Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ZOS please have mercy on us. (The bots are back... well sort of anyway)

• Alphashado
    Alphashado
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The crux of the problem is that ESO offers very limited ways to earn XP compared to most MMOs. At first glance it seems like there are tons of ways to gain xp, but when you compare it to other AAA MMOs, ESO is severely lacking in viable options.

Let's use WoW just as an example. In wow and most other MMOs, you can get great xp from 4 different sources:

1. Quests
    2. Pvp
    3.Group Dungeons
    4. Grinding

In ESO, Group Dungeons are terrible xp. After you get the initial completion, there is literally no reason to repeat them as a viable way to level up. Even the undaunted pledge dailys only give you 11k xp, and you can get that questing or grinding in a fraction of the time invested. Seriously, you can get 11k xp by pulling 3-5 mobs in Craglorn for a total of 5 mins. Yet 11k is the turn in reward for doing a dungeon that took you 20 mins to an hour? Plus the daily is just that - a daily. We won't even mention the xp you get for doing a dungeon w/o the pledge turn in, because it's so minimal that it's not even worth mentioning.

ESO pvp is also terrible xp unless you are in a perfectly tuned Zerg ball that's dominating everything. And even then it's very sub par compared to PVE.

So that leaves ESO with only two viable options:

1. Map objectives/quests ( these only count as one because you must do both in order to reach V14 w/o grinding).
    2. Grinding.

Now you couple that with endless nerfs to grinding and you have the current situation.

It's really this simple:
    1. Massively increase dungeon xp
    2. Massively increase Cyrodiil xp

I would be amiss if I didn't mention Craglorn as well. Locking 4 million mandatory XP behind group-only content is basically forcing people to grind.

At the very least, zos needs to understand that options are good. And right now, there aren't many realistic options.
    Edited by Alphashado on March 2, 2015 5:53PM
  • Dymence
    Dymence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EsORising wrote: »
    Iago wrote: »
    Khaldar wrote: »
    As a "grinder," I don't want to do the same quests over and over again for my alts. Questing is slooooooow. I can grind my alt to 50 in a very quick efficient fashion. The real grind in this game is QUESTING (especially on alts) more so at Vet levels. Once Zos forces us to grind quests I will be gone again. If I would have realized at launch that I could have grinded efficiently at V1 versus doing Cadwells, I wouldn't have left for 6 months.

I get that and honestly ZOS should give grinders a place to grind then everyone wins

You mean like Craglorn?

...oh wait.

Not everyone can grind by themselves and not everyone wants to have to group with someone.

It's really not hard to grind craglorn on your own, people should just take the time to learn how to do it by themselves. A lot of the people that grinded their first toons to vr14 are already extremely lacking in terms of game experience and knowledge about mechanics.
  • Khaldar
    Khaldar
    ✭✭✭
    NotSo wrote: »
    Well to fix everybody not wanting to do any sort of questing just to level up, ZOS could just greatly reduce required XP per level so you could just blaze through main quest lines and blast up the levels while not changing the rate we currently can earn CP. Then all side quests would truly be side quests, and you'd only do them for the awards they grant (some xp towards CP is a given).

That isn't what it is for me. Grinding gives me a solid flow of money, xp, crafting XP and something to do while I am watching Netflix. Decreasing the XP earned per level will cause me to be VR14 and farming lower areas to earn money and level crafting. That would be even worse for non-grinders because when I tap a mob they wouldn't get XP.

The solution is give PvP XP and Dungeon XP a boost. And a boost to quest XP for a player with a One playthrough. That will reroute some of the grinders.

Nerfing things that aren't broken is always the wrong way imho.
    Edited by Khaldar on March 1, 2015 2:55PM
  • YourNameHere
    YourNameHere
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy the game questing and taking my time. People can grind all they want, I could care less.

Now there is a difference if you ask them nicely to maybe join them because you are trying to get a quest done, and they ignore you or tell you to screw off, and continue to bar your enjoyment of the game.

I have not ran into this 'problem' yet on the AD, and I'm still in Auridon.
    NA Megaserver / RPer
    Alinyssa Gaethar - AD || Raahni-do - AD || Wind-In-Tree's-Shadow - DC
  • ShadowDisciple
    ShadowDisciple
    ✭✭✭✭
    So far i havent had any problen like this. It takes 1 hit to proc your quest so idk whats the matter.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tankqull wrote: »
    Iago wrote: »
    Tankqull wrote: »
    Just get out of lowbie zones.. Less people to ruin your day in vet zones.

till patch 1.6... as allready stated if i get 4x the xp for killing a vet 6 mob than for killing a mob in craglorn i´m happily destroying questers precious gameplay. cya in your beloved lvl area...

I completely understand why grinders grind and I also know grinders will grind regardless, so ZOS really really needs to put some grinding areas in.

they were in - questers demanded nerf upon nerf upon nerf. and now you have to live with what "you" claimed for.
    No, they weren't. Every "grinding area" that has been in the game has not been intended for grinding. Every one of them has actually been either a questing area, or a dungeon (which are themselves a type of questing area, as they've each got associated quests). There should be actual grinding areas that don't have any content aside from the mobs, and maybe a book or note that you can pick up to explain why the mobs are there.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Ashigaru
    Ashigaru
    ✭✭✭✭
    [/quote]

Would love to see someone not treat the game as a race to max level so that we can all have nice things.

But last I checked, grinders have been whining on these very forums about how their XP gain has been slowed so much that they might as well be questing. I guess they're not in on the secret, but I really don't care about that. What I dislike about that "community" is that grinders have repeatedly shown that they will find and use every exploit they can in order to maximize XP gain. It fosters a bad sense of gameplay.[/quote]

since release grinding is almost non existent, ust to be the best way to level and now its crud. Personally i hate questing and i always have, its ok from time to time but i do not want to be forced to quest and aa lot of others feel the same.
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ashigaru wrote: »

Would love to see someone not treat the game as a race to max level so that we can all have nice things.

But last I checked, grinders have been whining on these very forums about how their XP gain has been slowed so much that they might as well be questing. I guess they're not in on the secret, but I really don't care about that. What I dislike about that "community" is that grinders have repeatedly shown that they will find and use every exploit they can in order to maximize XP gain. It fosters a bad sense of gameplay.[/quote]

since release grinding is almost non existent, ust to be the best way to level and now its crud. Personally i hate questing and i always have, its ok from time to time but i do not want to be forced to quest and aa lot of others feel the same.[/quote]

Exactly and thats why there should be grinding spots for the grinders because they will grind wherever they can.
    That which we obtain to cheap we esteem to lightly, it is dearness only that gives everything its value.

-Thomas Pain

• Panda244
    Panda244
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a simple solution to this, three simple solutions actually.
    1. Reinstate grinding locations. (Repeatedly killing NPCs to gain experience is not an exploit and never has been.)
    2. Make PvP XP worthwhile. (XP gain in Cyrodiil has always been crap, through quests and actual PvP.)
    3. Make Dungeon XP worthwhile. (XP in dungeons has always been crap.)
    Problem solved. Anyone that says Grinding is an exploit or a cheat, has never played an MMO before, it's as simple as that, it's always been a viable option in every MMO ever. Quests for questers, mobs to grind for grinders, PvP for PvPers.
    Aldmeri Dominion For Life!
    Crassus Licinius II - DK - V14 - Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade NA (The Dragonknight that refuses to go Vampire.)
    N'tel Arlena - NB - V14 - Retired Sap Tank of Haderus NA, Harasser of Many (Also, not a vampire. Goes by nickname Nutella.)

#FreeZazeer
    #FreeGooey
    #FreeAsgari
    #FreeAoE
    #FreeSubtomik
    #FreeMBF

Officially Resigned From Cyrodiil As Of 4/15/15 10:24 PM EST.
  • Panda244
    Panda244
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Reinstate grinding locations. (Repeatedly killing NPCs to gain experience is not an exploit and never has been.)
    2. Make PvP XP worthwhile. (XP gain in Cyrodiil has always been crap, through quests and actual PvP.)
    Problem solved. Anyone that says Grinding is an exploit or a cheat, has never played an MMO before, it's as simple as that, it's always been a viable option in every MMO ever. Quests for questers, mobs to grind for grinders, PvP for PvPers.
    Aldmeri Dominion For Life!
    Crassus Licinius II - DK - V14 - Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade NA (The Dragonknight that refuses to go Vampire.)
    N'tel Arlena - NB - V14 - Retired Sap Tank of Haderus NA, Harasser of Many (Also, not a vampire. Goes by nickname Nutella.)

#FreeZazeer
    #FreeGooey
    #FreeAsgari
    #FreeAoE
    #FreeSubtomik
    #FreeMBF

Officially Resigned From Cyrodiil As Of 4/15/15 10:24 PM EST.
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Panda244 wrote: »

Exactly Hopefully ZOS will re institute some grinding locations
    That which we obtain to cheap we esteem to lightly, it is dearness only that gives everything its value.

-Thomas Pain

• nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Panda244 wrote: »

No one is claiming that grinding is, in and of itself, an exploit. But players who grind in this game have repeatedly used exploits in order to gain experience faster.

And there are still plenty of grinding locations, but the issue is that people who grind still want to be getting more XP than they could through any other method. I'm sure that you could still do the loop in Elinhir (or any of the other Craglorn grinds) for XP, but it won't come out to such insanely high amounts of XP. And that's the issue that people are having.

Of course grinding should be a viable way to get XP (and it is). But there's no reason that it should be the single most effective way to get XP, head and shoulders above any other method.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    come on zos reinstate grinding areas so we can have our pve areas back

-Thomas Pain

• Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry but I don't see any good reason for vets to be in starter zones clearing out everything over and over. If they need ghosts, crabs or whatever for achievements there are plenty at higher levels, even vet zones. I have a v14 that I need to get things for on achievements but I don't go into the lower levels to do so. Sure I could but that isn't fair to the new characters in those areas. If I go to dolmens I heal other players so they can fight the drops. Sure I could clear out the dolmens easy by myself but again I try to consider the other players. There is a way to get what I need for dolmen achievements and also help other players and allow them to experience the game.
  • Aeeeek
    Aeeeek
    ✭✭
    If they are grinding zombies, they may not be after XP at all. Zombies are the best way to get worms for fishing. So much harder to get than the other baits.
  • Minack
    Minack
    ✭✭✭
    Cody wrote: »
    Lionxoft wrote: »
    You can still grind. You just can't level faster than everyone else by exploiting specific grind spots or bugs.

Pffffahahhahahahahahahahahhaahahhaa (Breathes in)hahahahahhahahahahah!

Grinding is still ultimately the best way to accrue xp. Compared to questing it's night and day difference. You can get from lv1->VR14 in just 3 days strictly grinding even in our current game update. Would love to see a quester accomplish that.

Race to max level? The game has been out for nearly a year. I am sorry it doesn't, take everyone 10 months to play through the content. But then again I guess those that reached max level 4 months after release were probably just racing to max too right? A large portion of the people grinding now and those making the loudest complaints are those that have played through the content once and are trying to level up 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th etc characters to participate in trials, vet dungeons, DSA and PVP.

@Iago I understand your frustration. I hate that I have to take my 6th re-roll back through the core content and grind mobs there. Unfortunately ZOS decided to decimate XP for dungeons, world bosses and dolmen as well as completely wipe out alternate leveling in Craglorn burial sites, the tower, anomalies and the upper Craglorn loop. Instead of fixing the 2 boss glitches they gutted the entire thing so we are now making due with what we have. Give us back our grind island and we will happily return there to fill that vast unpopulated wasteland to do what we do.

there were people who reached VR10 in the first 2-3 weeks.... lol.

i know its irrelevant, but your post reminded me of that.... i think they exploited some kind of spindleclutch glitch or something to do it.

Man those were dark days....

One of the Cyrodiil dailies had no cooldown. I think it was the kill 10 players quest. So, things got out of hand fast.

That one quest, while beautifully efficient for xp, wasn't the real xp fountain. There were a couple of dungeons that had instaspawning boss mobs that you could farm for hours and get really nice xp.
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seravi wrote: »
    Sorry but I don't see any good reason for vets to be in starter zones clearing out everything over and over. If they need ghosts, crabs or whatever for achievements there are plenty at higher levels, even vet zones. I have a v14 that I need to get things for on achievements but I don't go into the lower levels to do so. Sure I could but that isn't fair to the new characters in those areas. If I go to dolmens I heal other players so they can fight the drops. Sure I could clear out the dolmens easy by myself but again I try to consider the other players. There is a way to get what I need for dolmen achievements and also help other players and allow them to experience the game.

I hope that some grind spots get put in to alleviate the problem.

-Thomas Pain

• felinith66
    felinith66
    ✭✭✭
    NotSo wrote: »
    Grinders should be given just one incredibly huge and obnoxious boss that throws tons of insta-kill aoes and will take hours to kill but will award tons of xp, then immediately come back to life (not respawn, just stand back up) and insta-kill everything in vicinity. Does not award any items or gear. All your equipments durability is set to 0 when you kill boss. OK maybe not take hours to kill but it should definitely be a long fight.

Boss will never use direct attacks, only back to back aoe abilities.
    Boss has high armor and spell resist so attackers will be keen to keep active debuffs.
    Boss will use a flurry of unblockable, oddly shaped aoes that cause insta-death to keep pugs moving and active, using movement bonus abilities would not be a bad idea.
    Boss's aoes are not specific to Boss's position but rather the entire area around Boss.
    Boss is prone to all negative affects except CC.
    Boss keeps his ground with his back to a wall so all of his attackers face his front, in the action. OR Boss will have a massive aoe that fires off behind him making the Boss's rear a bad place to be.
    Boss will also have a massive aoe to cover the ground at a specific range and outward to keep players within other aoe ranges, and also to keep nonparticipants away.
    Boss grants full XP on death to all fight participants, regardless of the amount of help any player has commited.
    Boss will heal itself for x% of max health whenever it kills a player. Higher % heal with lower health.
    Boss will throw out aoe attacks faster based on health remaining.
    Boss health will reset if Boss has not taken weapon/spell damage for 10 seconds.
    Boss wanders around aimlessly in Cyrodiil while not being attacked.
    Boss is prone to siege damage (but you're going to have to have a very large standoff distance to not get killed).
    Boss's name is Boss

Totally cool to kill Boss without taking any damage at all, just gotta dodge those aoes.

Sorry I kept adding to it. I thought the idea was fun :P

I spilled my drink reading this part.
  • Keepercraft
    Keepercraft
    ✭✭✭
    bots, bots kill them all.
    We need a PK system. :D
    Still waiting for Sithis.
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bots, bots kill them all.
    We need a PK system. :D

I knoe they aren't boys but they are jsust as much of a nuisance

-Thomas Pain

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aeeeek wrote: »
    If they are grinding zombies, they may not be after XP at all. Zombies are the best way to get worms for fishing. So much harder to get than the other baits.

I get so many worms from alchemy harvesting, it's not even funny.
  • Keepercraft
    Keepercraft
    ✭✭✭
    Good option will be.
    If you grind to long in one spot, you will get less exp from that mobs on that spot.

That will be linked to mobs type.
    Still waiting for Sithis.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no. grinding is *** rediculous and stupid. I dont want to have to grind my ass off for champion points because its the best alternative

You´re going to have a bad time. Grinding is still the best xp gain in the game - by a wide margin.
    The only way ZOS is ever going to get rid of that is by reducing the xp of mob kills across the board. Only problem is they stated killing mobs (aka grinding) is one of the ways for v14 chars with all quests completed to gain cps.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50