Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is maintaining previous TES lore important to you?

GreySix
GreySix
✭✭✭✭✭
We know that ESO has bent/distorted/modified/changed/ignored certain aspects of previous TES lore, which has generated pages of discussion. So the question is this: Is maintenance of previous lore important to you, or do you not care one way or another?
Edited by GreySix on March 23, 2015 1:05AM
Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"

Is maintaining previous TES lore important to you? 105 votes

Yes, maintaining previous TES lore is very important to me
79%
ImryllIagoGidorickGilvothObscuretheschmids_ESOGalenSythiasdjnapstyb14_ESOSentinelMercyKillingKevinmonLadyNerevarBigMNutronicOsteosRDMyers65b14_ESOPoisonedPaintWhiteCoatSyndromeDrOrpheus 83 votes
No, lore is more of a loose guideline, and this MMO should feel free to change or ignore previous TES lore.
10%
KalfisPsychobunniKnootewootRivan12AdramelachNyghthowlerHuxley12345Theosisphairdonluciole78linoge63 11 votes
Lore is a little important to me, but I mostly don't pay much attention to it.
4%
lordspyderdeepseamk20b14_ESOberlinsquirrelb16_ESOaltmer_mageub17_ESOMicallef 5 votes
Lore shmoor! I just want cool stuff and do whatever I want in this MMO.
5%
NekOnOkOYolokin_Swagonbornpatrykplawskib16_ESOKng_AyumayumaAssaultLemmingLEGENDARYYY 6 votes
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I said yes because I love previous lore, but this game is set before Arena - Skyrim. Little was known about the second era which is why they put it there.

As long as they keep to the important things like Dwemer being gone, the dragons were all mostly dead, things like that then I can't see a huge problem.
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a touchy subject. Which lore, by whose standard? I suspect that most people aren't going to care. At the moment I don't care. Tomorrow, however is likely another story.
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JD2013 wrote: »
    I said yes because I love previous lore, but this game is set before Arena - Skyrim. Little was known about the second era which is why they put it there.

That's a good point, and it explains one thing: By the time of Skyrim, the only thing players know about Molag Bol is his underground ruin of an alter and the mace you can win. His power has obviously been greatly diminished.

As to what it could open up, who's to say what Dwemer constructs might have been available in that time period: Perhaps we'll see unearthed Dwemer airships?
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"
  • theweakminded
    theweakminded
    ✭✭✭
    This poll is missing a vital option "No. Players do not choose what is and is not canon." This game is based before the time of other games. None of that matters in this, the only argument that can be made is "this wasn't in history, what gives?" But for that, I refer you to my missing option.
  • linoge63
    linoge63
    ✭✭✭
    No, lore is more of a loose guideline, and this MMO should feel free to change or ignore previous TES lore.
    I chose option 2, to make room to add to what was created, not ignore or abandon it.

I played Skyrim for endless hours to the extent that when i returned to eso, and realized i was in the new Riften, I immediately felt and reconnected with the personalities and atmosphere of Riften of the past.

I would think that the Devs have an open sky to avenues of change and upgrades without losing the atmosphere that was and is part of this game's success.
    Edited by linoge63 on March 23, 2015 2:08AM
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Half the time we can't even agree what belongs in the lore. :)

Lore is the backbone of ESO and needs to be preserved. However, this is still a video game first and foremost, subject to many technical or financial constraints. Omissions and modifications are unavoidable. As long as they don't touch the fundamentals of the setting, it's okay. I gladly welcome new information building up on existing lore, showing it in a different light or filling blank pages.
  • NadiusMaximus
    NadiusMaximus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they add drewemers I'm out.

When games start changing Cannon, other stuff gets messed up also... And previous written stories based latter no longer make sense.

Edited by NadiusMaximus on March 23, 2015 2:22AM
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lore should influence every aspect of this game. The only... let me emphasize that... the ONLY reason I'm playing ESO is because it is an Elder Scrolls game.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lore should shape the game, but the company should have final say in terms of what is acceptable for the lore relative to the game's time period. This extends from things a major as plot devices to things as minor as fashion decisions.
    Since the company apparently has a division that is meant to expressly handle lore decisions, their decisions supercede the perceptions of players.
    If the company says something is lore friendly and decides to implement it, then it is lore friendly
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • LtCrunch
    LtCrunch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To a point it's important but every TES release has changed lore to suit it's goals and I don't think ESO should be held to a higher standard. Since there is no applicable response in the poll for me I won't cast a vote.
    NerdSauce Gaming
    Laughs-At-Wounds - Sap tanking since 03/30/14
    ßrandalf - Light armor tanking since 03/03/15
    Brandalf Beer-Belly - Tanking drunk since 12/30/16

• Imryll
    Imryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most TES lore is as accurate as its source--and may be subject to reassessment. Lore is hugely important to me, but I view it as fluid. Lore that believably changes as a result of new scholarship or insight can add depth to the world. Adding recipes for tacos, not so much.
  • Panda244
    Panda244
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    Lore should influence every aspect of this game. The only... let me emphasize that... the ONLY reason I'm playing ESO is because it is an Elder Scrolls game.
    And PvP.
    Edited by Panda244 on March 23, 2015 3:40AM
    Aldmeri Dominion For Life!
    Crassus Licinius II - DK - V14 - Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade NA (The Dragonknight that refuses to go Vampire.)
    N'tel Arlena - NB - V14 - Retired Sap Tank of Haderus NA, Harasser of Many (Also, not a vampire. Goes by nickname Nutella.)

#FreeZazeer
    #FreeGooey
    #FreeAsgari
    #FreeAoE
    #FreeSubtomik
    #FreeMBF

Officially Resigned From Cyrodiil As Of 4/15/15 10:24 PM EST.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Samadhi wrote: »
    Lore should shape the game, but the company should have final say in terms of what is acceptable for the lore relative to the game's time period. This extends from things a major as plot devices to things as minor as fashion decisions.
    Since the company apparently has a division that is meant to expressly handle lore decisions, their decisions supercede the perceptions of players.
    If the company says something is lore friendly and decides to implement it, then it is lore friendly

You know @Samadhi , I agree. Things like the fire horse are a good example of how ZOS can MAKE something lore friendly, but they are not. There is no explanation of why people are running out on fire horses. They just are. If there were a quest... or some sort of rationalization for it, I would be more accepting of the fire horse. As is... every time I see the fire horse it just makes me feel like ESO has 'sold out'. :neutral:
    Edited by Gidorick on March 23, 2015 3:41AM
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • LadyNerevar
    LadyNerevar
    ✭✭✭
    I voted yes.

But that doesn't mean that ESO can't elaborate on the lore, or add its own lore. Lore isn't static, and in a universe like TES, it's not singular, either. It's more a set of themes and ideas than it is a trivia factsheet that must be abided.
    Librarian at the Imperial Library
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    Samadhi wrote: »

You know @Samadhi , I agree. Things like the fire horse are a good example of how ZOS can MAKE something lore friendly, but they are not. There is no explanation of why people are running out on fire horses. They just are. If there were a quest... or some sort of rationalization for it, I would be more accepting of the fire horse. As is... every time I see the fire horse it just makes me feel like ESO has 'sold out'. :neutral:

For mounts in general, have personally already had to suspend my disbelief and come to terms with every character in game having the capabilities of conjuration to summon their mounts from thin air.
    With that framework, the flaming horses were actually a very small stretch for me.
    More of an effort to provide them with a concrete place in the game universe would increase the appeal of it though.

Still think it is kind of an ugly mount compared to something like the Guar or the Senche; however, actually accepting their presence has not been difficult for me individually.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • CitraBenzoet_ESO
    CitraBenzoet_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    You really hate those wedding dresses
    DC- Sir Citra Benzoet v15
    The Psijic Order - 0.016%
    LoM
    UESP
    IBOB
    Mara's Moxie
  • Psychobunni
    Psychobunni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't need things to be exact or have a reason to be in the game as long as they fit. Fit is key. I will be all about the lore if it prevents flying mounts and other cartoony, stupid things a certain other game has. However, one look at the costume shop and we are already headed there :(
    Edited by Psychobunni on March 23, 2015 4:29AM
    If options weren't necessary, and everyone played the same way, no one would use addons. Fix the UI!

• Folkb
    Folkb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it is.
  • Folkb
    Folkb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GreySix wrote: »
    JD2013 wrote: »

That's a good point, and it explains one thing: By the time of Skyrim, the only thing players know about Molag Bol is his underground ruin of an alter and the mace you can win. His power has obviously been greatly diminished.

As to what it could open up, who's to say what Dwemer constructs might have been available in that time period: Perhaps we'll see unearthed Dwemer airships?

Also that mace sucked because ti took up the whole screen ;p
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dont change the lore, it will ruin elder scrolls series.
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This.
    /thread
  • theweakminded
    theweakminded
    ✭✭✭

Question is, what exactly has changed? Is it mechanics or actual lore?
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The time frame for this game precedes the previous games, so the lore of this game cannot interfere with the established lore of the future (past) games.
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • AssaultLemming
    AssaultLemming
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lore shmoor! I just want cool stuff and do whatever I want in this MMO.
    I don't care about lore at all, I'm all about gameplay and mechanics and overall feel of the game. I would be pretty happy if they broke the existing lore to introduce dragons for instance because dragons are awesome and more awesome is better.
  • b92303008rwb17_ESO
    b92303008rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would people play this game if it was not based on TES?
  • Streega
    Streega
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By all means, lore is very important for me, but...
    1. This is an MMO and you can't force all people to do what you want;
    2. At first I was so dissapointed by hordes of Shadowmere clones running around, but then I thought: maybe during the second era there was a tonn of daedric horses and then they dissapeared for some reason, and Shadowmere is just the last one? We don't know all the lore.
    3. This is an MMO. People are crazy. Move along.
    ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃ Don't-Care-Bear ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃
    PC EU "House Tertia" - Friendly Guild for Mature Folks (housetertia.com)
    PC EU "Priests of Hircine" - Awesome Guild for Friendly Werewolves (free bites!)
    Member of "Guild Masters United"
    Master Angler
  • Obscure
    Obscure
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I make a movie about King Kong, and I market it as King Kong, people will expect King Kong.

If the movie is actually about a time traveling mutant cyborg from the future, instead of a huge oversized gorilla, I would expect to see some fall out among the long standing King Kong fan base.

When they get the lore wrong it's like hearing someone say "Jedi Mind Meld", or call Link effin' Zelda.

...hearing or seeing someone getting the lore wrong feels like my brain just got kicked in its balls...
  • Panda244
    Panda244
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lore is the game. As much as the game is the lore.

Anyone who says otherwise doesn't play video games for the story or is simply too young to give a flying ***.
    Aldmeri Dominion For Life!
    Crassus Licinius II - DK - V14 - Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade NA (The Dragonknight that refuses to go Vampire.)
    N'tel Arlena - NB - V14 - Retired Sap Tank of Haderus NA, Harasser of Many (Also, not a vampire. Goes by nickname Nutella.)

#FreeZazeer
    #FreeGooey
    #FreeAsgari
    #FreeAoE
    #FreeSubtomik
    #FreeMBF

Officially Resigned From Cyrodiil As Of 4/15/15 10:24 PM EST.
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Of course lore is important. And if there is a conflict in the lore between games such as no one remembering a certain event occurring, it is easily corrected in TES lore by use of a Dragon Break. May explain why the result of the Three Banners War isn't known. As for the Nightmare Courser, it does mention Mehrunes Dagon in the description so I think we can call it lore friendly.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50