Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Please dont make ESO F2P

• ElSlayer
    ElSlayer
    ✭✭✭
    There are days when I want to shoot in the head with Ol' Good 12-gauge some crying, slobbery, snotty, kneeling whiner that starts topic with "Please" word.

Um, I forgot what I wanted to say on topic.
    @d0e1ow: There is no singular thing within a game's little ecosystem that will convince you that you hate the game, hate your life, and hate everyone around you faster than the game's official forums will.

@TaffyIX: Life is too short to get upset by a video game.
  • Elirienne
    Elirienne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Support, F2P destoyed the swtor experience for me (I really did like that game). Rift is just ridiculous to play with all the "buy loyalty" crap. I don't mind paying for a good game, but I want to play for my money, not with my money.
  • Zorak
    Zorak
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you guys that F2P would probably ruin the experience.

But I don't know, IMHO it doesn't look that promising anymore.

I don't know if it will turn F2P (and personally don't want to), but I do see alot of canceled subs and many ppl getting bored too soon.

Edit: I like the game. But I won't close my eyes and pretend there isn't many major problems with it. The game has many nice features, but sometimes it feels so shallow and too repetitive.
    Edited by Zorak on May 8, 2014 11:19AM
  • fredarbonab14_ESO
    fredarbonab14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Xnemesis wrote: »
    Please don't make ESO F2P I cant afford a F2P game :(

They have zero intention to go F2P, why? Because they are not stupid, and they know that doing so will put the game in the ~same~ playing field as with most other MMO games that jumped into that wagon in the last 2-3 years, and will have to compete the same way with all of them; meaning less content and start nickeling and diming your way back to profitability. Meaning no separation from every other competitor.

'IF' posts always are so much fun because everyone gets to make a speech on something that hasn't happened, nor will.

• Greydog
    Greydog
    ✭✭✭✭

They have zero intention to go F2P, why? Because they are not stupid, and they know that doing so will put the game in the ~same~ playing field as with most other MMO games that jumped into that wagon in the last 2-3 years, and will have to compete the same way with all of them; meaning less content and start nickeling and diming your way back to profitability. Meaning no separation from every other competitor.

'IF' posts always are so much fun because everyone gets to make a speech on something that hasn't happened, nor will.

I wouldn't dismiss the f2p boogeyman out of hand. It's draw is powerful and the bottom line always rules in the end ;)

"I Plan on living forever ..so far so good"
    Sanguine's Disciple

Asylum Amoebaeus ..A refuge for those who normally fly solo.
    Message me here or in game for an invite
  • sigmond
    sigmond
    If it ever does go F2P I know 3 subs that will go away.
    Let me guess you want a prize because you showed up. Here have a cookie.
  • Zorak
    Zorak
    ✭✭✭
    sigmond wrote: »
    If it ever does go F2P I know 3 subs that will go away.

lol ?

• dwaightb16_ESO
    if they dont have another choice it will eventualy.
  • maharao_ESO
    F2P would be a death sentence, as it has been for other games. Fear of that is why I am glad there is no "lifer" option, as I have been badly burned with lifetime subscriptions top other games that went to trash with the F2P conversion.
  • Khandi
    Khandi
    ✭✭✭
    Avidus wrote: »
    No game has ever won the fight against goldsellers, because its a fight against players.

Tera won that fight.

One should always be in love. That is the reason one should never marry.

~Oscar Wilde

• Vorpedagel
    Vorpedagel
    ✭✭✭
    Don't try to rob this game of it's glory by saying it should be F2P.
  • Zorak
    Zorak
    ✭✭✭
    F2P would be a death sentence, as it has been for other games. Fear of that is why I am glad there is no "lifer" option, as I have been badly burned with lifetime subscriptions top other games that went to trash with the F2P conversion.

I don't agree with "death sentence".

For many MMOs going F2P was the only option BESIDES death.

I hope this isn't the case with ESO, but I wouldn't bet all my money on it.

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greydog wrote: »

I wouldn't dismiss the f2p boogeyman out of hand. It's draw is powerful and the bottom line always rules in the end ;)
    ESO has some benefits an game like SWTOR don't have, first they have an decent publisher, we all know EA would start pushing new rushed elder scroll games every second year after oblivion sold well.
    Second is megaserver, yes it causes bugs however it keep the zones populated, with traditional servers you will get empty stating areas even on well populated servers after some time, empty worlds keeps people from playing and F2P solves this problem and make sure the game get an population even if it loses money going F2P.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khandi wrote: »
    No game has ever won the fight against goldsellers, because its a fight against players.

Tera won that fight.
    Google disagree, no you probably don't see much gold seller spam as they have good filters. You don't see gold spam in wow either.
    You saw lot in ESO because they did not had filters, you still have some as the filters are not good enough.
    Same with bots, bot prevention programs moves bots out of sight where they are not reported and chased.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Khandi
    Khandi
    ✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Khandi wrote: »

Tera won that fight.
    Google disagree, no you probably don't see much gold seller spam as they have good filters. You don't see gold spam in wow either.
    You saw lot in ESO because they did not had filters, you still have some as the filters are not good enough.
    Same with bots, bot prevention programs moves bots out of sight where they are not reported and chased.

I played Tera from closed betas right up until ESO release and there was only once or twice that I saw gold sellers in the very beginning so you may want to recheck your google source. :)

I wanted to add that I would really like for ESO to figure out how a 'Asian Grinder' could block them so they can implement the same precautions.
    Edited by Khandi on May 8, 2014 2:45PM
    One should always be in love. That is the reason one should never marry.

~Oscar Wilde

• 7788b14_ESO
    7788b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Sarenia wrote: »
    I dont want the game to go F2P either, but I fear it is inevitable. ZOS simply does not have their act together and I fear it's going to bite them in the butt.
    What makes you say this?

They've been extremely forthright and transparent about their efforts to address known issues, from bots to bugs. They've even had GMs manually making rounds through dungeons to ban bots in front of people, in recent days.

Additionally, I saw a lot of earnest passion in the State of the Game Address that Matt Firor gave. It's unusual to see such a human response from a large company like Zenimax, but certainly not a bad thing.

All evidence I see suggests that the developers of this game have a vested interest in seeing it succeed for more than monetary reasons.

One reason is when I first started playing this game it was packed with lots of people. I recently started an alt and there were like 6 new people around the area in the prison. I have also never ran into wait queue before logging into this game since the first week or two this game started.
  • tylarthb16_ESO
    tylarthb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    If a f2p model like gw2, i'd welcome that.

However a freemium model like swtor is atm is unpleasant when not subbed, its feels really an extended free trail more then a complete game and very punitive to a former sub.
  • 7788b14_ESO
    7788b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    If it goes F2P soon it will be to combat the mega BOT problem we have here. By going F2P it would kill off a good 90% of the online gold markets for this game. leaving the rest of them to scrounge whatever people are not buying from the cash shops.
    F2P models are a gold sellers nightmare, so look to this happening much sooner than you all think because as it is, they will never win this fight.

Ah, F2p people are more likely to buy gold in order to rush to pvp. This is like when people were saying bots won't be a problem because of subscriptions being too expensive. I see more bots in f2p games then in sub based games.
  • 7788b14_ESO
    7788b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Mortelus wrote: »
    I still firmly believe that consoles will be a massive winner for Zeni. PC's made up 14% of total sales for Skyrim, consoles made up the rest.

So realistically the market is much larger for them on consoles based upon these numbers.

I do not think it will go F2P, the day it does is the day that Zeni finished listening to the feedback from it's player, and by feedback I mean, constructive feedback not,

" this isn't WOW, make it like WoW or I rage/quits" type of feedback.

While only 14% of those copies sold were on PC, those figures don't include digital download numbers, which are sure to be substantial considering the enormous numbers of people playing Skyrim on Steam.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/15/skyrim-sells-3-4-million-copies-in-2-days/
  • Thechemicals
    Thechemicals
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its marketing and financial officers decision to employ the f2p business model, not the design or developers.

F2P is a great business model because its not really f2p, just a limited free play until you reach a certain progression. D&D online pioneered the first successful F2p business model and many other companies jumped on that idea. In D&D, you played to a certain level and then it became very difficult to progress unless you bought a membership or DLC.

F2P is a bad business model in a sense that it attracts low caliber and unclassy people but that ship has arrived regardless. F2P isnt always pay to win...many business models allow the purchase of only content and core features like bag space limitiations, while the bad ones create a store where you can buy gear and items to win...i.e DCU online.

Overrall, its about how F2P is released. If it restricts content with the choice to buy it then its a win and can create a good influx of money. If is a market where you can buy gear/levels/materials...then it will be a disaster, from my perspective experience of course.
    Vr14 Templar since release- dual resto
    Vr14 Dk bow/2h

Brayan Blackthunder
    Goddick
    Daggerfall Covenant

• FrauPerchta
    FrauPerchta
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately F2P games make large amounts of money. Just look at World of Tanks. It's F2P, you don't have to spend a single penny to play. However if you basically Pay 2 Win you can spend an outrageous amount of money on things like special ammo, fire extinguishers, camo/netting, etc, etc and tanks that can be gotten no way other than buying them with real money that can cost up to about $70 dollars. You even have to buy garage slots to put new free tanks unless you are willing to give up your free tank that you've grown to love and may want to go seal clubbing with. I never bought the game winning items but I did like some of the $$ tanks and liked keeping some of my old tanks so I bought like 50 garage slots. I probably spent around $200 on WoT over the course of a year.

Star Trek Online is the same. The best free ships all have a pay with real money version that is superior the the free ships.

Player base starts dwindling and F2P will soon follow.
  • kieso
    kieso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    F2P is fine, It works great for GW2.
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'll quit if it goes f2p. I don't play f2p games.
  • Reymas
    Reymas
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would follow that up with this:

"If you DO find you HAVE to make it F2P please allow us to continue paying a subscription and that gives us access to all the cash items and perks indefinitely for the sub price."
    Honor, Duty and Piety for Morrowind
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Melian wrote: »
    I'll quit if it goes f2p. I don't play f2p games.
    That is exactly why I stopped playing neverwinter but then again it was always F2P that's why I never stayed for very long.

Edited by TX12001rwb17_ESO on January 21, 2015 3:36PM
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a good reason for you to have necroed a thread from 8 months ago when there are already scores of new ones being spammed every hour round here?
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rickey wrote: »
    I dont think this game is going f2p. However, I honestly do not think it's current state is worth the $15 a month.
    No mmo is worth 15 a month today. Its been an inflated charge for years now. The hardware to run mmo's today is alot better than the hardware of 99/2000. Back then the charge was justified. Why is it that a 500 dollar pc today would have cost 3 or 4 thousand dollars back in 99/2000. The hardware is improving faster than the software. Yet we are still paying the sub.fee of 99/2000.