The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Health Regen build

RazzPitazz
RazzPitazz
✭✭✭✭
OK the honest truth is at launch I rolled Khajiit DK, hit VR1 and rolled some alts for crafting. Now,I have gone back and several players seem to agree that in combat health regen is worthless.
Why is it worthless?
Is there any way to actually build off of this successfully, either PvE or PvP?
Theory crafting welcome, hard numbers appreciated.
PC NA
VR1 - Jar'eed - Khajiit Dragon Knight - AD
VR1 - Broad Tail - Argonian Templar - EP
All-Star Crafter Guild
  • Echo_Silence
    Honestly I don't think health regen is worthless I'm DK, Imperial - One Handed and Shield. And on the way my character is setup it's set focused on DPS. The main skills I use is Ardent Flame and the secondary skills I use health regen, and armor bonus so I have atleast some way of staying alive. I don't know your setup but it's good in PVP and PVE in my opinion.

@rajaniemiorama_ESO

~Echo_Silence
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Regen Build is more viable now than it was in the past. However, like all focused builds, you will have to give up something to get something else. Your going to load up your armor sets with Regen Bonuses (most of which do offer other tactical bonuses), your Jewelry with Regen bonuses (like the Rings of Syrbane for example).

I have a Sorcerer that never runs out of magic. She may not be Trials sustainable, but in PvE mob fights, the magic bar is refilled just as the last boss dies. But I give up extra spell power and protection and other attributes to do this.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I have a Sorcerer that never runs out of magic. She may not be Trials sustainable, but in PvE mob fights, the magic bar is refilled just as the last boss dies. But I give up extra spell power and protection and other attributes to do this.

The OP was asking about health regen. I think your magicka regen build is a valid option. But I am not sure about health regen. Magicka tends to go down at a pretty steady pace, especially magicka DPS. But health is different. You can lose 100% of your health in a fraction of a second. Or you can get hit for 16K damage then 21K damage a second later and have no health regen ticks in there. In other words, health losses can spike in ways magicka losses cannot. And it is these health loss spikes that are the real danger.

If this was a game with lots of battles of attrition then I think a health regen build would be viable. But you can take so much health damage in such a short amount of time that you cannot rely on health regen as a survival tactic. You would be better off moving your concentration on health regen to actual health. Avoid one-shots, then get actively healed up. Or use damage shields, which will benefit from more max health or more max magicka, depending on shield. Or have high armor/resist/block to mitigate and prevent damage from reaching you in the first place.

There might be some solo PvE builds where health regen works nicely because the enemies do not do extreme amounts of damage. But Trials? Dungeons? PvP? The burst damage just overpowers your health regen too quickly.
  • RazzPitazz
    RazzPitazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Dagoth_Rac
    Thank you, that's the kind of answer I needed.
    PC NA
    All-Star Crafter Guild
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »

The OP was asking about health regen. I think your magicka regen build is a valid option.

I said that because I was pointing out that a Regen character is viable, it matters not what is being Regen'd. Also, a regen character would be compromised. I was not very clear about that.

And, I agree with you on trials, a Health Regen character would not be viable in those few dungeons. In the other PvE content, it could be a fun build. Not a face rolling build, but a fun one all the same.

Edited by Nestor on April 29, 2015 7:33PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    A Regen Build is more viable now than it was in the past. However, like all focused builds, you will have to give up something to get something else. Your going to load up your armor sets with Regen Bonuses (most of which do offer other tactical bonuses), your Jewelry with Regen bonuses (like the Rings of Syrbane for example).

Very good advice here. There are quite a few sets that give really good regen bonuses.
    Edited by Robbmrp on April 29, 2015 8:54PM
    NA Server - Kildair
  • RazzPitazz
    RazzPitazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    I saw one craftabke set that gives health regen and considered using it for this purpose, but it's hard to say how much a percentage increase does when there no numbers to work off of. If I have a 50% increase, but only have a 3 health/sec regen then the increase effectively makes it 4.5 health/sec which would be pointless.
    PC NA
    All-Star Crafter Guild