Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Basic MMO tips for a noob

Supernova8463
Supernova8463
Soul Shriven
Hi everyone, I never played an MMO before this game. I have leveled a dual wielding dark elf dragonknight to level 20. I would like to be a DPS. But I could use some help determining what equipment to use and what enchantments to have on them, where to put my attribute points and how to increase my attack power. As of right now, I have 5 points in magicka, 5 in stanima and 7 in health. I've been using 2 attack spells and 2 weapon attacks. I haven't used any of the guild spells. I've asked for help in the game and they always ask what build I am. I don't know know what they mean. Like I said, I don't understand MMOs, but I want to. Are there enough skill points in the game to be able to unlock enough spells/attacks and level up crafting enough? I haven't even touched crafting because I have no idea what I'm really doing.

I know that was long, but any help is appreciated. Thanks
  • dharbert
    dharbert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nothing we tell you is going to help you at this point. The entire game is changing in a week and most of the advice will be invalidated. Come back and ask after 1.6 hits.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What we can tell you now: decide if you want to use a magicka or stamina build. Magicka = light armor, spell power. Stamina = medium armor, weapon power. You seem to be going with stamina if you use dual wielding.

Yes, there are enough skill points to unlock just about anything you'll need, but it'll be a while until you collect them, so focus on no more than two crafts while you're still levelling.
    Edited by Rosveen on February 26, 2015 10:39PM
  • Supernova8463
    Supernova8463
    Soul Shriven
    So if I choose to be a stanima build, does that mean that i can't really use the ardent flame abilities? Or would I just put magicka enchantments on my armor so I could?
  • Alphashado
    Alphashado
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So if I choose to be a stanima build, does that mean that i can't really use the ardent flame abilities? Or would I just put magicka enchantments on my armor so I could?

Due to the removal of soft caps in 1.6, hybrid builds are not going to be very optimal. You will be better off deciding if you want to use a stamina build or a magicka build. Ability damage for example will scale with your total stamina/magicka. So if you use a hybrid build, you will be good at everything, but great at nothing. (jack of all trades, but master of none)

So it will be wise to stack magicka/health or stamina/health, and use the other resource pool for supplemental enhancements like buffs and mitigation.

Also, below is a very old post from a thread I created at launch. It probably could be edited since it's very old, but there are still many useful tips here for someone new to MMOs
    ...................................................................................................................................................................

1. You will see lots of other people. Everywhere. Especially in the starting zones right after launch. This may be a distraction until you get used to it.

2. Certain quest objectives will be crowded. Sometimes many other people will be working on the same quest as you are. (more of an issue at launch) So it can sometimes be discouraging when you are trying to kill that 9th out of 10 bats and someone else beats you to it. ESO uses a system that allows you to loot a mob as long as you contribute a fair amount of damage to the kill.

3. The ignore/block option is your friend. You will come across people in your travels that annoy or offend you. This prevents you from being able to hear "read" anything this person says, and often times will also block this person from spamming you with group or guild invites.

4. Be prepared to see names that irritate you. Even if you aren't heavy into RP (role playing) you will often see names that you think are silly or ridiculous. I believe ESO has an option to display or hide name plates.

5. Learn to browse the UI (user interface) and hotkey settings. ESO has a very robust UI/hotkey menu that allows you to activate/change/turn off options in order to more customize the game to your playstyle.

6. Know your "role". If you intend to play in a group for dungeon content etc, you will be expected to fill a certain role. In ESO, this role will either be Tank, Heals, or Damage/DPS. There is some flexibility here, but those are the three roles you will be expected to choose from. "Support" is another role that would be a combination of heals, damage, and buffs. Any class can play as "support" in ESO, but you will still be expected to fill the role that you chose. For example, if you choose to que as a healer, you will be expected to be the groups primary healer.

7. Let the tank pull. A great way to annoy people and make enemies in a group setting is to pull epic mobs as DPS or Heals. The tank is designed to hold agro and take massive amounts of damage. So pulling the mob as DPS usually means that the healer will have to work much harder to keep you alive, and the tank will have to work much harder to "peel" agro from you.

8. What goes around comes around. If you are friendly and helpful to other players, you will find that you will make friends very quickly. The same applies to being rude. If you are rude or mean to other players, you will find that you will be ignored/blocked very quickly.

9.You will often make more money selling items to other players than vendors. In ESO, that means using the Guild Store/kiosk or trading in chat.

10. Don't be afraid to ask for help/advice. You will find that most players will be more than willing to help you. if it is your first time in a dungeon for example, it can be very helpful to yourself and your group to mention that you don't know the boss fight mechanics. More often than not, a group member will be happy to explain it. This also applies if you have learned the content and a group member asks for advice or instructions. Taking a few seconds to explain things will often help the group be successful.

11. Do not ask strangers for coin. Asking for help or advice is one thing, but asking strangers to give you money will get you a bad reputation very quickly and will make it difficult to get any kind of assistance in the future.

12. Have fun. Remember that the main objective is to be having fun. The overwhelming majority of the people you come across are also just looking to have fun :smile: People are people and there will always be a few bad apples. Don't let them discourage you, because they are the minority.

That is just a basic list of things to expect. Hopefully other members of this community with MMO experience can add more applicable tips to the list.

This might help as well:

PvP - Player vs Player

PvE - Player vs Environment

RP - Role Playing

LFG - Looking for Group

LFM - Looking for More

WTB - Want to Buy

WTS - Want to Sell

WTT - Want to Trade

OP - Overpowered

FTW- For the Win

Agro - Threat. The mob is focused on you

DPS - Damage Per Second

DD - Damage dealer

AOE - Area of Effect - Spells that damage all or more than one mob in a 360 degree or cone area. This can also apply to heals or buffs.

DOT - Damage Over Time - Spells that damage a mob over time, generally on a server "tic". This can also apply to "bleed" effects.

HOT - Heal over Time - Spells or abilities that heal you or an ally in "tics".

CC - Crowd Control - Mez/Sleep/Root - all forms of crowd control.

AFK - Away from Keyboard - it is considered polite to inform group members or someone you are having a conversation with that you are going AFK. Most of the time this is a non issue as real life issues happen. But I would advise that you not join a group if you know in advance that you will be AFK often (cooking dinner etc) because your group is relying on you and making them wait on you repeatedly is often considered rude and may get you booted from the group.

And a few that are generally used as insults. I advise not using these terms, as they tend to get you ignored/blocked. But just so you know what they mean.

Newb - New player

Nub - Same thing, but meant to be more harsh

Scrub - Bad player

Leeroy - An old WoW name that has become legendary and is used in every MMO now. It refers to a player named Leeroy Jinkins that wiped his party by yelling 'Leeeeeroy! and charing in to a boss fight before the group was ready. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkCNJRfSZBU

Troll - Someone who intentionally incites an argument. Saying things in chat just to get a rise out of someone. It is a fishing metaphor - Toss the bait out and troll until you get a bite. Most everyone still envisions a troll under the bridge though, as you will often hear "Don't feed the Troll" :smile:

Edited by Alphashado on February 26, 2015 11:40PM
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could still use magicka skills, but for utlity/support, not as your main damage source. For example Dragon Blood is a bread and butter skill of pretty much any kind of dragonknight.

Ardent Flame in particular has two skills with stamina morphs coming in 1.6 (Searing Strike and Fiery Breath), a useful ultimate and Fiery Grip which may or may not be useful as a gap closer in certain situations, depending on if they turn it back to how it worked before. But that's exactly what should be left to figure out once we all have easy access to 1.6 on Live.
    Edited by Rosveen on February 26, 2015 11:27PM
  • Supernova8463
    Supernova8463
    Soul Shriven
    thanks for all of the replies. are there any better races or weapons I could using as a dragonknight?
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alphashado wrote: »

Snip.

Troll - Someone who intentionally incites an argument. Saying things in chat just to get a rise out of someone. It is a fishing metaphor - Toss the bait out and troll until you get a bite. Most everyone still envisions a troll under the bridge though, as you will often hear "Don't feed the Troll" :smile:

[/i]

I did not know this but it makes perfect sense now! Makes me want to get some red snapper ;) *goes fishing*
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for all of the replies. are there any better races or weapons I could using as a dragonknight?

Unless you can craft, you will have to chase dropped sets. For now I would focus on any sets that increase Weapon Damage such as Ashen Grip, Torugs Pact or Hundgings Rage. The first two require you know 2 or 3 traits on each piece you make, the last needs 6 traits known. If you don't know the traits, you can ask a guild mate to make it for you (be nice and give them a stack of Materials to use to make it).

Here are the dropped sets you can get from mobs

http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Sets

Although in my exp, finding all 5 pieces is a chore. What I do is once I find a couple of them, then I look in Guild Kiosks for the rest. Sometimes you can even find all 5 pieces that way. Figure on spending 200 to 400 gold for each dropped set piece.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"