Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why doesn't all NPC dialogue show in chat?

Danikat
Danikat
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I've noticed that even with the NPC option selected a lot of dialogue doesn't appear in the chat box, in particular things quest givers say as you approach. This is very frustrating to me because my PC is in the main room of the house so even with headphones on I can't always hear everything clearly and some of this dialogue can be interesting background to the area or quest.

I've tried downloading add-ons to add subtitles but all the ones I've found only show the same dialogue that appears in the chat box.

Is there anything I can do to make the missing dialogue appear as text? I don't mind where, I just want to be able to read it if I didn't hear clearly the first time.
PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Kragorn
    Kragorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you're out of luck. Seems ZOS made this option simply to ensure you get a 'hard copy' of the important bits of information the NPC provides verbally, rather than an entire transcript .. which is why I guess the translation add-on also couldn't deal with it.
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, it is frustrating at times. Sometimes it's basically impossible to hear what an NPC says, regardless of the quality of your sound, or volume, simply because something else is going on in the game at that time (e.g. a Battle). I haven't be able to come up with any work around either, it's just one of those things we have to deal with the best we can it seems.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the answers.

Disappointing, but kind of what I expected. I might try playing with the audio settings to see if I can make it clearer. (I can't remember now if there's a seperate dialogue option, and I can't check till I get home, but turning that up and everything else down might help.)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    Thanks for the answers.

Disappointing, but kind of what I expected. I might try playing with the audio settings to see if I can make it clearer. (I can't remember now if there's a seperate dialogue option, and I can't check till I get home, but turning that up and everything else down might help.)

I found when I dropped the Ambient sound and the Music (there is one more but I can't remember it right now) the NPC voices became much clearer. It did not need to be all the way off, more like halfway or little less on those sliders and then full or 3/4 on the voice slider. I also dropped foot steps to real low as those bug me (that might have been the third one come to think of it)

Edited by Nestor on February 24, 2015 11:29PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Danikat wrote: »
    Thanks for the answers.

I found when I dropped the Ambient sound and the Music (there is one more but I can't remember it right now) the NPC voices became much clearer. It did not need to be all the way off, more like halfway or little less on those sliders and then full or 3/4 on the voice slider. I also dropped foot steps to real low as those bug me (that might have been the third one come to think of it)

Yes, I've done so too: I've customised and altered the various sound levels via trial and error over the last year or so to get it to a point where I'm quite happy. I still miss some dialogue, but it has greatly improved. I think it's the best the OP can hope for at this point in time.
  • Terminus
    Terminus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a togglable setting that allows you to see ambient chat as text within your chat box.
    But, I don't think there's a way to filter quest chat from regular ambient chat.

However, you can create a separate tab for ambient chat so you can switch to it if you have any problems hearing NPCs.
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terminus wrote: »
    There is a togglable setting that allows you to see ambient chat as text within your chat box.
    But, I don't think there's a way to filter quest chat from regular ambient chat.

However, you can create a separate tab for ambient chat so you can switch to it if you have any problems hearing NPCs.

Unfortunately this setting, even when enabled, does not show up all NPC dialogue in the chat.
  • pgorbas_ESO
    pgorbas_ESO
    ✭✭
    In my case I am unable to check the NPC checkbox in the chat options.