Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Palomino Horse gone for good?

• IrishGirlGamer
    IrishGirlGamer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bookwyrm wrote: »
    Let's look at it this way:
    * All mounts are now placed in the Collections tab, making them accessible to all characters on your account/server.

Is this true? So if I buy a horse, in game, for 42k, I only need to buy it once, as it then goes to my "collections" tab and is then available for all characters?

I've never tested this and don't want to spend the gold to do so, but I might actually buy an in-game horse IF I only had to buy it once ...

So while mounts are account-based, skills are character-based. If mounts had individual skill boosts on them, that would directly conflict the character-based riding skill mechanic. Also, if someone bought all mounts with "boosts" (like I have), then all my characters would have that extra advantage. I can attest that this is not true--upon creating a new character, for instance, I did not have an extra 10 bag slots from owning the "Draft Horse" (I don't believe its named that anymore). My other characters created pre-patch also do not have an extra 10 bag slots, not even the character upon which the horse was purchased. The same is true for the other two horses and riding skills--I have received no bonus on any character.

And if it were true that the character that purchased the horse would receive the skill increase, it would be extremely frustrating, since all of your characters are locked out of purchasing a mount once its been purchased and unlocked in your Collections tab (to prevent you from wasting your hard-earned gold).

Actually, this isn't necessarily how it has to work. If Horse A had one stat group and Horse B had a different stat group, those could be the base stats for that particular type of horse. The riding skills, associated with the player, would then add on to that stat base (buff it if you will) as these skills would still be associated with the player's character, not the horse. The horses base stats wouldn't change in any way.

It would be like putting a health buff on a piece of armor.

So no, it really, really doesn't have to be this way.

(Edited for clarity.)
    Edited by IrishGirlGamer on April 8, 2015 7:13PM
    Valar Morghulis.

Someday I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull. Arya Stark

You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well. Sansa Stark

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. Desmond Tutu
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this true? So if I buy a horse, in game, for 42k, I only need to buy it once, as it then goes to my "collections" tab and is then available for all characters?
    Yes, this is the way all horses work now, whether you buy them with gold or crowns. I can confirm this as I have bought both crown store mounts and stable mounts since 1.6 dropped.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • farrier_ESO
    farrier_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    If mounts had individual skill boosts on them, that would directly conflict the character-based riding skill mechanic.

"If weapons had individual skill boosts on them, that would directly conflict the character-based combat skill mechanic." Skill buffs from items is pretty normal in the gaming industry.

This is why I emphasized the word empirical. I'm uninterested in subjective arguments about how people feel it ought to operate, if they were designing it. I'm only interested in objective answers of how it actually does work under testing.
    the "Draft Horse" (I don't believe its named that anymore).

Yup, it's the "Brown Paint Horse", now. The name has changed, but the traits that their descriptions are about are still the same three that are trained. This is in fact the basis for my question. The descriptions still imply (without giving numbers or explicitly stating) that the horses differ in speed, carrying capacity, and endurance.

Bay Dun Horse: This energetic mount was bred for speed and agility and is well-liked by battlefield scouts.
    Brown Paint Horse: Favored by farmers and traders, this muscular horse is strong and patient.
    Midnight Steed: Capable of keeping an even pace over long distances, this beast's spirit never flags.
    Sorrel Horse: A hardy, well-rounded beast. Unremarkable, and dependable.

From a UX point of view, this seems a strange thing for them to have left unchanged, even for color, if these things are now completely untrue. It's one thing to describe the traits for which the horses were bred; that's fine. It's quite another to have three of them perfectly match the three training traits, and be more expensive than a fourth which is described as not excelling in those three traits. A deceptive UI is not intuitive or new-user-friendly.

As I understand your post, you addressed some slightly different (but still useful!) questions than the one I asked: whether the owning character (or any other) got a permanent training bonus from a horse being transferred from pre-patch; and extrapolated that theoretically to whether purchasing a mount might grant a permanent bonus. Impressively thorough that you considered so many other variables (who's the owner, whether you bought it pre- or post-patch, etc), even if to a different question.

What I asked was I think much simpler: if anyone had empirically tested switching mounts to see if they granted a buff. Simple objective question, doesn't need any theoretical or subjective what-ifs and there's only one variable (which mount) which I sought to control by specifying the draft horse (brown paint horse).

I was hoping for an answer more like...
    UrQuan wrote: »
    I can tell you for sure that on my main, with every riding skill maxed out to 60, switching between mounts makes exactly zero difference to any of those stats.

Excellent, thank you: exactly what I was hoping someone had tested :) As you were careful to point out, that does leave the very minor possibility of it still giving a buff but the skill being capped at 60. To eliminate that, you could check inventory capacity on a non-maxed mule while switching, but probably not worth it.
    Yet another indie games programmer.
    Upvote the change you want to see.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was hoping for an answer more like...
    I can tell you for sure that on my main, with every riding skill maxed out to 60, switching between mounts makes exactly zero difference to any of those stats.

Excellent, thank you: exactly what I was hoping someone had tested :) As you were careful to point out, that does leave the very minor possibility of it still giving a buff but the skill being capped at 60. To eliminate that, you could check inventory capacity on a non-maxed mule while switching, but probably not worth it.
    Um, I could except that all 8 of my characters on my main account (the one that has all of the horsies - my second account just has the Imperial horse unlocked) have that maxed out... Sorry. I still doubt that it has any effect anymore even for characters without anything put into riding skill, but I can't rule it out entirely.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • farrier_ESO
    farrier_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Um, I could except that all 8 of my characters on my main account have that maxed out... Sorry.

*shakes an envious fist*
    If I'd only fed all my alts' horses up while I had the chance, I coulda done it in 50 days instead of 150... ah, well. I'll be caught up in another 150 days or so.

I agree with your doubts, but I think I'll go buy one anyway, just to categorically lay this to rest.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Um, I could except that all 8 of my characters on my main account have that maxed out... Sorry.

*shakes an envious fist*
    If I'd only fed all my alts' horses up while I had the chance, I coulda done it in 50 days instead of 150... ah, well. I'll be caught up in another 150 days or so.

I agree with your doubts, but I think I'll go buy one anyway, just to categorically lay this to rest.
    Yeah, shortly after I found out about the upcoming changes to horses prior to 1.6 dropping, I gave all of my alts 3 Imperial horses (previously they only had 1 each of course), and started feeding all 3 horses every day. I wasn't quite up to 50 on each when 1.6 came around, but I was close enough that they are now all at 60 for speed, 60 for capacity, and working on stamina.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • ThisOnePosts
    ThisOnePosts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to pop in and clear up some confusion. While the Palomino horse is no longer sold on our website, we do have plans to sell the Palomino in the Crown Store at some point in the near future (though we can say it won't be this month as we've already revealed what those items will be).

This feels like the appropriate time to ask: Are all the items in the Crown Store limited time only? And how can we tell when the time is about to run out?
    Not all items, though we may sell limited-availability items in the future. If that's the case, we'll let you know ahead of time so you have time to plan for a purchase.

So as of now, Crown Store New Releases are only going to be 1x per month?
    Edited by ThisOnePosts on April 9, 2015 8:02PM
  • farrier_ESO
    farrier_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    So as of now, Crown Store New Releases are only going to be 1x per month?

Good question!

@ZOS_GinaBruno - Elsewhere I've mentioned my reticence to buy "until things have settled down in the store". I didn't want buyer's remorse if something else great comes out the day after that I can no longer afford.

If there's a steady schedule like monthly, then I can be guaranteed a decent amount of enjoyment time, free of remorse. I can also budget, knowing that I will buy what I want this month without needing to hold a little in hand in case some great short-term offer comes out.

So, conf on this would be great.

[Edit: Oh, and on a level 3, without encumbrance training maxed, can confirm that switching mounts between Imperial and Brown Paint horses did not affect inventory capacity. Yay for definitive proof that horses don't buff and are completely cosmetic.]
    Edited by farrier_ESO on April 17, 2015 5:47AM