Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PTS is now offline for the patch 10.0.0 maintenance and is currently unavailable.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Please don't change the intro

sean.plackerb14_ESO
sean.plackerb14_ESO
✭✭✭✭
This is just a recommendation, but I and it seems many others agree that the old intro video was much better. It actually did a great job of explaining whats going on in the story. Showing you getting killed by Mannimarco, and your soul being taken, and giving context to why you are in the cell in Coldharbour. I also think its better that the old intro is actually in engine footage instead of pre rendered. The new video is nice, but its not good for a intro. I would suggest having this new video play the first time you launch the game before the log in screen, and keep the old intro in its same spot.

Just my opinion and suggestion.

Here is some more feedback on the new intro: reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/2yxd5q/media_elder_scrolls_online_tamriel_unlimited_game/

Edited by sean.plackerb14_ESO on March 15, 2015 10:23AM
@sean8102 - Carlore - Daggerfall Covenant
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was another thread about this where more people were saying the same (some were against keeping the old as well).

However we're only two days away from 2.0 and if experience is anything to go buy ZOS don't change their minds with things like this. The starter Island change still bugs me to this day, as with the broken VO when they had to have Jim Cummings record new lines for the Profit.

Sad to see the old one go, I will be linking that video to all my friends saying "watch this before you play" I don't like seeing a mash-up of a video which new players most likely already saw and adds nothing to the games/your characters story as the main intro. :(
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Brasseurfb16_ESO
    Brasseurfb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just went on PTS to check that new intro, and I confirm what was said above... It is an insult to the people that actualy worked on the previous one...
  • Pendrillion
    Pendrillion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Keep the old Intro. Its much more Immersing than the Bad ass stuff...
  • Kragorn
    Kragorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems even intro videos aren't safe from ZOS' nerfbat, but the loss of this is cretinous, you now have no idea how you came to be where you are and in the state you're in .. when you come to see the CS in the first Main Story instance where the 5 Companions enter, the part where the Prophet says of Mannimarco ".. and your executioner" it totally meaningless.

Why ZOS, why? This is beyond ridiculous.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The voice change bothers me. You can instantly tell the difference between old and new lines. Also, it puts emphasis on the alliance war while the old intro set a background for our personal story in Coldharbor.

I prefer the old intro not only because it's more personal and connected to the events that immediately follow, but also because when the Prophet says "It is the 582 year of the Second Era", I'm instantly taken back to Oblivion's intro. The same style, similar music, a plane of Oblivion? I'm home. The new intro shows Mannimarco's face and cinematic Cyrodiil, but they don't feel familiar. That's just my opinion, anyway. I'm sure not everyone reacted this way.
  • theroyalestpythonnub18_ESO
    I haven't seen anyone here or on reddit that thinks anything good can come out of changing the cinematic intro. The new intro just leaves the viewer with a sense of bewilderment, and anyone who's seen these trailers before will know that it's something that could've been put together in windows maker.

I really do hope that incoming T:U players will be directed to the old cinematic. Little changes like this and optional starter island cause a schism between new players the story that's trying to be told.

Our arrival in Coldharbour is supposed to be violent and traumatic right? With the new introduction, it gives the impression that we just woke up in Coldharbour with amnesia or something. (Unless the player character's story is being retconned and we're supposed to identify with the nord?)

It greatly diminishes the personal stake we're have in the Main Quest. It really is a lot to sacrifice for a flashier opening.
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's ironic that the new intro puts such a strong emphasis on the Alliance War, the part of the game that is not working properly, even by official admission from Paul Sage, and that may actually never work as intended and advertised.
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The "new" video looks very bad imo. It looks like someone hastily put together extracts of the longer promotional video to match them with the recording of the Prophet. The scale of the fights displayed is laughable when compared to the current concerns about performance in Cyrodiil.

The "old" one was showing real game footage and that was much better in my opinion.
    Wololo.
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    True. The new one is really awful.
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just found out that there will be a new intro :/ My opinion agrees with the above posters. Please keep the old intro video. It does a good job of explaining that your soul is lost and why you wake up in Coldharbour
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • byrom101b16_ESO
    byrom101b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a crass attempt to appeal to console players who don't typically give a rat's ass about story in comparison to action. Console players have a younger and less loyal demographic.

It's also a costly illustration, as if we needed one, of why they made such massive PvP-bias changes to classes and upset so many people PvE orientated players already in-game.

Additionally, and hillariously so, is the fact that PvP isn't close to being ready for the influx of mayfly-attention-span players who will jump into it, and who, by nature, don't have any patience when it comes to bugs etc.

After the failure of 2.1 to deal with many of therelevant issues - broken abilities, bugs etc. the odds point towards a pile of steaming fail on this one...
  • wookiefriseur
    wookiefriseur
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, had a look at the new one too. The old intro fit very nicely into the story, the new one is just random footage.
  • Locke_ESO
    Locke_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I guess they wanted some more mileage out of the multi-million dollar price tag they must have payed to Blur animation studios for the creation of their video.

While I think the original intro was lackluster and there was a need to improve it (mainly the intro) this one seems just as bad but in a different way.
    Edited by Locke_ESO on March 17, 2015 4:47AM