Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Community Feature Suggestion: Roleplaying Status

bellanca6561n
bellanca6561n
✭✭✭✭✭
It would be useful, and has proven useful in other games, for players who are roleplaying to be able to include this in their status. At the moment players can designate various titles (e.g. Pact Hero) and status (e.g. Volunteer) on their characters.

What this does is help you find other roleplayers in the game plus it give you an important cue how to address these players.

Roleplaying has become the defacto Elders Game in many MMOs. It helps extend the player lifecycle beyond the typical discovery and achievement phases. But it can be initially off-putting and is best eased into.

This helps.
  • aecburky02_ESO
    I think Chat bubbles is going to help with Roleplaying, It's hard to do with the old chat system. TeamSpeak is the best option of course.

C.H.
  • aecburky02_ESO
    Chat bubbles ARE
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chat bubbles can definitely point you to other roleplayers, true. But they don't identify roleplayer to other players is the point.

Then again, I've been on a run of back luck with my interactions with strangers in the game. Odd attempts just to annoy for no reason beyond that. Thus, I have to wonder now whether having this tag wouldn't be painting a Grief Me target on people who'd use it.
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with this.
  • Jaxon_Wolfe
    It would be nice to be able to log in to a RP zone. You're right, marking yourself as a roleplayer would make you a juicy target for annoying players. But being able to log into zones specific for RP would cut down on this.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chat bubbles can definitely point you to other roleplayers, true. But they don't identify roleplayer to other players is the point.

Then again, I've been on a run of back luck with my interactions with strangers in the game. Odd attempts just to annoy for no reason beyond that. Thus, I have to wonder now whether having this tag wouldn't be painting a Grief Me target on people who'd use it.

Sadly, exactly this. All MMOs are infested with jerks who have nothing better to do with their failed and miserable lives than to try to inflict some of their own misery on others.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »

Sadly, exactly this. All MMOs are infested with jerks who have nothing better to do with their failed and miserable lives than to try to inflict some of their own misery on others.

Not sure if it's just human nature or gamer nature, but there is a persistent problem of people thinking that the way they play a game is the way a game should be played. And the corollary to that is that people who play a game differently are bad, stupid, and should be punished for their transgressions ;)

Despite this, most folks in ESO are polite and generous. But the nicest ones also tend to keep to themselves, making the ones not so polite much more memorable.

Still, I doubt I'll ever encounter a community like the Landroval server of Lord of the Rings Online. It was RP Suggested, rather than RP Required as some of the LotRO servers were. Huge difference.
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jitterbug V8
    Bi-curious
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, definitely. Would be great if we could simply have a tag that says 'Roleplayer' instead of our other options like 'Tamriel Hero' etc etc.
    Edited by Rev Rielle on December 12, 2014 1:31AM
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Dyna
    Dyna
    ✭✭✭
    We've been wanting this for aaaages. Would be nice!
  • emeraldbay
    emeraldbay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ChloeWilde
    Still, I doubt I'll ever encounter a community like the Landroval server of Lord of the Rings Online. It was RP Suggested, rather than RP Required as some of the LotRO servers were. Huge difference.

Reading that took me back! I loved Landroval. I hope they implement a similar server in TESO and it takes off in the same way, because that would make the game for me.
    EU Megaserver • Dinah Valiant • Imperial Templar
    Imperial Trading Company
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    To anyone - what do you currently do to identify yourself as a role-player? Or even to start or stimulate any interactions with other Players?
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Dyna
    Dyna
    ✭✭✭
    Hey newtinmpls!

Most of us make use of community RP guilds - it's kind of a pain because it takes up a guild slot, but it seems to help with phasing. Depending on your faction, I could point you to someone in-game to ask for a guild invite, or you could check it out on teso-rp.com

Feel free to send me an in-game mail @dyna for an invite to the Aldmeri Dominion community guild - The Dominion Accord. :)

As far as random world RP, it is sadly lacking, but I have come across it once in a while while RPing out in the world.
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Easiest way is to WALK, rather than run everywhere like you're fleeing something awful or are just plain terrified.

When I see folks walking I know they're roleplayers. And they get most places at the same time as folks thinking they're Stallone running from an explosion in one movie or another.
  • TRoclodyte
    TRoclodyte
    ✭✭✭
    Roleplayer title, so much yes!

And roleplaying achievments! "Do not level up in 10 hours of gameplay: 50 points!" :tongue:
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather have that promised RP phase one could just change to.
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • Dyna
    Dyna
    ✭✭✭

I don't recall that this was ever promised? I know we've asked for it a number of times. I remember that they said they'd try to do this in one of the pre-launch interviews, but in the time since, it has been indicated that the technology to implement something like this simply isn't present at this time. I don't remember any actual promises or guarantees.

It's unfortunately, but we find ways to work around it; a simple 'roleplayer' title might do wonders for us!
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it was a feature pre launch, connected to the never implemented questionnaire that would determine ones main phase. Then it went to something that's being worked on and then to something they'd absolutely loved to have eventually.

Nothing was promised per say, of course. But when a game is advertised with a certain feature, I'll take it as one.
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dyna wrote: »

I don't recall that this was ever promised? I know we've asked for it a number of times. I remember that they said they'd try to do this in one of the pre-launch interviews, but in the time since, it has been indicated that the technology to implement something like this simply isn't present at this time. I don't remember any actual promises or guarantees.

It's unfortunately, but we find ways to work around it; a simple 'roleplayer' title might do wonders for us!

I'd call them somewhat heroic measures at times, Dyna ;)

One of those measures - the super guild of NA Pact RP folks - has turned into the most interesting chat channel in the game. And the scale of some of those story lines and events rivals, in detail and scope, anything I've seen in 30 years of online gaming. The sheer feeling of immersion at times is....well...eerie but in a good way.

No matter how well crafted a caned, scripted story is, an NPC is an NPC. You may enjoy that NPC in the way you are charmed by the tune a music box plays. But it's not live music and an NPC will never convince you it's a person.

I mean...just look at this....

My concern is that some of those phase/instancing breaking strategies, such as travel to player in your guild, may be going away soon.
  • Panda244
    Panda244
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I RP'd in SWTOR it was so easy to find a place no one ventured... Whether it be on a Planet, on a Ship, in your ship. (Hint hint ZOS, add Player Housing) I remember the one Imperial Destroyer you had travel to in order to get to some Flashpoints, there was the bridge deck that no one ever used and aside from a nice RP spot, that view out the front window was fan-tab-ulous.

If you really want a nice private spot for RP, Eyevea works great, the Stronghold in Grahtwood where you can jump over the wall to get in and out, Rivenspire, anywhere. In Rivenspire, it's so empty all the time.

Veteran Zones are also empty 90% of the time, and the Pact and Daggerfall ones are best for RP, Aldmeri lacks in that respect... We're just forests and cannibalistic tree hippies, with some more forests, and no cities. :cry:
    Aldmeri Dominion For Life!
    Crassus Licinius II - DK - V14 - Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade NA (The Dragonknight that refuses to go Vampire.)
    N'tel Arlena - NB - V14 - Retired Sap Tank of Haderus NA, Harasser of Many (Also, not a vampire. Goes by nickname Nutella.)

#FreeZazeer
    #FreeGooey
    #FreeAsgari
    #FreeAoE
    #FreeSubtomik
    #FreeMBF

Officially Resigned From Cyrodiil As Of 4/15/15 10:24 PM EST.
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes but you have to complete the storyline for that, Panda.

Many roles are ones you need folks to roll characters for in short order.

Plus the places you cite are not Pact settings.

And, for some Pact people, there's the little matter of The Hatching Pools when you mention any AD location ;)

But, seriously, those are helpful suggestions and player owned land and housing - or instances in the case of Rift - are likely the best solution.
  • PoisonedPaint
    PoisonedPaint
    ✭✭✭
    I think phaseable channels would be the best option; everyone could create them and join them after each log in or leave them, of course. Would kind of be like the Travel To thing, just easier to phase with the members within the channel.
    @PoisonedPaint - RPers, feel free to add! I'm on NA, EST Zone. Has odd playtimes.

Main Character: Bjorn the Half-Blood - Half Imperial/Nord. Carrd RP Profile Link
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cant seem to find any RPers at all on the NA server. something to let me know who RPs and who does not would be nice.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jircris11 wrote: »
    I cant seem to find any RPers at all on the NA server. something to let me know who RPs and who does not would be nice.

Where RP is MASSIVE and organized and filled with activities and events on the NA server is the Pact.

But to connect to goings on in this sphere across the game you'd best head here:
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Where RP is MASSIVE and organized and filled with activities and events on the NA server is the Pact.

But to connect to goings on in this sphere across the game you'd best head here:

Yup i am there, even posted a bio and a request though its been over a week with no responses lol. I picked AD due to some friends sadly they quit and i dont feel like re-re lvling XD.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup i am there, even posted a bio and a request though its been over a week with no responses lol. I picked AD due to some friends sadly they quit and i dont feel like re-re lvling XD.

RP online gaming is a tougher nut to crack than any other community in the MMO world. The nature of the activity itself tends to create tight, small groups that are difficult to enter.

With NA Pact RP, however, you can get your start playing a guard at an event, or a waitress at the Ebony Flask. Some, no doubt, play Nighflowers too......which is why the fella running the Flask issued his edict that going around without pants would not be tolerated :p

This video of a recent event delivers a good idea of the sheer number of people roleplaying in ESO now, and the scope of the activity.....

The best RP has many, many roles and I'm sure there are myriad RP guilds in every faction. And it doesn't require grandiose events in most cases.

• Krist
    Krist
    ✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    To anyone - what do you currently do to identify yourself as a role-player? Or even to start or stimulate any interactions with other Players?

As was said above, walking. Interacting. Speaking to the NPC's, maybe with nothing more than a thank you.

RP does not have to mean someone is there. Just RP. I was in one of the new hide out things (whatever they are called) and my character started playing the lute. Someone else came along and played the drums, and someone else started dancing. No one greifed. It was a small thing, but very pleasant. When done, I bowed to them and thanked them and left.

I use alot of emotes as well. If patient, you would be surprised at how many come along and join, even some that probably do not usually rp.

As far those that like to grief, sometimes I have fun with them, and pretty much make them into any fool I choose. On another game an male elf came along while I was just sitting to dance seductively in front of my male character. I treated them as if they were an ugly female slave. THEY chose to leave. In other cases, treat them as a fool. *tosses gold* Do it again fool, do it again! *Laughs loudly*

Anything can be overcome. Remember, in rl, there are some really goofy people, why not acknowledge them in rp. ;)
    "Krist the Lionheart? No. Lionheart was my dog" -Krist
    "Darling, if looks were everything, I would be king of the world" -Luke
    "That place, between day and night, that purple color just before dark, that is where you will find me"- Hughe