Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Windows 7 users- Rejoice! I have a fix for you!

RinaldoGandolphi
RinaldoGandolphi
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Good morning!

Once again my contact at Microsoft has come through!

I bring to you, the following fix:

IMPORTANT:THIS UPDATE IS NOT ON WINDOWS UPDATE AND ONLY APPLIES TO WINDOWS VISTA AND WINDOWS 7
A memory leak issue occurs in the Audiodg.exe process when you play audio on a computer that is running Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008

http://support2.microsoft.com/?id=981013

Ever notice ESO uses a lot of memory sometimes? Well this is part of the reason why...On Windows 7 atleast. My max ram usage is now cut in half, and ESO no longer chews RAM like its going out of style.

Windows 8/8.1 users...out of luck I guess, as the audio system underneath has changed a great deal, and no such update is available for that system yet.

This should give Windows Vista/ Windows 7 users some relief though. Hope this helps! Have a great day!
Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
Officer Fire and Ice
Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, you are running on an old Windows 7 without SP1?
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if this was added to the Service Packs, it seems like it should have been.

However, with Hotfixes that are optional, unintended consequences can occur, so always set a System Restore point before applying a hotfix like this. Just in case something weird happens.

A supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing the problem described in this article. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.

According to this blurb, test your system to see if you even need it, as it may have been added to a Service Pack.

If you check the memory usage of the Audiodg.exe process, you find that the memory leak consumes several hundreds of bytes every time that the PlaySound function is called.
    Edited by Nestor on October 28, 2014 3:57PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, you are running on an old Windows 7 without SP1?

No, I have 1 computer here with Vista SP2 that needed this hotfix. Vista SP2 and 7 are nearly identical under the hood anyways. Win 7 is mainly just UI changes from Vista SP2. So i skipped 7 and went to 8 as i saw no reason to upgrade that computer as it well exceeded the recommended requirements and I have had no problems whatsoever with Windows Vista SP2...Vista was buggy at launch, and OEM's shipped under powered systems, but after SP2 Vista is every bit as solid and good as Win 7 is.

I couldn't find this hotfix listed in the Windows 7 SP1 release notes and fixes. I installed this update on a Windows 7 SP1 VM here and the update installed successfully, so who knows :)
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• Arizona_Willie
    Arizona_Willie
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like a good cure for the problem would be to upgrade to Windows 8.1.
    Why not? It is far superior to Windows 7.
    I'm surprised that anyone smart enough to be playing this game wouldn't already have upgraded ... unless they were playing on their computers at work and the Boss wouldn't allow the upgrade.
    If I wanted a Signature I would have a Signature --- but i don't want one so I don't have one.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would never upgrade to 8.1

I have spare Win 7 licenses in case I need to build a machine or two.

On topic, my Win 7 SP1 boxes have newer versions of audiodg.exe than what the Microsoft fix installed. I doubt the fix would install anything if I tried.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Syee
    Syee
    I clicked the link and got a Virus!!! Endless Google Chrome Processes in the Task manager until my computer shuts down. Called jmvvkvbggy.exe they multiply and cant get rid of them.!!! Warning!!!
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Syee wrote: »
    I clicked the link and got a Virus!!! Endless Google Chrome Processes in the Task manager until my computer shuts down. Called jmvvkvbggy.exe they multiply and cant get rid of them.!!! Warning!!!

Bullll[snip]

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981013/en-us
    alternative link to same article. You can also look for the name of the isse directly in Windows support website.

You should check your computer if what you say is true, it has a virus.
  • Inco
    Inco
    ✭✭✭✭
    Patch routinely and patch often. Saves a lot of headache in the future.