The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Need sorc advice...

Knifetwister
Knifetwister
Soul Shriven
This will be a long one, I have lots of questions. I apologize in advance.

So I finally got my main up to vr14, and I'm having ... problems.

Some info for context: This is the only toon I've put any real effort into. Rolled sorcerer in beta, loved it, leveled awhile, cancelled sub for real life reasons a while ago. Came back when Unlimited dropped. Picked the sorc back up, still loved it, slogged through the insane grind to VR14 (I'm a completionist, so it took forever).

I'm one of those people who spend hours of downtime researching builds, theorycrafting, analyzing live streams, things like that. I dig for info to answer questions before I need to ask for help. I now feel I've exhausted my research and want to ask some questions here to finally figure out what in the seven hells I'm doing wrong.

So, I feel like I suck at sorcerer pvp. I prefer Cyrodiil over just about everything else right now, but I'm having a heck of a time trying to do anything. I die far more often and far easier than I should, based on how I see other players doing. My damage is decent, but getting that damage off is an excersize in futility. I know everyone says sorcerers are overpowered. Perhaps they are in the right hands. I don't actually see all that many sorcs in the hours upon hours I've spent in Cyrodiil, compared to DKs and NBs. I die regularly to dk stomps, lethal arrow, and the random other hits for 10k+ that just happen out of nowhere. If I get sniped while mounted, I'm typically dead before I even hit the ground, much less able to fight back.

When I hit VR14, I bought gear from guild traders. Not amazing gear, and not the coveted sets I see people hunting for, but sets that I could have access to. I am almost exclusively a solo player, so I do not run group instances, therefore I don't have the means to farm those uber sets everyone wants.

So here's my breakdown:

-Fire destro/resto.
-My bars change regularly, but my destro bar is invariably some form of frags/fury, mixed with velocious curse, fire rune, daedric minefield and hardened ward.
-Resto bar is typically streak, healing ward, harness magicka, power surge, healing springs, mutagen, and/or hardened ward. This bar also changes often.
-Ultimates are either Meteor, Devouring Swarm or Absorption Field. But generally I run Overload for the third bar which gives me room for anti-zerg aoe spells.

My gear is currently a mix of magnus' gift and destruction mastery sets, all purple. Magicka cost reduction rings and neck. Night mother destro staff (no other peices to the set, it was a cheap buy) and magnus' resto staff. Everything is magicka enchants. Most are infused, some are reinforced, I'd prefer Divines, but I didn't have much control there.

I stared with all pts into magicka, but after the millionth time getting insta-vaporized, I dumped points into health. Which seemed to have little effect. I could take another tick of damage at the cost of a sizable hit to my damage output. I don't even bother worrying about regen at this point, because fights never seem to last long enough for regen to have any effect.

One major complaint is Vampirism. I truly love being a vampire, I love the stealth movement speed buffs, and the magicka and stam recovery boosts. Been vampire since forever, don't want to drop it. But in PvP, the negatives outweigh the positives severely. Everything does fire damage. I mean everything. As in, every time I open a recap window, one of the hits is always a big fire hit from somewhere. DKs are a big source of frustration in this area. I'm trying to work around it, but man, I really feel like I'm getting punished big time for those slight vamp perks.

As far as the playstyle, I understand how sorcs work and play. When I can freely cast, yeah, I can melt people. But that almost never happens. I'm constantly eating my own nukes because defensive posture is EVERYWHERE. When they aren't reflecting everything back in my face, they are dodge rolling to infinity and I can't land anything. But if they get on me, I struggle even more due to the excessive damage geared players are capable of. When I'm taking all this absurd damage, I'm spamming my shields to stay alive. But spamming shields means I'm not doing damage, so I'm unable to get pressure off of me. Death ensues. Sure, I can streak out most situations, but I don't like having to run away when things get hairy. Sometimes, you just want to stay and fight. And I feel like I'm unable to.

Getting cc'd at all means death for me. Period. I'm not exaggerating at all here. I have a tiny stam pool and can afford one break out or dodge roll before having to sit in a full cc. If I get stunned or knocked down, it's game over. I'm simply too squishy to be able to handle the incoming damage that occurs between the time my face hits the dirt to when I get back up on my feel. The damage flying around in PvP is astronomically ridiculous.

I'm sorry this is so long and wordy, but I'm basically just getting it all out there here and now. I feel like I really just need some general help. I'm sure some of this can be solved by playing better, but even the streams I've watched of sorcs roaming or small group pvp don't give me much hope, as most of them seem to have the same problems I'm having, just while wearing better gear.

Plz halp.

*Extra note: I spent much of my time leveling as a sorc sniper, almost exclusively until I got to about V7 or so. Full medium with bow/dw or bow/resto. It's fantastic for ganking and picking people off, but I hadn't had much success as sorc sniper in PvP early on, and I really don't just want to be one of those d-bags who just picks people off from stealth all the time. But if I can't make caster sorc work, would going back to sniper sorc be a viable option? Any other sorc snipers out there?*

• BrassRazoo
    BrassRazoo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel your pain.
    I can't really help but am interested in the answer.
    I'm a VR14 Sorc and pretty well suck at PvP too.
    Maybe because I'm mainly and console player and just hopeless at the controls in this game with Keyboard and Mouse.
    I don't understand how one can use WASD and hit 1,2,3,4,5 with the one hand.
    I watch in envy at all the Sorc PvP vids.
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the main tips i've had in PvP is knowing what your enemy has and do a general counter. Heavy armor, shield stacking seems to be quite useful in the long run but I get why dks and NBs are quite a powerhouse in PvP; they are able to heal and deal damage at the same time.

Now I might be wrong but buttons wise.. I use a simple 5 button mouse, which lets me keybind at least the first three abilities to the mouse and leave the ultimate and the other two skills as a keyboard press. Its cheap and you can get it as low as 20 bucks for it.

Now for the skills themselves, i'd say ditch the hardened ward and Daedric mines. Especially the mines. It makes no sense to hurl mines when your enemy can see it. Velocious curse in most parts is fantastic but the duration for it to combust would usually mean the player has already cleanse it. Fire Rune while doing tremendous damage, is also another ability that does not do well in PvP.

Use crystal fragments, shattering prison, structured entrophy, streak and magelight ( depending on your favoured Morph) for the first bar. Use destro to get the penetration passive going.

The resto bar, make use of mutagen and combat prayer, streak with Immovable brute. Pair these two up and keep the last slot as your utility skill, be it inner light, bound aegis, Unstable Clannfear, ( the heal that it gives out is amazing) Vigor or even lightning form can all help with your survivability.

Wear heavy armor, at least two of it to keep your mitigation to the best of the ratio. Light armor is best for magicka cost but it really depends on your playstyle.

Dont forget to block, and often. Most players think just because heavy armor is beast you dont have to block. Its your best friend and knowing when to use your best friend will be the difference in keeping up with the group or death.

Hope it helps!
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If youre on EU server, hit me up ill give you some tips ingame and even show you ingame. Biggest tip I have right off the bat is Hardened Ward. Your light armor equals no protection, so you need damage shields.

@Jovre

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Knifetwister
    Knifetwister
    Soul Shriven
    I heard someone earlier today talking about absorption shields. Said something to the effect that when you have any kind of absorption shield, that it negates any inherent defenses from your gear. As in, armor and spell resist are not taken into account when someone is hitting your shields.

I can't find any info on this, is it correct?
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes that is correct. Damage Shields are the first line of defence. See brawler (two hander)and shielded assault ( sword and shield)

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • Knifetwister
    Knifetwister
    Soul Shriven
    I see. I guess I assumed that higher inherent defense reduced the beating your shields took, I'll be sure to keep this in mind from now on. Explains why I never see full heavy armor sorcs spamming shields to the same effect as the light armor wearers. Would be far too draining to maintain.
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But do take note there is only so much damage Shields can do, your inherent armor and spell resistance are very important as well. Having heavy armor increases your damage mitigation since light armor as of now, are very squishy.

Of Wolf and Raven