • Hexos
    Hexos
    ✭✭✭
    Here's what I did yesterday. Fired up my Ipad. Opened browser to this page:
    http://tamrieljournal.com/eso-skyshard-location-map/

I then opened my Skyshard acheivements ingame to see which "clues" i missed and cross referenced them with this map and went about picking up all the shards i missed while questing thru the first 4 zones.

It did the job but was alil cumbersome. Seems to me like an app that could help me easily track this by tapping the shards as i aquire them would be useful. Lorebooks will be even more work to get this way.

• Hexos
    Hexos
    ✭✭✭
    Oh also, people are already developing apps. Theres a timer apps for keeping track of reasearch time.

A buddy of mine found one thats cost a buck that he likes.
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A little ironic that an incredibly simple "app" can sell for a buck simply by virtue of being an "app", yet incredibly complex PC addons not only have no official marketplace to sell (Bethesda ran screaming after 4 days of qq) but authors get hate mail and attacked and blackballed for even suggesting donations too openly.

People are such lemmings. :p
    Edited by Phinix1 on June 22, 2015 4:57PM
  • GAZWJ
    GAZWJ
    Soul Shriven
    I think the ability to use a device as a map to show locations of objects such as books and sky shards is a waste of time the app needs to be a part of the players profile show his different characters and allow the person to alter their character and alts like the destiny app and wow apps but also have the ability to link you with other people in your guilds so you can chat and post and receive mail throug it

For example if you have dungeon runs or a big pvp night planned but you need to make some changes to time or whatever you cod just mail them from your phone from anywhere Nd they would get a notification saying something like you have mail lol and you could open the app and you would know of the changes

There are many other things that could be added as well but things like guild communication and ability to change your load out on the fly are big pluses
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I recall, there is a eso app on Google playstore.

Its eso skills by zam. Its updated for update 6 but its not a full functionig app. There are also eso hirelings that helps with multiple professions.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • Draeath
    Draeath
    The "Our ESO Map" on the UESP Wiki is going to be your new best friend.
    Come visit the ESO subreddit!
  • Surragard
    Surragard
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Trollwut : This is why we have IGN haha. Watch some ads so they can make enough money to put out this stuff. They actually had a fairly robust Skyrim app for iOS as I recall. They could do something similar here. As for something official though I think you are correct, especially since ZoS has formerly indicated that companion apps are not on their radar. Things can always change but I doubt they would prioritize this over getting their content releases on track.

I don't always drink Skooma, but when I do I go to the Southwall Corner Club. May you walk on warm sands my friends.
  • Marques
    Marques
    ✭✭✭
    An iOS app for The Elder Scrolls Online would be just awesome. Not just for console users but to everyone. Such companions if properly implemented and useful are a boost and major plus in any modern gaming community. ESO could definitely benefit from such a project.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hexos wrote: »

Would be better on thenpsp or vita

Thatbway it connects with the game and can be like having an actual map