The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How important are in-game Holiday events to the future of ESO?

Gidorick
Gidorick
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
As we approach the first anniversary of ESO I was reflecting on the fact that there haven't been any in-game holiday events. ZOS doesn't seem too interested in adding them and I just got to wondering, how important is it that ESO have in game holiday events in the future?

NOTE: By "Holiday Events" I mean Lore-Friendly holidays that follow the Tamriel Calendar. NOT Xmas or Arbor day or any "earth" holiday.

There have been PLENTY of posts on this subject so I won't bore everyone with the details. Just in case you have NO idea what I'm talking about here is one thread: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/141155/tamriel-holiday-festival-patch-hope-its-added-sooner-rather-than-later/p1

So, what do you think, how important is it that ZOS add Tamrielic Holiday events in-game? Please choose the answer that best reflects your feelings and feel free to add to your answer in the thread.
Edited by Gidorick on April 1, 2015 1:15AM
What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
That's right... Horse.
Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!

How important are in-game Holiday events to the future of ESO? 35 votes

Vital to the future of ESO
22%
Gidorickwenchmore420b14_ESOrayeab16_ESOAlarconteAnath_QLivvyLameoveRHayuru 8 votes
Important, but not necessary
34%
Celtic_WolfgrimsfieldWhiteCoatSyndromeLaurelinadElara_NorthwindFrondaleChuggernautLockhearteWinglonewolf26LeokratesLucyferLightbringer 12 votes
Inconsequential
25%
kevlarto_ESOAnnraEnodocVegarothJrocjamesharv2005ub17_ESOSidneyJKorrmichael_bimson 9 votes
Unimportant, would be an annoyance
14%
ArgoniawindIagoben_ESO5tengriMicallef 5 votes
Would be detrimental ESO
2%
Sinthrax 1 vote
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll start with my own thoughts. I really think, for ESO to have a future, Tamrielic holiday events MUST be added to ESO and they should be regional as appropriate.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Argoniawind
    Argoniawind
    ✭✭✭
    This has never been part of any Elder Scrolls games... It would not make sense to have it in there.. I'm not for it, it would make the game seem cheesy if not done right, its pretty bad when you got people all over the place posting kiddie memes of skyrim this and skyrim that from people that think that skyrim is the only game in the franchise.. I like my Elder Scrolls mature and cool and like it was before Skyrim became a cheesy household name!! That's my 2 septims!!!
    "Live Another Life In Another World"
  • Betahkiin
    Betahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can not find an option that identifies me here.

Personally I am against the incorporation of real-life holiday in a game of fantasy.

It is something that ruins the atmosphere of the game.

I do not like to see in TESO TU players on Santa Claus costumes or cities full of pumpkins with faces of terror, celebrations of Valentine's Day, Easter egg search, fools day, etc, etc ...

If there celebrations should be specific to the traditions of each race in Tamriel, which are related to the history of the game.

Any incorporated outside this would be detrimental to the game (in my opinion).

In similar way I see the case of mounts, companion pets and accessories.

Have to see in Tamriel motorcycles, torpedoes, helicopters, flying sleds, walking and singing flowers or whatever is distant to the aesthetics of the game would be unfavorable from my perspective.

If meet these requirements, I think it would be an interesting addition. Would give more life to the game world have events and festivals, it is also another way to grow in content enabling a form of more versatile game.

For all that my choice would be:

Vital, but within the theme of the game.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Important, but not necessary
    There are a couple in-game holidays that I would think would be easy enough to do...having all the in-game vendors halve their prices for Merchant's Day or mailing out a drink item to everyone who logged in on Harvest's End would be cool. Some of the ones we know about don't exist yet (Broken Diamonds, Tiber's Day) but Zeni could make some up too.

If nothing else we ought to be celebrating the anniversary of the faction leaders' ascents to their respective thrones. :) And I'd really like to see daedra-specific quests that can only be gotten on their Summoning Days, and maybe something similar for the Divines.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Hayuru
    Hayuru
    ✭✭
    This has never been part of any Elder Scrolls games... It would not make sense to have it in there.. I'm not for it, it would make the game seem cheesy if not done right, its pretty bad when you got people all over the place posting kiddie memes of skyrim this and skyrim that from people that think that skyrim is the only game in the franchise.. I like my Elder Scrolls mature and cool and like it was before Skyrim became a cheesy household name!! That's my 2 septims!!!
    Yes it has. Daggerfall had holiday events and Arena too I think.

This game will become boring without holiday events bringing us back into the game. I sometimes want to play games like WoW or even Runescape again because of the holiday events.
    Edited by Hayuru on April 1, 2015 12:50AM
  • Argoniawind
    Argoniawind
    ✭✭✭
    Hayuru wrote: »

This game will become boring without holiday events bringing us back into the game. I sometimes want to play games like WoW or even Runescape again because of the holiday events.

They do not have the holidays like you think to be more specific and the kind of holiday events you would be wanting since you are referring to mmos wow and etc would be horrible in the Elder Scrolls.. Since you like those kinds of games that have those kind of holidays, feel free to go and play those games... I feel strongly against any of this!!!

"Live Another Life In Another World"
  • Betahkiin
    Betahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hayuru wrote: »

It's funny how these same events you mention in my case made me go away ...

Same events, different people, different results.

This is something that ZOS has to deal every day, knowing what makes some users happy, make others unhappy.

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Betahkiin by "Tamrielic Holiday events" I meant Tamriel holidays. I'll make that clear in the OP. thanks. :wink:
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Inconsequential
    I think it wouldnt matter one way or the other to the lifetime of the game. Personally Id like to see them. Ive always enjoyed festivals in games. LOTRO for example has tons of them.