The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Love

uzi
uzi
✭✭✭
So. Today in the daedric tombs at Kragenmoor, i noticed something remarkable. Where the spirit of Taril Randoro is lying, his light illuminates the daedric writing on the wall. It says "love". Didn't know the daedra or their worshippers cherish such things. :) There also reads "gauntlet", though i don't know if they are connected as a sentence or just random words.
  • Rook_Master
    Rook_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Daedric princes are widely misunderstood, by both characters within the game and players as well.

They can be thought of as individuals with their own motivations and desires, similar to the Greek or Norse gods from mythology. Simply casting these individuals as "good" or "evil" doesn't make sense in this context.

I don't see why love would be incompatible with Daedra worship.
  • uzi
    uzi
    ✭✭✭
    The daedric princes are also symbolic beings, and the things most are associated with are conflicting with love and other feelings/acts that mortals consider positive. Maybe the daedra don't see themselves as "good" or "evil" but mortals do, as i.e. Mehrunes Dagon - Prince of Destruction, isn't and can't be associated with both love and destruction. The act of destruction isn't what mortals think of as love.

Most of the Daedra are considered evil and for a good reason. There is a reason the (alessian) empire has disregard for daedra worship.

Mortal sense of love and both the appearance and descriptions of the daedra in the games are not something that would intertwine.
  • Vaerth
    Vaerth
    ✭✭✭✭
    So...What is this thread for?
    Pact Bloodwraith
  • EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vaerth wrote: »
    So...What is this thread for?

I dunno. I thought by the title it was about a Subaru.
  • ShadowMage
    ShadowMage
    ✭✭✭
    uzi wrote: »
    The daedric princes are also symbolic beings, and the things most are associated with are conflicting with love and other feelings/acts that mortals consider positive. Maybe the daedra don't see themselves as "good" or "evil" but mortals do, as i.e. Mehrunes Dagon - Prince of Destruction, isn't and can't be associated with both love and destruction. The act of destruction isn't what mortals think of as love.
    What about the love of destruction?
    PC / NA
    Thenathra - Khajiit Stormblade (Sorcerer - Dual-wield Swords/Lightning Staff)

Several alts I've created, but haven't leveled much yet:
    Norryne - Dunmer Paladin (Templar - Two-hand Hammer/One-hand Hammer & Shield)
    Demerwei - Argonian Shadowscale (Nightblade - Dual-wield Axes/Dual-wield Daggers)
    Gohrnag - Orc Elementalist (Dragon Knight - Frost Staff/Lightning Staff)
    Kerasha - Redguard Mystic (Templar - Flame Staff/Restoration Staff)
    Alawael - Bosmer Assassin (Nightblade - Bow/Two-hand Battleaxe)
    Hjerlm the Quiet - Nord Dragonguard (Dragon Knight - One-hand Sword & Shield/Two-hand Greatsword)
  • Morimizo
    Morimizo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erm, Love Gauntlet? Sounds like one o' dem norty Videos. And directed by a Daedra? Definitely needs a content warning.
  • Rook_Master
    Rook_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daedra are distinctly amoral, not immoral. And the difference is important. The fact that mortals are consistently harmed by their machinations is beside the point. They chose not to participate in creation, and that choice is what defines their interactions with men and elves.

As to whether they are capable of love, who can say they are not?
  • Sphinx2318
    Sphinx2318
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very disappointed to see that this thread is not about @Teargrants or @Satiar ..............
    Edited by Sphinx2318 on April 30, 2015 6:19PM
  • uzi
    uzi
    ✭✭✭
    Capable or not, judging by their actions, love doesn't seem like a subject the daedra or their worshippers would value in such measures that it was worth a wall writing in their dedicated sanctuaries. Just saying...
  • Anemonean
    Anemonean
    ✭✭✭
    The full thing says "LOVE THE GAUNTLET" which sounds more dubious than just love, whatever it means.

I am all for Daedric Princes being more grey areas.

Sure Mehrunes Dagon is the daedric prince of hur dur destruction hur dur lava hur dur spikey towers, but he's also the Daedric prince of revolution, he aint all bad! Infact sometimes I bet his wonts may line up with rebels who truly want a noble change in the world!

But as far as Love the gauntlet goes? Sounds like some daedra have misconstrued love with obedience.
    Calling all thieves, check out my Lockbox maps: http://roguesfolio.tumblr.com

Also announcing the all new Legerdemain & Thievery guide: http://roguesfolio.tumblr.com/Guide

And an all new work of fiction based on the maps: http://roguesfolio.tumblr.com/Story
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    uzi wrote: »
    Mehrunes Dagon - Prince of Destruction, isn't and can't be associated with both love and destruction. The act of destruction isn't what mortals think of as love..

That is a limitation of perception. Some few mortals can surpass it.

Like, say, dunmer.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Pallmor
    Pallmor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of people think of Sheogorath as "crazy," or "mad," or "homicidal." But I prefer to think of him as a wacky prankster with a love for cheese.
  • booksmcread
    booksmcread
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love gauntlet!