The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Up to date skill calculator?

• Lightword
    Lightword
    ✭✭
    http://eso-skills.com/ Hello English!
  • Molagent
    Molagent
    ✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    I think this is the most telling thing about why the game is going B2P. When the fansites go out of date because they are not playing it. Add ons made by individualy is one thing but FAN sites? Some of them even very heavy TES series sites?
    Fansites went out of date for a myriad of reasons. Which ones do you want to hear?
    -The poor story line to ESO entirely which feels more of a chore than anything especially at VR. The bugs in the factions during launch were horrible and what was worse was the developers refused anyone to actually view the story during Beta and since most were grinding out every millisecond of time they could, quests were almost entirely left unchecked during the Betas. So there's some major foul balls, if that's not enough I dare you to play the whole story.
    -If you're not pissed, I can already tell you that you're no fan to the ES series and if we checked stocks for the title I bet Zenimax is all over it like Blizzard to casuals.
    -It's been a year now, someone want to explain over at Zenimax how memory leaks are still a major issue? Oh and I'm counting from Betas.
    -When people heard about the nerf to PvP AoE combat it was an intense hatred like you wouldn't believe. People loved being able to charge in and knock back, burn, and/or stun over 10 people especially since (at least when I played) Cyrodiil was so intensive. Nothing quite like galloping through the terrain only to be ganked by an entire 20+ man guild all stealthed... or Sneaking up to others and trying to heal everyone and not die yourself, which the nerf also sent terror into the minds of all the healers... How the hell are you a healer if you can only heal 5 out of 50 people?
    -Be a hardcore gamer and try to choose a race in ESO. Most difficult thing in the world, UNLESS you're going for a full on DPS sorc then High Elf is without a doubt the best choice. But what if you want to roll in HA or use something other than a staff?
    -Zygor Guides pulled out of the ESO market exclusively because they saw people on launch go from 1 to 40+ in the first day and people were already in the VR content (early access ftw.)
    -The Guild Stores/Auctions were dead for a long time with the only answer being ban waves that were ineffective (could have learned from DnD: Neverwinter) and a rollback of I think it was 7ish or so hours? Which pissed off EVERYONE, because EVERYONE was grinding mobs not quests, not to mention crafters who were researching. That was ugly...
    -Mara Rings, enough said, smh.
    Need I go through more reasons?
    Lightword wrote: »
    Horrible choice for a skill calc. Having to back out of the entire thing just to choose a different race is annoying. There's a reason such isn't in practically every one that ever existed.
    Hmm... I'm actually toying with idea of making one (I'm an app developer, and I'm extremely invested in this game so I have an interest in making this properly)... just to make sure I'm actually on the right track here, what exactly is the point of an skills calculator? What features make it work properly? What features would you like to see included?
    If you want any amount of advice, then follow the KISS rule. Make it look similar to ESO for fanboys or simplify it and make it more appealing to someone for extended use. God knows I can end up on a calc for hours especially with this game. I hate choosing races more than anything and constantly look at stats from a VR1s eyes (why VR1 and not 14, simple I look for the best outputs then scale to see how they'd progress), I would suggest adding a feature to include armor and weapon choices. Sets and/or glyphs with rarity included.
    Edited by Molagent on April 8, 2015 1:48AM
    "Happiness is foolishness I don't care for. When a scientist discovers something new that person would be willing to die to uncover the result of it. In that moment there is no happiness but an obsessiveness with interest. And it is with great pleasure I say I am not, nor ever desire to be happy, but take luxury and with sense of halcyon that I am interesting."
  • nemo284b16_ESO
    nemo284b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Lightword wrote: »

Awesome!

To quote the original Thief game: Join us, join us, join us now!
  • Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm confused what you would use a skill calculator for? Just the ability to share builds? I mean you have 10 skills with two potential morphs and you can see all of this in game with ease. It's not even that much to type since it is only 10 skills. I have toyed around with options and expanding my cs calculators into this realm but I don't understand the purpose for a skill calculator in this game. This makes it difficult to create something useful.
  • joshisanonymous
    joshisanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭
    ESOHead was finally updated just before 1.6 came out (meaning it includes at least all the changes from 1.6).
    Fedrals / EP / Dunmer Nightblade

• PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faugaun wrote: »
    I'm confused what you would use a skill calculator for? Just the ability to share builds? I mean you have 10 skills with two potential morphs and you can see all of this in game with ease. It's not even that much to type since it is only 10 skills. I have toyed around with options and expanding my cs calculators into this realm but I don't understand the purpose for a skill calculator in this game. This makes it difficult to create something useful.

uh, no, you cannot have a quick glance at morphs in-game.

Also, it is called theory crafting and getting help, if you use a skill calculator it is MUCH easier to assess how someone build a character and ask for help before they actually start the build in-game, allowing for less time wasted leveling moves that might be useless.
  • Molagent
    Molagent
    ✭✭

Most of the elitists use skill calcs to get a "blueprint" of what to spec in and how, and what's good over bad. etc. And where exactly do you keep with this 10 skills? By default you can use at a minimum of 12 skills. A lot of people want to know the ins and outs of those choices to avoid backtracking or finding a build too "hazardous" or weak. If you're in game you don't get to view morphs once it's already morphed or you haven't unlocked it. That. Is. Annoying.
    Edited by Molagent on April 23, 2015 3:49AM
    "Happiness is foolishness I don't care for. When a scientist discovers something new that person would be willing to die to uncover the result of it. In that moment there is no happiness but an obsessiveness with interest. And it is with great pleasure I say I am not, nor ever desire to be happy, but take luxury and with sense of halcyon that I am interesting."
  • Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Molagent wrote: »

Most of the elitists use skill calcs to get a "blueprint" of what to spec in and how, and what's good over bad. etc. And where exactly do you keep with this 10 skills? By default you can use at a minimum of 12 skills. A lot of people want to know the ins and outs of those choices to avoid backtracking or finding a build too "hazardous" or weak. If you're in game you don't get to view morphs once it's already morphed or you haven't unlocked it. That. Is. Annoying.

10 actives + 2 ulti...sorry wasn't including ultimates.

So basically you want an up to date tool tip for the base skill and its morphs? Does it need to save your build for sharing or is that just icing on the cake? I've never built a system for sharing saved interactive web data but I'll do some research and see if I can pull that off as well. I think the morphs and selections should be lengthy to code but fairly straight forward.
  • TheToxicGunner
    TheToxicGunner
    Soul Shriven
    Hmm... I'm actually toying with idea of making one (I'm an app developer, and I'm extremely invested in this game so I have an interest in making this properly)... just to make sure I'm actually on the right track here, what exactly is the point of an skills calculator? What features make it work properly? What features would you like to see included?

Ok so let me run you down on a VERY NEEDED Build Calculator. It might be too late but I want to tell you in case you already made one and want to change it or make another or whatever. ESO Head has the best layout but it's not up to date.
    IDEAL BUILD CALCULATOR:
    -Class, Race, Alliance
    -Magicka, Stamina, Health bars for attribute points
    -Heavy, Medium, Light armor slots
    -Boon
    -All skills, organized into their respective sections with a skill point total next to section name and name of each skill line
    -Base skill and morphs next to each one
    -Level of each skill line that increases as you select skills to show what level you would need to be to have all selected skills
    -Skill point total
    -2 ability bars w/weapon slot and optional 3rd bar if using an ultimate that allows you to have one
    -Click and drag abilities into bars
    -Make it look as close to in game as possible

I would literally rate 5/5 and share around and praise this if it existed HOLY *** it would be the best. Again basically an updated eso head one with a little bit better interface