The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Second weapon choice for Templar ?

Castagere
Castagere
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm almost lvl 15 and right now i use Sword and Board. Thinking of going with a Bow for second weapon. What do you guys think?
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really depends on what you want to do.
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I take it your a stam build? bow may be a good way to go yes. That will give you a range spec for when its needed. Some fights can only be done ranged.
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well a restoration staff is one to consider, it not only gives you access to more heals, which sooner or later you will want (it was later for me, but that just proves my point) and restores magicka, and it's passives should also improve templar heals.

Otherwise either a Bow or Destruction staff.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you guys for replies. Was also thinking Restoration staff as well. Just hit lvl 15 and have to chose now.
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well a restoration staff is one to consider, it not only gives you access to more heals, which sooner or later you will want (it was later for me, but that just proves my point) and restores magicka, and it's passives should also improve templar heals.

Otherwise either a Bow or Destruction staff.

@Castagere, Well the other thing I'd like to point out with this is that resto uses magicka for skills, bow uses stam, s&b uses stam too.

My point....your damage scales off of different resources for different skills. If you want to eventually be a heavyhitter, you need to focus on stamina or magicka, not both. So if your currently a stam build with sword and board, go with bow cause that is stam too.

Destro/resto both scale off magicka, weapon damage, and spell crit. NOTE: this will change with ESO:TU.

What you need to ask yourself is which role do you want to do? Tank, heals or dps? If you want to be a hybrid, great.... but you'll be competent at everything, master of nothing. My suggestion, focus on one resource, either stam or mag.

EDIT: In other words, do you want to be a Templar healer (magicka)? a Templar Tank (Stam)? Or a Templar Dps (Stam)?
    Edited by Cuyler on January 23, 2015 9:57PM
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuyler
    how will it change with TU? I don't want to pick the wrong thing.
    Edited by Castagere on January 23, 2015 10:35PM
  • Morshire
    Morshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Castagere wrote: »
    Cuyler

So there is suppose to be a revamp of Templar skills. Even I don't get it. The above about your build being Stam/Magic - I play a Templar. And while I use 1H/SH, a lot of Templar skills rely on magic. So you have to be careful of the resource management. They are changing heavy armor, so if you are tanking, bonus. (So they say) It really depends on how you are going to play. For me, I play tank, secondary heals. So I maxed 1h/sh and restro. You cannot go wrong with the restro staff as you have a great healing abilities. Honestly, if you do it right, you can max restro, and still do bow as well. Then just swap as the need arises.

Follow me if I advance, Kill me if I retreat, Avenge me if I die.

When this immediate evil power has been defeated, we shall not yet have won the long battle with the elemental barbarities. Another evil, it may be an invisible adversary, will attempt, again, and yet again, to destroy our frail civilization. Is it true, I wonder, that the only way to escape a war is to be in it?

If I die, you are forgiven, If I live, I will kill you.
  • jaibierwb17_ESO
    jaibierwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Cuyler

Don't worry too much. As you get more experience with the game and develop your own play style you can always respec. Skills and new weapon lines don't take long to level as you play through the vet content and you will get a free respec anyway once 1.6 hits.
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuyler

Don't worry too much. As you get more experience with the game and develop your own play style you can always respec. Skills and new weapon lines don't take long to level as you play through the vet content and you will get a free respec anyway once 1.6 hits.

Very true.

Personally, I would suggest picking a ranged weapon of some sort, as your sword and shield is very melee-focused. Some of your class skills the Aedric Spear line, and especially Dawn's Wrath provide you with this ranged mobility too though. Restoration staff is very handy, especially if you'd like to heal, but it is certainly not necessary to do so.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuyler

@Castagere, The quick answer....we just don't know yet. Today we have news that 1.6 will should hit the public test server (pts) on Tuesday, Jan. 27th. The patch notes will should also be released tomorrow.

I suggest downloading the pts, reading the 1.6 patch notes and begin theorycrafting a little yourself. The reason is that it will take some time for the serious min/max/theorycrafters to determine all the changes and respond with new potential OP builds. Why wait for them when you can take a look.....at least get an idea of the changes in patch notes.

Anyhow, (presumably) the short version would look something like:
    • Any skill requiring magicka will scale off of max mag, spell damage and spell crit. *
    • Any skill requiring Stamina will scale off of max stam, weapon damage and weapon crit.*
    *Purely speculation based off of moderator responses to player questions and is subject to change or not occur entirely.

The changes outlined in the patch notes totals almost 63+ pages of text sooooo its basically a whole new game. I'll report back when I get a handle on some of the relevant changes to this topic.

Happy Hunting! >:)

Edit: Just wanted to stress how cool it is to go on the pts and get a v14 template to play with all the skills and see where your character would be in the end. Def check it out if you can.
    Edited by Cuyler on January 26, 2015 8:23PM