The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What am I doing wrong?

Atirez
Atirez
✭✭
I seem to be struggling a lot with PvP, I have been watching people on You Tube and the like but seem to be missing something. Whenever in a fight I seem to take a lot of damage and spend all of my time trying to break out of stuns/cc until I am out of stam then spam heals until out of magika and then die. I am a VR5 templar. My life expectancy in a 1v1 is around 2 seconds. It feels futile at the moment :(

I get hit for anywhere between 3 and 24k and cant seem to get my damage up from 2-3k.

What are hints and tips for general play that I can take away and try and use?
Also when it comes to gear/attribute points, how does that all work?
  • iseko
    iseko
    ✭✭✭✭
    A) you are a templar. Was always a hard class to play with and 1.6 has not been kind to the class
    B ) you are vr5. Some vr5's are deffinetely well hard. Most are free ap.

Are you a magicka build or stamina build? I can tell you this much: dont perma block if you are not built to do so. Only block incoming stun attacks. If you are constabtly getting stunned: set of the arena is always nice if you can get someone to craft it for you.

But to give real advice we are going to need more info on your build/playstyle. Stam or magicka? Full light/medium/heavy armor? Or a mix?

What do you want to do? Dps? Heal? Tank? Solo or group play?

Edit for future trolls: the guy wants help. Dont troll him like Ive seen so many times on the forums lately :P
    Edited by iseko on April 28, 2015 8:55AM
  • Dositheus
    Dositheus
    ✭✭✭
    Returning to ESO after a long break, I had a lot of re-learning and stuff to get used to myself. Honestly, I'd suggest watching youtube videos of people playing y our class, and succeeding. And then getting ideas from it. If someone is playing the same class I am, and they utterly obliterate me, I will often also send them a tell and chat with them for a bit and pick their brain for ideas. I've found most players are more than willing to share their success with you, and help you get better. I can say this 100%, if you are trying to play a stamina character... get ready to roll dodge a lot. Go for + stam recovery gear, because as soon as you're out of stamina, you are dead as well. Magika seems to be less bursty, but far more forgiving generally. When I returned, I burned about 300k gold on a full set of pure + weapon power and dps gear in general.. and quickly found I sucked, since I'd run out of stamina almost immediately and die. Don't make that mistake. Take your time, plan out a build, and then go from there.
  • Atirez
    Atirez
    ✭✭
    iseko wrote: »
    A) you are a templar. Was always a hard class to play with and 1.6 has not been kind to the class

Are you a magicka build or stamina build? I can tell you this much: dont perma block if you are not built to do so. Only block incoming stun attacks. If you are constabtly getting stunned: set of the arena is always nice if you can get someone to craft it for you.

But to give real advice we are going to need more info on your build/playstyle. Stam or magicka? Full light/medium/heavy armor? Or a mix?

Edit for future trolls: the guy wants help. Dont troll him like Ive seen so many times on the forums lately :P

Thanks for the reply.

I did have attributes mixed between health, stam and magika but re-did them because I wasnt putting out enough damage. But the change to magika/health only 33/12 didnt seem to make much difference.

I am a templer currently using 5 light and 2 heavy, I am resto/desto at the moment but switched recently from sword and board which I was using because I was getting one shot a lot.

Skills are:
    Vampires bane (switch from other morph to try and up single person dps)
    Dark flare (as it seems to be the hardest hitting templar magic skill that isnt an execute)
    Destructive read (added to try and keep people away from me)
    Structured entropy (for the health and dps buff)
    Sub shield (for obvious reasons and it is cheaper than spamming breath of life)
    Ultimate: Solar disturbance (seems pointless as people can get out of it but dont have mages guild up to 10 yet)

Second bar:
    Radiant opression (execute)
    Cleansing ritual (to try and get debuffs off and cleanse)
    Weakness to elements (trying it for debuffs)
    Structured entropy (same reason as above)
    Breath of life (self heals)
    Remembrance (group heals)

Gear:
    2 peice Torugs pact for spell damage
    4 peice Magnus
    2 peice seducer

Health glyphs on head/chest/belt and legs magika on everything else.

Stats
    Magika/Health adn Stam (19316/25199/8726) in Cryodil with Nix hound food (+ health and Magiika)
    Recovery Mag/Health/Stam (857/321/534) <- seems very low
    Spell dam/crit/res (1261/26%/9081)
    Weapon dam/crit/res (1003/17.5/6553)

I am trying to build a dps magika build wth templar at the moment.
  • iseko
    iseko
    ✭✭✭✭
    Atirez wrote: »
    iseko wrote: »

Thanks for the reply.

I did have attributes mixed between health, stam and magika but re-did them because I wasnt putting out enough damage. But the change to magika/health only 33/12 didnt seem to make much difference.

I am a templer currently using 5 light and 2 heavy, I am resto/desto at the moment but switched recently from sword and board which I was using because I was getting one shot a lot.

To each his own.
    Skills are:
    Vampires bane (switch from other morph to try and up single person dps)
    Dark flare (as it seems to be the hardest hitting templar magic skill that isnt an execute)
    Destructive read (added to try and keep people away from me)
    Structured entropy (for the health and dps buff)
    Sub shield (for obvious reasons and it is cheaper than spamming breath of life)
    Ultimate: Solar disturbance (seems pointless as people can get out of it but dont have mages guild up to 10 yet)

Second bar:
    Radiant opression (execute)
    Cleansing ritual (to try and get debuffs off and cleanse)
    Weakness to elements (trying it for debuffs)
    Structured entropy (same reason as above)
    Breath of life (self heals)
    Remembrance (group heals)
    You are using two destro then? You have destro skills on both bars. Vampires bane is a nice dot. Same with destr reach. But people are spamming purge like crazy so using dot attacks isnt always best. Id put crushing shock on there instead of one of those. Sun shield is... Sometimes useful but you dont have many cp in bastion and u have low health. Id guess ure shield is about 5k. Thats 1 hit or less to break it. Either add another shield to the mix or increase health. Id suggest ibcreasing health to 25k at least.

Second bar: get resto staff. Drop weakness. Get healing ward and maybe rapid regen. But deffinetly healing ward.
    Gear:
    2 peice Torugs pact for spell damage
    4 peice Magnus
    2 peice seducer

Health glyphs on head/chest/belt and legs magika on everything else.

Stats
    Magika/Health adn Stam (19316/25199/8726) in Cryodil with Nix hound food (+ health and Magiika)
    Recovery Mag/Health/Stam (857/321/534) <- seems very low
    Spell dam/crit/res (1261/26%/9081)
    Weapon dam/crit/res (1003/17.5/6553)

I am trying to build a dps magika build wth templar at the moment.

Ure stats are low. For magicka dps ure minimum should be 1500 spell damage unbuffed. Minimum! Ure regen should be 1500-2000. If you can get yoir hands on vr1 warlock it might be nice. For sustain warlock and seducer are great. And you can get that combo at vr1. Dont know good sets combos at low level other then that.

Basically you are trying to de everything it seems. Get some resist with armor but you have low health. Get some dps which is low and sacrifice survivability. A jack of all trades is a master of none. Easiest thing to do with temp is

A) full stam burst dps
    B ) get high health andnhigh magicka regen. Use blaxing shield and breath of life to tank a bit. Id suggest full light or 5 light 2 heavy. Invest in magicka reduction enchants on your jewelry.
    C) full on healer for support

Easiest to play with is b or c. Id advice maybe switching destro out for s&b. U get another piece of clothing for more sets bonusses. U can get some reduced blocking cost. Works well for on a tanking bar.
    Ps: vampires are still nice in pvp. Especially since u can purge really cheap (fire siege). The extra regen plus mist to escape are good. The bat ulti is also nice. Just saying... Most temps are using bats again for magicka builds.

These are just some ideas. Main point: dont be everything at once. Either be a tank a healer or a dps.
  • Kas
    Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    imho yu should level to v14, then get decent equip (ideally, perfect legendary sets for your cause, decent purple crafted stuff works, tough) before you start worrying.

next, the easiest way to survive long is to runs 5 heavy and 1h/s. remove bad effects with purifying rituals and use BoL to heal you back up. You can still deal decent damage with enough spelldamage and magicka and a destro staff on bar two (especially if you know when you can weave medium attacks without putting your self in danger), but of course it'd be significantly lower than bursty gbuilds is medium or light armor.

if you run medium armor, your survavability comes with dodgeing as much as possible. if you're runnign light, it's important to stack shields (and include healing ward).

What you do in the end is up to you and you shoudln't invest too much until you#re V14. For now, I recommend you try your current build, re-craft your sets so you have 5 heavy and 2 light and switch one destro staff for 1h/shield. Use magicka cost reduction an block cost reduction glyphes depending on what runs out earlier and block A LOT!
    This will allow you to stand some time - MUCH MUCH longer than 2sec against pretty much everyone. Goging from there, try to get a feelign for wehn you can go on the offense and at V14, maybe switch to one of the damage oriented alternatives (or redo a heavy armor build with proper equip - depending on your taste
    @bbu - AD/EU
    Kasiia - Templar (AR46)
    Kasiir Aberion - Sorc (AR38)
    Dr Kastafari - Warden (~AR31)
    + many others
  • cozmon3c_ESO
    cozmon3c_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you want more mobility to get away as a templar you will need to become a Vampire and get mist form, the templar i have in my group has it and can just about keep up with us sorcs bolting around. though be ready for the side effect of having vampire if you want the mobility because camaflague hunter may kick your ass every once in a while, or a lot :).

oh and jesus beam your ass off on low health targets, and watch everyone melt around you, especially as a magicka build.
    Guild UMBRA Chapter Lead
    ~Leper Si -V14 Sorcerer~
    Youtube Channel - Leper
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCozmon3c/videos
  • earth_angel
    earth_angel
    ✭✭
    I am not a PvP expert but I experienced the same problems (began going in PvP to get some good PvP gear for PvE). You should try group PvP rather than solo : templars are great for support. If you want to solo I would advice the following changes :

If you want to stick to magicka I would advice more mana regen (atronach stone). For gear I would consider the seducer set or magnus or whitestrake. For food use the three stats ones if you can. Save your stamina for CC break.

For skills, you lack shields. I run three (blazing shield, healing ward and absorb magicka) that I stack. I also use rapid regeneration and cleansing ritual for very nice HoT. The only DPS skills you need are either force pulse (medium weaving) or puncturing sweep. Get a crowd control ability (destructive reach is nice). Keep breath of life, cleansing ritual and radiant oppression. For ultimates I run remembrance and shooting star.
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You might want to read the Templar theorycrafting forums over at Tamriel foundry. Also look through these forums for builds, rotations and strategies. The builds themselves aren't really important, you just want to understand why people are using what they use to get a better understanding of game mechanics, what works and what doesn't.