Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Would you like to see a grid based inventory in the game?

• danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    There is always room for improvement, and frankly ZoS looks to the community for ideas. Don't take my word for it though, ask them yourself and they will tell you the same thing.

The point being? Check the poll result. There's no clear majority in favour of making this proposed change, in fact there isn't currently a majority for change at all.

The point being you were trying to imply that all suggestions for additions/improvements to the game are just for the sake of "other games do it" and you are wrong.

That is my point.

Also, if you look my my post above the one you quoted you can see that I am one of those that does not need this particular addition, but I give my reasons why and don't try to to dismiss the OP's suggestions as baseless.

Also my point.
  • Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I don't think it's needed, the list-based inventory is sufficient.
    Razzak wrote: »
    Faugaun wrote: »
    Here's grid layout specific one's

310k downloads updated last in November
    http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info65-InventoryGridView.html

1k downloads updated in November appears to have a grid display and added sort functionality
    http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info677-QualitySort.html

600 downloads updated last June
    http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info583-InventoryGridViewSkinTemplate.html

3000 downloads updated last June, seems to be more TSW style
    http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info452-Backpack.html

Took me 5 min to find those...and guess what? If you don't like what ZOS or the Add-on Developer community produce you still have the capability to create your own add-on so that it behaves exactly the way you like.

There are plenty of existing options to either improve the list system (I use one add-on for this) and grid style addons. There is no reason to classify this as a needed feature.

Of course there is! If even one of us thinks it's needed, the reason is there. After all, we are not Borg.

See my previous
    How is it needed?

1) there is an existing system that functions as designed
    2) if you don't like the existing system there are many viable add-on alternatives, including grid designs

Now I don't want it and you do, but in absolutely no way does it fall into the need category.

That said if it is only a want (not a need) then you and I have different opinions. I place a higher priority on new content, new systems, new other stuff. Your priority is on a bag ui, of which there is already an existing bag ui and many alternatives (via the add-on system). I would imagine much of the player base agrees with a prioritization that does not include duplication of something already present. That said I have been wrong before.

• Vikestart
    Vikestart
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, an optional grid based inventory would really make inventory management seamless
    Well, I don't imagine the addons were incredibly time consuming and expensive to make. You would think ZOS should be able to get this in the game natively pretty darn quickly if they want to. It's nowhere like a completely new UI system.

Again, it could be one of those small Quality of Life things they manage to sneak in with major updates when certain things are done and they have time for things like that.
    Doesn't mean the design is good, which warrants purpose for a debate like this.
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The add-on works just fine.
    The Tomb of FPS Alteration Magic - Everything You Need to Know About FPS
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.
  • Razzak
    Razzak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, an optional grid based inventory would really make inventory management seamless
    Cathexis wrote: »
    The add-on works just fine.

You didn't even read the OP, right?
  • LtCrunch
    LtCrunch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to see this included in the base UI. I've been using the inventory grid view add-on since launch. Just so much quicker and easier to navigate than the default list view.
    NerdSauce Gaming
    Laughs-At-Wounds - Sap tanking since 03/30/14
    ßrandalf - Light armor tanking since 03/03/15
    Brandalf Beer-Belly - Tanking drunk since 12/30/16

• Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vikestart wrote: »
    Well, I don't imagine the addons were incredibly time consuming and expensive to make. You would think ZOS should be able to get this in the game natively pretty darn quickly if they want to. It's nowhere like a completely new UI system.

Again, it could be one of those small Quality of Life things they manage to sneak in with major updates when certain things are done and they have time for things like that.
    Doesn't mean the design is good, which warrants purpose for a debate like this.

They probably weren't and they probably could and if a dev got bored on his lunch break and wanted to program something nice, then by all means. I guess my beef is that there are thousands of small things that we (a collective we, not necessarily you or I or anyone else in particular) want. If they spend time on this then they also might need to spend time on, an in-game clock showing the in game time, an auto-loot that allows the items to be listed in chat windows, a list view for the wayshrine instead of a map view, varying button sizes for skill bars, relocatable skill bars, a better chat box system, a better research interface, a queue so new research starts automatically, or any other suggested idea from and innumerable list.....all of these collectively take time away from things that really matter, like skill balancing, new content, new features, bug fixing.

To boot they implemented a ui modification system (add-on) which allows each and every player to create whatever ui feature they desire (within the limits of the add-on system) and provided a functioning basic UI. Does the ui that they provide do everything perfectly for every player? Of course not! Do I wish they did some things different? Of course! Do my desires take precedence over bigger topics (content, bugs, balancing, features)? Absolutely not! I can at anytime almost always find an add-on to address my preferences (key word) because with 800,000 players other people have similar desires and someone has taken the extra step to help (thanks all you add-on developers). If that should fail, I still have the option to learn how to create my own add-on and do it myself.

That said if a grid style add-on has 310k downloads and my game has only 800k subscribers it might be worth the devs considering to implement their own version. However, they also have the ability to look for add-ons and see what is popular. It doesn't merit a poll, trust me the devs have seen grid style layouts and I bet even a few of them use the grid add-on. If they decide it is such a large issue they have all the info available to see and fix (if it is a problem). Matter of fact I would be unsurprised if they can see the folder and/or file titles of the addons people install and are able to see if any of them are used by enough of the community that they may merit a permenant implementation.

• Vikestart
    Vikestart
    ✭✭✭
    @Faugaun‌ Yeah, I agree with basically everything you just said there.

I don't want it to get in the way of more important things either, but if they do find the time to implement this, I would be happy.

It's a desire, but it doesn't mean I think it's more important than everything else xD I still want to see it implemented though.

I'm just letting them know here that it's something I want, and this discussion thread is an invitation to others to voice their opinion as well. Then Zenimax can decide on their own whether it's worth spending time on or not, and if it's something they can manage to squeeze in.
    Edited by Vikestart on January 4, 2015 6:19PM
  • Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vikestart wrote: »
    @Faugaun‌ Yeah, I agree with basically everything you just said there.

I don't want it to get in the way of more important things either, but if they do find the time to implement this, I would be happy.

It's a desire, but it doesn't mean I think it's more important than everything else xD I still want to see it implemented though.

I'm good with that and I hope you get what you want someday.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't use it, but sure why not add it optionally for those that want it.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• LaughingJack
    LaughingJack
    ✭✭
    what happens when there is say 100+ item types in your inventory?
    gunna be an awfully big grid ... and you want white-space for suffling ...
    why not just ask/petition the Add-On author to make changes?
    Seeker of Shiny Objects
    Vapour Vehiculo De Dolor
    I7-920(2.6GHz), Win7-64, 8GB, HD4870-512, 40-90fps.
  • Razzak
    Razzak
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why should I ask someone that is not a part of ZOS to improve something that ZOS should? Will they get anything from ZOS in return?
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind the way it is but options are options.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why should I ask someone that is not a part of ZOS to improve something that ZOS should?

Because add-on authors make mods that they hope people will use, and they therefore respond to feedback from their users in order to provide what they want.
  • Razzak
    Razzak
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why should I ask someone that is not a part of ZOS to improve something that ZOS should?

Because add-on authors make mods that they hope people will use, and they therefore respond to feedback from their users in order to provide what they want.

I see you are one of the sheep ZOS was counting on.
  • Amsel_McKay
    Amsel_McKay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your photo shows a problem, the icons would have to be way more unique or it would be hard to find an item. List view is actually one thing I like, it would be better if it could show entire inventory in list view (like 3 column or something)
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I see you are one of the sheep ZOS was counting on.

Think that if it makes you feel good, it's not a problem to me - but then nor is the present inventory system nor indeed the default UI generally. It meets my needs perfectly well.

However, add-ons exist for those who prefer modifications to the default UI, as they have done for ES games generally, and it makes sense for those who use such add-ons to let their authors know of any refinements they'd like added to them.
    Edited by Tandor on January 4, 2015 11:13PM
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    List view.

Why not grid view? Because it tells me nothing beside the color and type of item. If I look at a bunch of robes, how do I know which one is the robe of warlock? I'd have to put my mouse over each item to know. Also, I sort my inventory by value a lot.

Grid inventory? No thank you. Get an addon.
    [DC/NA]