Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New to ESO, have many questions

NightStrom
Hello everyone! Greetings from Turkey. Since I'm a big fan of Skyrim, I decided to have a break from WOW and try ESO. I have many questions about the game, so any help is appreciated.

-First of all, I always play as a Tank in MMORPGs, how are tanks in ESO? I read a post regarding how bad tanks perform,, but that was long time ago. How are they now? Are tanks needed in Dungeons? Because some people claim tanks aren't mandatory like they are in WOW.
-I bought the Standard Edition, what will I miss if I don't subscribe monthly? What are the downloadable contents? (Please elaborate)
-How is the class balance?
-I heard that many players were unsatisfied in the beginning. How's the current status now? Probably the game evolved into something much better, but did they adress the issues that caused the problems?
-I really like solo contents. Can I participate in such activity in ESO? I'm talking about end game (or near end game), of course.
-Is there a paywall in this game?
-Can I make gold with trading/crafting/gathering? I always wanted to roleplay as a "Merchant".
-Is there many sets that certainly provide a unique feeling? How is the item variation?
-How is the build variation?
-Can someone compare ESO over WOW (or other MMORPGs)?

Thanks in advance. I wish everyone a good day.

Best Answers

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tanks are not mandatory in dungeons, they just help. You can't be a Light Armor tank like you used to, but that's OK, Heavy Armor works just fine.

Subscriptions give you a 10% exp boost across the board, and free acess to DLCs in a rental format (stop subbing, you don't have access to the DLC) where the people who buy the DLC for crowns can always access the content

Class Balance is fine, just play to your character and races strengths and mitigate their weaknesses (no this is not a Min/Max thing, just common sense)

Of course people complained, they think it gives them chops to do so. Most of the complaints I never understood. The game is great if you enjoy it, so play it and find out for your self if you like it or not.

The game is not perfect, but it gets better with each patch.

You can do everything but group dungeons Solo. Dolmens might be tricky that way, but someone always comes along.

No paywall, or Pay to Win stuff either.

Yes, you can make gold with Alchemy gathering, Potency Rune Collecting and other Consumable crafting activities including of course making stuff and selling it. You can also make money by buying low and selling high. Your probably not going to make bank being an equipment crafter, but you can pay the bills going that route. And, you don't have to buy equipment.

Items and builds can be all over the board, go explore your options there. The recent changes to Stamina basically doubled the build diversity. Get the equipment that suits your build and playstyle and don't worry about the shiny that someone else is chasing.

Compare WOW to ESO? Different games with different goals for different reasons.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Answer ✓
  • Fyrakin
    Fyrakin
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard :) .
    • Tanks are mandatory for small group content, but in general needed, any class can perform as a tank (with some differences) - it depends on a kind of tank you want to be. There are many tank templates you can try.
    • Difference between version is just some crown store unlocks (Standard edition can't play any race in any alliance, doesn't have an imperial horse for 1 gold, and a few more items not worth mentioning. Honestly, you won't miss all that much.
    • Classes are pretty much balanced, it depends on a weapon and armor your class uses. Of cource there are some slight advantages for weapons from specific classes, but there is no easy or hard class so to speak.
    • In the beginning game was very challenging, some monsters were very hard to solo even in solo only instances. Now, the game is new player friendly, challenges are where they should be, veteran level group dungeons, trials, etc.
    • I'm not sure what was bad and had to get better. So, struggling to answer this. Worth to mention that ESO is more enjoyable and more rewarding than it was in the beginning.
    • Yes, ESO is solo player friendly. You would be able to solo all of the quests that are marked as solo (there are not many quests marked for groups). Once you get near the end levels you may start exploring group content.
    • Payment is one time for the content you bought. Expansions are like DLCs, you pay for what you want to access, so far there is nothing extra to buy.
    • Yes, there are wealthy traders who buy and sell stuff for profit. Also you can benefit from crafting, though it will require some time investment as research takes considerable time if you plan to make gold from crafted armor or weapons.
    • For the time being set variety is somewhat liming, there are sets for each role and for the most play styles, even have some odd bonuses, its something I expect to get better in the future.
    • I'm not sure how to answer that. Pretty much any player has their own build. Well, pve at least.
    • No, never played WOW, but could compare to SWTOR or LOTRO. ESO feels and looks as a higher quality game. Some MMORPG aspects are quite different.
    NA Megaserver (810) - Fyrakin, Loremaster Fyrakin, Cartographer Fyrakin, Taskmaster Tobin, Zergas, Texa, Furnacius, Hextex
    EU Megaserver (167) - Fyrakin
    MiniMap author
    Answer ✓
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NightStrom wrote: »
    Thank you both very much. These answers indeed cleared almost all of the questions in my mind. What I meant with comparison was the major differences regarding to gameplay in WOW and ESO. For example, comparison of raids, crafting, PVP, class mechanics etc.

And I have one more question about DLCs, what are they? Are they expansion packs or something like additional dungeons?

I haven't played WoW in a LONG time, so can't help with comparison. You can do a bit of research though into these things and make the comparison for yourself.

Deltiasgaming.com
    TamrielFoundry.com

Are some good sites you can check out.

As for DLC, even we do not know. Tamriel Unlimited is new and no DLC has been released yet. For sure new zones will be considered new DLC's, but we don't know about if new dungeons will be considered DLC or what.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
    Answer ✓
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For low levels wearing what you loot from mobs is plenty enough. If you want to spoil your toon you could find a crafter to male you a crafted set.. But you will grow out of it quite quickly ;)
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
    Answer ✓
  • firewatch
    firewatch
    ✭✭✭
    Are there any "bound" items?

Most items on Bind on Equip. Some items are Bind on Pickup.
    Answer ✓
  • firewatch
    firewatch
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you. I have one more question left:

Are there any "Starter Gear" in ESO? Like Heirlooms in WOW, for example.

Never played WOW so I don't know what Heirlooms are. There is minimal starter gear provided. You pretty much have to buy it, make it, steal it, or get it from drops.
    Answer ✓
  • Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm looking for a detailed guide that's made for beginners. Can anyone point a guide?

An accurate guide may be hard to find since everything changed at the beginning of this month. Skills changed, quests ch anged, stats changed, mechanics changed and the older material is no longer accurate. It is essentially a new game.
    Answer ✓
  • NightStrom
    Thank you. I have one more question left:

Are there any "Starter Gear" in ESO? Like Heirlooms in WOW, for example.
    Edited by NightStrom on March 31, 2015 10:17PM
  • NightStrom
    Are there any "bound" items?
  • NightStrom
    I'm looking for a detailed guide that's made for beginners. Can anyone point a guide?
  • NightStrom
    It's best to wait for an updated guide then.

Thank you everyone for your answers. This was indeed a warm welcome.
  • MentalMidget
    It's best to wait for an updated guide then.

Thank you everyone for your answers. This was indeed a warm welcome.

Deltiagaming
    he makes some great video guides check em out :)
    Edited by MentalMidget on April 1, 2015 2:30AM
  • NightStrom
    Indeed I will, have to sleep now but I heard the guy's name before, will check it again tomorrow. Again, thanks for the info.

Proud to be a part of this community.