Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

tired of F2P?

matoomba1369
Ya, we all know it is code for something else anyway. Got an mmorpg game coming out this year that is by PVPers for PVPers. It is called Camelot Unchained and It is our great white hope, lol. If you are old enough to remember that. I said nothing UNtrendy so this should be left alone. Lets keep our heads high for something real, folks.
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CU is simply the latest in the long line of "next greatest thing and <insert your currently hated game here> killer".

We've seen so many over the years, one I recall PVPers getting worked up into a frenzy about was called "Warhammer <somethingorother>" it failed, badly, as they generally do.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You mean the same way ESO was obviously going to be the saviour of the entire MMO genre and draw players away from every other game by being the one that finally did large-scale PvP right....right up until it launched and became another obvious disaster no one with a grain of sense would touch with a sharp stick? And after a few months it finally settled down to be another MMO with both good and bad points (depending on your personal taste) that people can choose to play or not play as suits them.

In other words exactly the same as every other MMO that's ever been released.

Seriously every time a game is coming out, or getting an expansion or even changing their business model every other games forums get a wave of topics either insisting everyone will/should leave for the new game or demanding to know what the devs are doing to counter the obviously inevitable drop in player numbers that will result from it. The answer is always 'nothing', it's released some people play it, some don't but on the whole life continues as normal with no noticeable impact.

Even when World of Warcraft was released it didn't have a noticeable impact on Ultima Online, Runescape, Everquest etc.
    Edited by Danikat on March 31, 2015 9:05AM
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    Even when World of Warcraft was released it didn't have a noticeable impact on Ultima Online, Runescape, Everquest etc.
    That is undeniably true, but then most of those who wax lyrical about those 1990s gorup-or-die games are the ones telling everyone one in ESO to 'group up' just to level.

WOW opened MMOs to the far wider audience who don't want forced-grouping simply to level and who are quite happy that group content is mainly for gearing: oh, and WOW's PVP didn't have the horrible death penalty of EQ which again is fine for the old-school but clearly rejected by the vast majority of gamers since the turn on the century.

Thus WOW's audience was never those of UO and EQ, I have to admit not knowing much about Runescape to know what game features that had and whether they were more like EQ/UO or WOW.
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Camelot unchained is just going to be another game in the long line of failed MMOs that were supposedly going to be the next "WOW KILLER". It says a lot that the only MMO to actually KEEP its sub in the past 5 years or so is FF14, and even then, it ended up basically being completely redone from the ground up to actually be successful, as the first version failed HARD AND it is from Square Enix, one of the biggest Game developers in the world.

Every other MMO went B2P or F2P. You can literally name the well-known, "Successful" MMO that have kept their subs on one hand. they are WOW, FF11 (which is itself actually about to stop being updated for good), FF14 ARR, and to some extent, EVE online and maybe one or two others.

Sorry, Camelot unchained is going to fall to B2P/F2P, just like the other "WOW killers" of ESO, SWTOR, etc.
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ya, we all know it is code for something else anyway. Got an mmorpg game coming out this year that is by PVPers for PVPers. It is called Camelot Unchained and It is our great white hope, lol. If you are old enough to remember that. I said nothing UNtrendy so this should be left alone. Lets keep our heads high for something real, folks.

I remember seeing this same type of post on the LOTRO forums about ESO. ESO was supposed to be a WoW killer.
  • PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember seeing this same type of post on the LOTRO forums about ESO. ESO was supposed to be a WoW killer.

same thing with SWTOR, was supposedly going to be such a great MMO that it would be a WOW Killer.

Now, thing is, there is no such thing as a WOW killer, it literally cannot happen. WOW is too big to die. Even as the playerbase is/was dieing, it had more players then most MMOs will EVER have even at their maximum playerbase.
  • ZOS_AlanG
    ZOS_AlanG
    admin
    This thread has been locked for being off topic. While it's fine to discuss ESO in comparison to other MMOs, we don't allow threads specifically to discuss or advertise other games.
    Forum Rules | Promoting Constructive Discussion | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Help Site

I’ve moved to a new position and I am no longer active on this forum. For assistance, please check the resources linked above
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.