Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

GPU load goes 98-99% when minimizing game client

Belrim
Belrim
✭✭✭
Noticed this issue just now. Whenever i minimize the game window when playing in a window, or when alt-tabbing while in fullscreen, in both these cases the GPU load jumps to 98-99% from whatever it was while actually playing (usually 45-65%).

This is clearly a bug, most other games tend to throttle down cpu+gpu usage when the application window loses focus.

Might be OS+hardware issue too, cannot test out on other systems right now, im travelling with laptop that has Win 8.1 64bit + nVidia gt750m graphics.
Early bird gets the worm, but second mouse gets the cheese.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Odd.

As of yesterday I had done some PC upgrades, so I was keeping close attention to my usage and temps. My usage most definitely went down when I alt-tabbed out. Did you recently upgrade drivers?

windows 8.1 64bit - nvidia MSI GTX 770

I'll be watching closely again for the next few nights anyways so I'll let you know if I notice this as well.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • ZOS_GaryA
    ZOS_GaryA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there @Belrim,

This is an issue we're currently looking into. It usually occurs when the display mode is set to Fullscreen, and can be worked around by setting the game to Fullscreen (Windowed).
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • LameoveR
    LameoveR
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its only on D3D11 driver. On D3D9 gpu load is fine when minimized from fullscreen.
    ZOS_GaryA wrote: »
    and can be worked around by setting the game to Fullscreen (Windowed).
    It does not work, same 98-99% gpu load in Fullscreen(windowed) mode, even if game is minimized.
    Edited by LameoveR on March 30, 2015 8:13PM
  • AcootsGasm
    AcootsGasm
    Soul Shriven
    make sure the inside of your pc isnt dusty, i cleaned mine today because i had the same problem but during the loading screen after login and it fixed it a bit, im gonna get mine completely cleaned sometime this week though
  • LameoveR
    LameoveR
    ✭✭✭✭
    AcootsGasm wrote: »
    make sure the inside of your pc isnt dusty, i cleaned mine today because i had the same problem but during the loading screen after login and it fixed it a bit, im gonna get mine completely cleaned sometime this week though
    What a nonsense.
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    LameoveR wrote: »
    AcootsGasm wrote: »
    What a nonsense.

I agree. Heat doesnt cause your gpu load to go up. Just gets too hot till either it dies or (hopefully) you have your pc set to shut down if it hits a certain temp.
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I will say I have had problems with the game crashing if I am alt-tabbed out in full screen looking at a website. I dont know if its the gpu load causing it tho.
  • blackevil86
    blackevil86
    ✭✭
    Have 2 ASUS GTX 560 TI on SLi, playing in fullscreen. While in game, the GPU load is stable on both GPUs. But when I minimize the game the load on GPU1 lowers to normal, but the load on GPU2 goes up to 99% and I do feel the lags it causes. Maybe the alt+tab crashes are somehow related to the problem in question?

Tried many settings but the results were the same. Monitored with Afterburner.

By switching to single GPU, the problem persists...
  • LameoveR
    LameoveR
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only switching to D3D9 driver fixes it for me. When i minimize fullscren game, gpu load falls to 20-40%.
    But there is other problems with this driver.
  • CossackHD
    CossackHD
    ✭✭
    LameoveR wrote: »
    Only switching to D3D9 driver fixes it for me. When i minimize fullscren game, gpu load falls to 20-40%.
    But there is other problems with this driver.
    Thanks, gonna try that one.

Regardless which mode I use (Windowed Borderless or Fullscreen) I get 99% GPU usage when standing and doing nothing, or at less graphically intensive areas (character screen can use 99% too!), or when I alt+tab.

Changing graphics settings doesn't help at all. The GPU isn't bottleneck.
  • CossackHD
    CossackHD
    ✭✭
    Apparently, GPU load depends on resolution and FPS -> video bandwidth.

1920x1080 60 FPS -> 64% normal GPU load, 99-100% spikes. Same works for 48 FPS, but 100% loads are less persistent, but they still give me trouble.
    1366x768 60 FPS -> 42% normal GPU load, 84% spikes.

1920x1080 30 FPS -> 31% normal, 54% spikes.

All this data taken from character selection screen. Other parameters than subsampling, resolution and FPS don't affect the GPU load spikes (they might affect base load, but bandwidth spikes depend exclusively on 3D render resolution and FPS).

Another thing, first seconds after a location loads, GPU usage stays normal (64%), but after a while it goes up to 100%, without any visible changes on the screen (same FPS, same detalisation).

Same thing happens if I alt+tab from windows back to fullscreen game - GPU load rises gradually from normal to highest possible (for a given resolution*FPS) in a few seconds.
    Edited by CossackHD on August 22, 2015 1:05AM