The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Sorcerer bug: Crystal fragments 20% proc dmg stacks with itself

glavius
glavius
✭✭✭✭✭
I found out that crystal fragments 20% dmg proc stacks with itself.
Proc it 3 times and only cast the fragment after that gives a dmg increase of 72.8% instead of 20%.
Removing this bug will create even less sorc whining :-)
  • glavius
    glavius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bear in mind it has to be several procs within the 8 sec timeframe for it to stack.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's not a bug ... it's a feature <grin>
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • glavius
    glavius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rather they change this than start throwing random nerfs at sorcs
  • Sypher
    Sypher
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    That's really interesting... Thanks for sharing.

There's also a bug (more like an exploit) with overload that I plan to put out there to get Zenimax's attention.

I personally don't think sorcs are overpowered. But I think there are bugs that need to be fixed.

Edit: Just tested this in game and the OP is telling the truth.
    Edited by Sypher on April 25, 2015 3:09PM
    DC Dragonknight 'Sypher - AD Nightblade Sypher Ali - AD Sorcerer Sypher Sensei - EP Sorcerer Sypharian - DC Templar Ali Sypher

Youtube: www.youtube.com/SypherPK
    Twitch: www.twitch.tv/SypherPK
  • Ahzek
    Ahzek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes the OP is certainly correct.
    I guess thats why we see such large frag hits that should not be possible otherwise. =/

@Sypher with overload exploit you are reffering to generating ultimate with canceled heavy attacks (which is highly unreliable and pretty inefficient) or somthing worse ?
    Edited by Ahzek on April 25, 2015 3:26PM
    Jo'Khaljor
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should keep this in the game holy crap.
    The Tomb of FPS Alteration Magic - Everything You Need to Know About FPS
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    glavius wrote: »
    I found out that crystal fragments 20% dmg proc stacks with itself.
    Proc it 3 times and only cast the fragment after that gives a dmg increase of 72.8% instead of 20%.
    Removing this bug will create even less sorc whining :-)

This is so silly, though. How much DPS do you waste trying to proc CF? Think about it. Instead of trying to "exploit" an extra 72% damage, the caster could have gained an extra 100% damage by simply casting CF twice.

Anyone who uses this exploit is probably doing their victim a favor!
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Ahzek
    Ahzek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is not as clear as you make it sound @Emma_Eunjung .

1st: In PvE you only cast frags when they procc from your standard rotaiton. If you fire them instantly you deal the basic 20% bonus dmg but you also loose out on another spell of your rotation, probably crushing shock. Thus you don't actually get 100% extra damage but 100% extra damage - your CS damage. Keeping your frag procc till the last second gives you 6 35% chances to increase the damage further. I did not do the exact math and instantly firing the frag might still result inf more DPS however its not a straigt 100% increase as you make it seem.

2nd: In PvP the meta now largely resolves around burst damage should you (in most situations) try to fire your frag in sync with your burst combo for the biggest burst for which the chance of additional frag damage is highly superior to firing a stray fragment that might even screw up your combo (missed ultimate cast for example).
    Additionally many good players keep an eye out for enemie frag proccs and are prepared to use counterplay immedeatly after it proccs keeping your fragment can (but that ofc depends on your opponent) help you to throw them off guard OR allow for more pressure with the constant threat of a fragment looming over their head preventing for example a melee NB from going in with ambush.

Of course there are beneficial situations for casting fragments as soon as they come available ( finishing off a CC'd opponent that wouldnt die to anoter spell) but especially in PvP the ability to ramp up additional frag damage is quite valuable and certainly not doing your victim a favor (unless that victim then goes to the forums with their crazy frag damage recap and actually manages to get sorcs nerfed with it x_x )
    Jo'Khaljor
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahzek wrote: »
    That is not as clear as you make it sound @Emma_Eunjung .

1st: In PvE you only cast frags when they procc from your standard rotaiton. If you fire them instantly you deal the basic 20% bonus dmg but you also loose out on another spell of your rotation, probably crushing shock. Thus you don't actually get 100% extra damage but 100% extra damage - your CS damage. Keeping your frag procc till the last second gives you 6 35% chances to increase the damage further. I did not do the exact math and instantly firing the frag might still result inf more DPS however its not a straigt 100% increase as you make it seem.

2nd: In PvP the meta now largely resolves around burst damage should you (in most situations) try to fire your frag in sync with your burst combo for the biggest burst for which the chance of additional frag damage is highly superior to firing a stray fragment that might even screw up your combo (missed ultimate cast for example).
    Additionally many good players keep an eye out for enemie frag proccs and are prepared to use counterplay immedeatly after it proccs keeping your fragment can (but that ofc depends on your opponent) help you to throw them off guard OR allow for more pressure with the constant threat of a fragment looming over their head preventing for example a melee NB from going in with ambush.

Of course there are beneficial situations for casting fragments as soon as they come available ( finishing off a CC'd opponent that wouldnt die to anoter spell) but especially in PvP the ability to ramp up additional frag damage is quite valuable and certainly not doing your victim a favor (unless that victim then goes to the forums with their crazy frag damage recap and actually manages to get sorcs nerfed with it x_x )

OK, your 2nd point about PvP makes sense, but I'm still not convinced this a great tool for PvE. Maybe it's just me, but I've found that fishing for CF procs is just a distraction that makes it more likely that I'll flub my rotation at a critical moment.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Germtrocity
    Germtrocity
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was completely unaware of this bug, but I think it would be cool for zenimax to keep it in the game, seeing as they enjoy making sorcerer DPS very rng based with frag procs in the first place, it would add another layer to PvP and PvE.
    It would make you have an 8 second regular rotation gamble, do you use your proc right away for an instant small DPS boost? Or do you risk getting other frag procs and gaining more damage? In PvE, the frag procs are a large part of sustain, because they are basically free DPS, and in PvP if you are approaching the 8 second timer on your frag proc, your opponent will be well aware of your frags.

I just feel as if it adds another layer of strategy in an rng based gamble, if the bug is kept in-game, but on the other hand it could be terribly overpowered, and I definitely understand fixing it. :)

Seeing both sides of it, I am happy with whichever way it goes, though I have not actually tested the actual frag combo stacking damage yet, will see how it goes.
  • Pixysticks
    Pixysticks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather just throw the frag and get another instant-cast one, instead of just stacking the base damage a little bit each time. lol
    Alacrity

Retired 05/04/15.
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I hope they fix this so people can stop with the crying about the super hard hitting frags.
    You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  • Kupoking
    Kupoking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh *** my life from now on until the fix.

I already had the worst match ups agains sorcs.
  • Valnas
    Valnas
    ✭✭✭✭
    i've bugged this, it prexisted 1.6 as you could see frag cost reduce to near 0. The addition of the 20% dmg to it was the only change
    RE: april 8th in why nirn is crazy
    Valnas wrote: »
    *LINK*fix *LINK* frags, don't nerf magicka dps cause your listening to squeaky wheels who died to bugged frags

*LINKS*
    Even non crit, they're kinda 2 legit
    *LINKS*
    bug pre-existed 1.6, and was reintroduced and bugged on PTS before live.

tooltip frag is 8662, and 9485 w/ surge up.

i guess this is the new pts now!
    Edited by Valnas on April 25, 2015 4:45PM
    Fluph Head EP sorc dank magus
    valnäs EP nb
    opHotterslol AD dk
  • Huntler
    Huntler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought this was common knowledge already? From the looks of it I guess not.
  • Sypher
    Sypher
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ahzek wrote: »
    Yes the OP is certainly correct.
    I guess thats why we see such large frag hits that should not be possible otherwise. =/

@Sypher with overload exploit you are reffering to generating ultimate with canceled heavy attacks (which is highly unreliable and pretty inefficient) or somthing worse ?

It's much worse and can only be done with intention to take advantage of an obvious oversight.

Regarding the frags, don't try to defend this guys. Whether it's more effecient to throw the frag immediately or "save up" procs for a big hit is not relevant to the fact that this is not intended and most likely an oversight.

DC Dragonknight 'Sypher - AD Nightblade Sypher Ali - AD Sorcerer Sypher Sensei - EP Sorcerer Sypharian - DC Templar Ali Sypher

Youtube: www.youtube.com/SypherPK
    Twitch: www.twitch.tv/SypherPK
  • Snit
    Snit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking as a sorc who relies heavily on CF procs to kill in PvP, this should be fixed. Three procs + Might of the Guild are a potential 80% damage increase. If it crits... well, that's just too much.
    Snit AD Sorc
    Ratbag AD Warden Tank
    Goblins AD Stamblade

• Bahalul
    Bahalul
    ✭✭✭
    No no no please don't fix it.

You will just break another 10 things.
  • cozmon3c_ESO
    cozmon3c_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well this explains why i hit harder when i hold a frag to time a better hit. i just thought my timing was better and thats why they get hit so hard lol.
    Guild UMBRA Chapter Lead
    ~Leper Si -V14 Sorcerer~
    Youtube Channel - Leper
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCozmon3c/videos
  • Huntler
    Huntler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well this explains why i hit harder when i hold a frag to time a better hit. i just thought my timing was better and thats why they get hit so hard lol.

While some have said you lose dps by holding a long time for three, even holding it for 1 extra proc can be useful since burst dps is so important (moreso than sustain dps). I joked about this in TS a lot saying its sad that a bug is going to get sorcs nerfed and then when they fix the bug, sorcs are going to be up a creek...
  • Itoq
    Itoq
    ✭✭✭✭
    aoqji1.png

The above was a past hit against mobs. My gear and cp was nothing special and I wasn't intentionally over-buffing crystal frags.

In pvp the highest crystal frag that I know that have been hit with is 18,520. The highest non crystal frags player hit I have taken is a wrecking blow at over 15,838. Both amounts silly as are spammable skills that hit for ~10k.

• ShadowStep
    ShadowStep
    ✭✭
    Pixysticks wrote: »
    I'd rather just throw the frag and get another instant-cast one, instead of just stacking the base damage a little bit each time. lol

lol i see what ur doing now..
    Come At me Bruh
    ShadowStep Vr14
    Taylor Swift Vr14