Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

New player requesting help

AlbireoNox
Hi everyone!,

I started playing a week ago, in the EP faction. And I'm having a problem deciding what to play.. I leveled a NB and Sorc to 10 each. And both are really fun!, but I feel 'gimped' in damage with NB at this low levels, my Sorc is hitting for way more right now. So I'm not sure what to play :(

Somehow the NB seems like an all or nothing thing in pvp, with the teleport skill that is targeted, but Sorc seems more mobile I guess with bolt escape. Thing is, while I enjoy Crystal fragments and the lightning skill, I hate the summoning tree. As for NB it seems fun!

1) So I would love to hear your opinions on each class, both for pve and pvp! maybe it would help me decide which to main, or even roll a different one! ..

2) I've heard that in 1.6 racial passives will matter way more, so the question is, what races for NB? and for DK? Sorc I would asume it's Altmer. (I have access to the Imperial race aswell , but not sure if it's good, or it's better to go khajiit or bosmer for dps)

In case it matters, I would like to play as a vampire or werewolf, mostly vampire for rp reasons :smile:

I'm mostly a solo player btw

Thanks! :smiley:

Nox
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My two characters are a templar and a dragonknight (mainly templar) so I'll leave it to others to voice their pros and cons about the nightblade and sorcerer. I will suggest though that if your nightblade is feeling decidedly weaker than your sorcerer it might be due to their equipment. In the low levels using a weapon that is close to your character's level can make quite a difference early on. Also boosting your stamina and/or magicka with even some simply glyphs from an NPC can help too, a most all skill damage is contributed to by one or the other.

I've played with (and against) both sorcerers and nightblades. And I think it's safe to say that it really is the individual that makes the class great, not the other way around. This is doubly so for ESO due to it's combat mechanic, which is a good thing. Of course, if you enjoy them both there's absolutely no reason why you have to choose; play them both!

In relation to racial passives, they will play more of a part in 1.6, but that doesn't make them all that important still. Many people on the forum and otherwise have completely blown their importance out of proportion. Add to that the suggestion that the developers will be looking (but not necessarily changing) racial passives at some point. So play a race you want to play, not what's you think is the 'best'.
    Edited by Rev Rielle on February 23, 2015 8:59PM
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlbireoNox wrote: »

Somehow the NB seems like an all or nothing thing in pvp, with the teleport skill that is targeted, but Sorc seems more mobile I guess with bolt escape. Thing is, while I enjoy Crystal fragments and the lightning skill, I hate the summoning tree. As for NB it seems fun!

I have a character in the VR Ranks for each class. My NB was the weakest until I made sure a few things were in place. First, they need Medium Armor, the passives just help out too much for the typical playstyle. Also, Dual Wield is a good main weapon skill for the NB, more so than the Bow or 2H or even 1H/S. Not that you can't use those other weapons, it's just the DW meshes too well with the NB skills and passives.

I also noticed my damage being done went way up when I took them to Stamina from Magicka. Note I play a Breton, so they have decent mana without buffs. So, I have currently all my Attributes into Health, and use Glyphs for Stamina on my gear. I still have enough magic for the skills that need it, so no worries there.

My second weapon is the Destro Staff, but that is for trash mobs in dungeons.

If you can, make a set of 5 piece Ashen Grip gear (if not Hundings Rage) and 4 piece Torugs Pact (DW allows for the 9th item) and you will see things differently on your NB.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    v14 NB and v14 Sorc here.

Sorc is by far my favorite class to play because I tend to lean towards a ranged caster playstyle. NB is great if you like to get into the action say with DW or 2H. That being said you could go magicka NB with Destro staff as @Nestor mentioned.

Note that Sorc is a very aggressive leveling class (i.e. 1-50) is a breeze (most of the game actually) where as a NB doesn't start to become aggressive until vet levels although NB will top out at a higher average dps and probably has more utility for a raid going into 1.6.

On races:
    Sorc: Altmer, Breton, Dunmer
    DK: Dunmer almost always for increased fire damage (DKs do almost all fire damage), Altmer, Breton for damage - Imperial, Redguard for tank
    NB: Khajit mostly, but imperial and wood elf as well.

On PvP:
    Sorc is a very mobile class and has some tanking abilities that work well. Negate got nerfed and that was the best skill in PvP basically. I get bored playing my sorc in PvP. Almost all of the skills get reflected back so no Bueno.

NB is a ton of fun in PvP if you grab a bow and DW or 2H. Venom Arrow/Lethal Arrow spam is strong and keeps you out of harms way usually. Not to mention all the stealthyness really helps there.
    Edited by Cuyler on February 26, 2015 2:35PM
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • LunaRae
    LunaRae
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Nox,

I've got a V14 Nightblade, V14 Templar and I just started playing a Sorcerer who's at V1. I found the sneak attack potential on my nightblade was super fun, and being able to go invisible or gain healing from killers blade when killing an enemy was very helpful. Overall I enjoyed playing through all three quest zones on my NB. I used DW as others have mentioned in the thread, had lots of fun. PvP Nightblades are very good at sneak attacks, whether bowblade (nightblade using bow) or magika wielder (siphoning attacks) or even a sap tank. Lots of options.

Sorcerer is lots of fun too, though I feel squishier without class healing. I'm improvising though. Bolt Escape is the core of my fun gameplay, along with pets. Even though people complain about pets they're still fun in PvE, not so useful in PvP. Strong class abilities that do strong damage, and are great in PvP.

My Sorc is a vampire too, I strongly recommend getting a fire resist enchanted jewelry (or two!) because the amount of fire wielding daedra are numerous while questing, roasting your vampire with 1 or 2 hits :disappointed:

You'll have fun with either pick at the end of the day, and bother are solid late game PvE / PvP - they just play the game differently.
    Stands-Strong-As-Snow ~ Argonian Templar DC NA V14
    Ytheri ~ Argonian Nightblade EP Thornblade NA V14
    Heals-All-Colours ~ Argonian Templar EP Thornblade NA V14
    Stands-In-Still-Waters~ Argonian Sorcerer EP Thornblade NA V2
  • ch1no92
    ch1no92
    ✭✭
    AlbireoNox wrote: »
    Hi everyone!,

I started playing a week ago,

Instantly started doing the "About a week ago dance"

Or was this just me???

Anyways, I'm currently a NB Bosmer, using all medium armor except for my chest and legs which I may use heavy for those if the stamina/magicka/health boosts are worth it. Using dagger/bow combo. 1 on 1 PvE anything I usually get hit once or twice (on more of a boss fight, if it is an average enemy NPC then they didn't even see me coming) after the enemy is less than half at health which at that point I use my Death Stroke Ultimate to leave them around 10-15% health and finish them off with 1 or 2 Assassin Blades which will then recover me most of the health if not all from the two hits if I finish him off. You can also use Death stroke Ultimate early in the fight which it should have recharged to use again after enemy is at 50% health.

If I have to face 3 or more though I use Volley on the group, then Shadow Cloak to approach them but since they don't see me they just stay in the Volley area getting hit and Whirlwind til' there's no stamina left (which takes long if you choose the "Restore Stamina for each target hit" upgrade).

***The others are right about keeping up with armor, I'd say I've refrained from repairing my armor just to go through my inventory and check out mainly the medium armor specs. If it has better defense and around the same or better glyph then I'll equip it and decon my old armor. Same goes for weapons. this really helps keep me in top shape!***

No comment on PvP though, not experienced enough.
    Edited by ch1no92 on February 27, 2015 11:11AM
  • Kragorn
    Kragorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rev Rielle wrote: »
    In relation to racial passives, they will play more of a part in 1.6, but that doesn't make them all that important still. Many people on the forum and otherwise have completely blown their importance out of proportion. Add to that the suggestion that the developers will be looking (but not necessarily changing) racial passives at some point. So play a race you want to play, not what's you think is the 'best'.
    ^This

@AlbireoNox, this is very true. Like most RPGs, ESO has racial skills that provide a SMALL bonus to some character attributes which means when playing some classes you get a bit more of something: more health, more damage, etc.

And like most RPGs the benefits are small .. only hardcore min/maxers think 3% is HUGE .. and always can be mitigated by gear or food .. or simply 'lived with' because except for the hardcore end-game the game isn't tuned assuming 'best in slot' gear and min/maxed racial and other skills.

The theorycrafters and min/maxers wax lyrical about the effects of even 0.1%, it's easy to lose sight of reality.

Yes, there are some racial skills that give 10% boost and it's hard to argue 10% isn't measurable, OTOH using gear/food/potions any class can be highly viable played by any race

Only if you're looking to get into end-game raiding guilds you'll need to do what the min/maxers/theorycrafters tell you, otherwise play what you find fun, no race/class combo is entirely non-viable.
    Edited by Kragorn on February 27, 2015 12:18PM