Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I Think It's Time to Reintroduce Ground Oil

Gooey
Gooey
✭✭✭
The fact that ZERGING is now the #1 way to play PvP is ridiculous. We all know that the only way to beat these huge zergs with smaller numbers of players was to bring them into a choke and oil them. If not oils, put something into the game other than the detonation skill from the alliance war skill line, that skill is absolutely terrible for what you wanted it to do.

P.S. If your an EP zerger don't comment on this thread.
  • KBKB
    KBKB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I loved ground oil would be a massive step backwards (which might actually be forwards knowing ZOS) and isn't the right solution to stop the juggalo train.

I like making Impulse/Wall like a Sorc's streak costing more magicka and dropping regen when you use it, this opens up troubles for PvE but would probably increase server performance.
    Edited by KBKB on February 12, 2015 7:42PM
  • Gooey
    Gooey
    ✭✭✭
    KBKB wrote: »
    As much as I loved ground oil would be a massive step backwards (which might actually be forwards knowing ZOS) and isn't the right solution to stop the juggalo train.

There is no other way, the zerg method has been reinforced and made stronger in 1.6. We need a way to stop this.
  • KBKB
    KBKB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gooey wrote: »
    KBKB wrote: »

There is no other way, the zerg method has been reinforced and made stronger in 1.6. We need a way to stop this.

I see your point, and feel your pain nothing I hate more than my ping shooting up/FPS dropping or getting blindsided by a zerg that moment your stam is low. I just don't think ground oil is a progessive step forward for Cyrodiil. I loved it back on wabba it got me a lot of AP but it was a little ridiculous at times.

I don't think Magicka Detonation is going to break zergs like ZOS is hoping for, they are really out of their depth with balancing PvP and programming that much becomes clearer every week.
    Edited by KBKB on February 12, 2015 7:47PM
  • Gooey
    Gooey
    ✭✭✭
    Faugaun wrote: »
    Full damage to all targets on AOE!!

No.
  • KBKB
    KBKB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    or could do -1% armor and spell resist per ally within 30 meters

lolwat
  • Gooey
    Gooey
    ✭✭✭

No.

if a few stacked aoes would rip a zerg up i bet people dont zerg any more

I'm pretty sure the 100+ AoEs on you would kill you before you killed them.
  • Suru
    Suru
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would be too easy to farm carebears in buff servers, so naaah learn to defend instead of this crutch.

Suru
  • Gooey
    Gooey
    ✭✭✭
    Suru wrote: »
    It would be too easy to farm carebears in buff servers, so naaah learn to defend instead of this crutch.

Don't reveal my master plan suru.
  • Huckdabuck
    Huckdabuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact that ZERGING is now the #1 way to play PvP is ridiculous. We all know that the only way to beat these huge zergs with smaller numbers of players was to bring them into a choke and oil them. If not oils, put something into the game other than the detonation skill from the alliance war skill line, that skill is absolutely terrible for what you wanted it to do.

As it was.....as it is....as it will always be. Nothing new under the sun.
    Texashighelf - VR16 Sorcerer EP NA - FILTHY BARBARIAN
    Texasimperial - VR16 Dragonknight EP NA - How do you like your DK?
    Texas'Imperial - VR16 Dragonknight DC NA - How do you like your DK?
    Texas-Imperial - VR16 Templar DC NA - Queue Clogging Lagsploitter
    Texas Highelf - VR16 Sorcerer DC NA - Queue Clogging Lagsploitter
    Texas Imperial - VR16 Nightblade DC NA - Queue Clogging Lagsploitter
    It's a very grey area.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    HELL NO. the days of people camping in tiny rooms with ground oils has to stay in the past. it was utterly ridiculous. Same with people setting oil pots on an open battle field and killing everyone around them. its a lame and ridiculous way to get kills. I would rather have zergs be dominant than go thru that [snip] again.

There better ways to fight zergs than making oil a ridiculous weapon. Lets see how the zerg busting skill in 1.6 turns out b4 making more suggestions.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Cursing & Profanity]
    Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on February 12, 2015 8:51PM
  • Valnas
    Valnas
    ✭✭✭✭
    ground oil was intense :)
    Fluph Head EP sorc dank magus
    valnäs EP nb
    opHotterslol AD dk
  • jrkhan
    jrkhan
    ✭✭✭
    A new anti zerg siege weapon might be nice.
    Perhaps something that deals more damage the more people it hits? I still remember the first time my guild attempted C'thun in vanilla wow. That guy had one mean eye laser that would chain to all nearby targets. He one shot the entire raid a few times before we figured out how to properly walk into the room.
    So, a seige operating on a similar mechanic might be interesting. Have it start with low base damage (100 in 1.5 numbers), but increases by 100% for every target hit.
    Edited by jrkhan on February 12, 2015 8:37PM
  • themdogesbite
    themdogesbite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just massivly reduce AP gains for people in bigger groups. Problem solved!
    :]
  • TheBull
    TheBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

We have yet to fully how the new AoE mechanic plays. Just the mere fact that everyone will take damage is a huge step forward considering spells like healing springs is capped.

I'm still concerned with how strong purge is though. Siege equipment needs a huge buff aswell.

and no to ground oil...
    Edited by TheBull on February 12, 2015 8:44PM
  • themdogesbite
    themdogesbite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheBull wrote: »

No.

We have yet to fully how the new AoE mechanic plays. Just the mere fact that everyone will take damage is a huge step forward considering spells like healing springs is capped.

I'm still concerned with how strong purge is though. Siege equipment needs a huge buff aswell.

and no to ground oil...

Skills are not properly uncapped on PTS right now btw. Healing springs might be capped to six, but its probably still the best way to heal now when breath of life is close to useless anyways.
  • themdogesbite
    themdogesbite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheBull wrote: »

No.

and no to ground oil...

Skills are not properly uncapped on PTS right now btw, loads of skills are still capped to 6. Healing springs mis probably still the best way to heal now when breath of life is close to useless anyways.

• Columba
    Columba
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not simply increase cool downs on aoes?
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad others are seeing what I'm seeing with the zerg nonsense.

Boost siege damage by 30%, ignore armor and resist, and make the effects unpurgable, and siege will be the anti-zerg artillery it was intended to be.

Reduce the siege hp by 50% to make them easier to destroy in return, and the game now becomes a game of strategy and tactics instead of a game of who can bring the biggest zerg.

If they don't, 1.6 will make zerging worse then it is right now. Siege is the only thing capable of countering superior numbers but right now it doesn't do enough damage to do its intended job, not to mention the 20 siege limit just makes this problem more apparent.
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magicka detonation is a hoot. It wont stop zergs anymore then casting Velucious Curse into their ranks.

Better siege is really the only way to counter zerging. The only question is will ZOS actually do what needs to be done for the good of pvp. That's the million dollar question.
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• saintmurray
    saintmurray
    ✭✭✭
    How about a ground oil tipper that does cone damage forwards. Like a half circle, more realistic and could be used well in defence.
    Saintmurray-V14-Bamplar-EP Former Emp Haderus
    Hans Incognito-V1 DK-EP
    #Betatester
    #Ipaidbeforeitwascool
  • xylena
    xylena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    woodsro wrote: »
    Boost siege damage by 30%, ignore armor and resist, and make the effects unpurgable, and siege will be the anti-zerg artillery it was intended to be.

Reduce the siege hp by 50% to make them easier to destroy in return, and the game now becomes a game of strategy and tactics instead of a game of who can bring the biggest zerg.

yes this please!!!

dumping oil on the ground may have looked silly, but it demonstrated how badly the game needs a powerful point-blank AoE siege weapon to combat zergblobs
    Retired until we break the Tank Meta
  • Teargrants
    Teargrants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh snap, oh snap, what happens now?

Ground oil was fine, all you needed was Cleanse and/or not standing in it.
    POST EQVITEM SEDET ATRA CVRA
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
    EP ※ Teargrants ※
    EP ※ Kissgrants ※
    DC ※ Kirsi ※
    Vehemence Council
    #JustOutOfRenderRange
    ~Teargrants YouTube~
    ┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
  • supernico
    supernico
    ✭✭✭
    It probably was one of the funniest activity in pvp and the most useful weapon against zergs while outnumbered.
    Supernico - VR14 DragonKnight - Daggerfall Covenant - Former Emperor

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.
  • Sile
    Sile
    ✭✭✭
    Those who complain about ground oils were the ones who were farmed in it. Ground oils were certainly fun, and were fantastic, and I wish they were still in the game.
    Gondor
    Stamplar
    The Kelly Gang
    Eternal Dear Leader of Bad People on a Shortbus
    OG Daggerfall Covenant
  • WarrioroftheWind_ESO
    WarrioroftheWind_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd strongly advocate the reintroduction of ground oils, or maybe even introduce a new strain of traps that can be placed on walls/ceilings (OMD anyone?). The thing is there's only so much space inside tight corridors of keeps, and it seems like the attacking enemy has a better strategic position to completely thwart your own defenses than you, the defending player in the assailed keep. Despite touting the new 'zerg-buster skill' in the Assault line, changes such as capping targets affected by snares seems to further reward zerg tactics. A well-entrenched defense should completely mow down an enemy army that doesn't utilize proper tactical measures. 8 people should be able to hold off 100 if they use everything at their disposal and the enemy is made up of noobs.

Perhaps maybe down the road they'll introduce faction-based traps. Like Pact can have spring-loaded rams and wall spears, Dominion can have energized shock crystals taken from ayleid ruins, and Covenant can use swinging maces or wall darts.

• Durann
    Durann
    ✭✭
    No AP if you only do damage with one skill to an enemy.
  • JDar
    JDar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_thermal_weapons#Hot_oil
    Oil of various kinds could be heated to high temperatures and poured over an enemy,[70] although, since it was extremely expensive, its use was limited, both in frequency and quantity.[21][40] Moreover, it could be dangerous and volatile. Since the smoke point of oil is lower than its boiling point, the oil was only heated and not boiled.

Pouring-oil was used in a number of historic battles, and Josephus described its use at Jotapata in AD 67, saying "the oil did easily run down the whole body from head to foot, under their entire armour, and fed upon their flesh like flame itself."[71]

Nowhere here does it say they poured it on the ground and burned peoples feetsies. And in any event, if ground oil were to be re-introduced, the article indicates that the oil's cost should rise greatly given a complete lack of petroleum extraction technology in Cyrodiil. What's $100/barrel converted to AP/Flaming Oil? Should be a lot.