The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Sorcerer or Templar for Healer?

Cazic
Cazic
✭✭✭✭✭
I just rolled a Sorc with the intention of building a healer. Now I'm realizing Templars are likely the better healers, and that there's all sorts of complaints lately about Sorcerers in 1.6. I'm not quite level 10 yet, so it isn't too late to reroll.

Just wondering if anyone has been successful as a Sorc Healer or is Templar the way to go?
  • Jando
    Jando
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you know that you want to be the best healer in the game. Then re-roll a Templar.
    Dear ZoS - Sell us great content at a reasonable price. Stop the Grind!!
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen pretty much any character who plugs a lot of points into magicka and has the first two restoration staff abilities morphed function as a decent healer IF 1-they have a good sense of timing and a computer and veiwpoint good enough to see which party member is where, 2-there is a tank in the group with some kind of effective crowd control (taunt, usually), and 3-the group members stick together - really hard to heal people who are haring off in all directions.

All that being said, I have no experience of veteran levels, and I'm told you really need a Templar for some of the cleansing abilities.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Khaleer
    Khaleer
    ✭✭
    for later gameplay mainhealer sorc with restostaff maybe possible, but with templar it's easier.
  • Snit
    Snit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerers can heal. They're viable. However, in terms of class skills, they bring less to the table than any other class. Every other class has at least one ability that helps, but sorcs lose their only advantage* when 1.6 hits. If your primary role is healer, sorc is the worst class to pick. Templars are clearly the top healers, followed by NB's and then DK's.

ZOS posted yesterday that they intend to do something for sorc healers someday. They did not say what or when. It is not imminent.

* Since launch, sorcs could buff their weapon power better than most others, allowing them to be very effective with a resto staff. In 1.6, resto heals are now spellpower based, and every class has access to the Mage Guild ability to buff it.
    Edited by Snit on February 25, 2015 3:40PM
    Snit AD Sorc
    Ratbag AD Warden Tank
    Goblins AD Stamblade

• likewow777
    likewow777
    ✭✭✭
    I think you can definitely be a good healer with a Sorcerer, and there's no reason to not try it. However, and there's no way to get around this fact, a Templar healer has access to more healing spells. Does that mean the Templar is a better healer by default? I dunno. How good are you with the Sorcerer? (Rhetorical question. I know you just started the character :wink: )

Personally, I'd rather have too many spells to choose from, and the Templar provides that.
    "War doesn't build character, it reveals it."
  • Cazic
    Cazic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. Yeah, I am thinking of rerolling a Templar so I can ensure a more solid healing build later in the game. Sorcerer is fun so far but I'm not really sold on the Sorcerer class skills enough to stick with it.
  • Sheuib
    Sheuib
    ✭✭✭✭
    There were often times on my templar healer that we would have to many healers and it was always good to be able to heal or dps depending on what was needed. In 1.5 sorc was always better at being able to play both roles. Yes templar as a dps has better group support but not sure if that made up for the extra dps the sorc would provide.

However, come 1.6 I am thinking templar ranged magicka dps is going to improve significantly with the changes to entropy, sun fire adding crit buff, backlash being instant cast, dark flare having a shorter cast, and the addition of the execute ability. Making the templar better for being able to play both roles.
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar or go home.

Edit: Sorc is dps first, healing is an afterthought when your Templar healer is eating to many chips during the boss fight.
    Edited by Cuyler on February 26, 2015 3:34PM
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]