Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ZOS: When does the 6 month subscription return?

• Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If I'm subbing I prefer to pay in larger chunks at a reduced monthly cost, the 6 month sub was good for that. Not happy that it was removed. That and Steam players getting a dog pet while those of us who stuck with our beta accounts and have been subbing ever since don't get a pet dog. Not very happy right now.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sindala wrote: »
    XbOne ? :)

Almost. It's Xbone.
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the people who have suggested that they removed the 180-day option so that they could make more money per month, I wonder how much they sell the game time cards to the retailers for? The Bethesda store sells them for $24.00 + $8.00 S&H, which makes them approximately the same price as retail + tax. It makes me wonder if they might not be making more off of the 180-day subscription, due to less overhead, than they are with game time cards.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • malthol
    malthol
    ✭✭✭
    I hope this change isn't permanent or to be forced on us. My account still shows I'm on a 6-month plan. Personally, I'd rather be able to pay for a year at a time.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. I was hoping that they would add a 1 year subscription, too.
  • samthedagger
    samthedagger
    ✭✭
    I will stop playing ESO if it goes F2P.

Let me say that again with a little more emphasis.

I will stop playing ESO if it goes F2P.

I am absolutely 100% committed to this principle. The day that ZOS officially announces the game is going to be F2P, I will cancel my sub and never log in again. I will write ZOS and Besthesda (I know Bethesda are not the developers, but they have a vested interest) and explain exactly why. I will find another P2P MMORPG that is worth my money and consider it a sad chapter in the history of MMORPGs.

ESO is not the only game I play, but it is the primary game I play because it is my favorite MMORPG on the market right now. It is also the only TES MMORPG on the market right now. I love the lore. I love exploring. I love sharing the experience of adventuring in Tamriel with my friends. And I think the ESO mechanics, character build options, and economy in particular are quite special in the MMO market.

For now, my 6 month subscription is still locked in. I will keep playing if I am forced to go down to 3 month. I will keep playing if I am forced to go monthly. But I will NOT play it if any clown in a purple hat with an internet connection can create an account for free and spam my chat, mailbox, and pms asking me to pay money to buy gold. I will not play alongside wallet warriors (not a judgment against them, but they have a plethora of options). I will not grind for something just to get it for "free" while someone with more money than time on their hands blasts me with a $100 worth of equipment and then calls me a n00b. I've played those games. There are millions of them. And I do not like them. It ruins my experience and my fun.
  • maniacal1
    maniacal1
    ✭✭
    It's coming. And we all ( well, most of us ) KNEW it was coming. In fact, I even predicted it would happen around holiday of 2014. I might be off a bit, but I'll bet you money by mid-year 2015 this game will be f2p and probably doing a LOT better than it is now.

No hate, it's just that some games are able to support a sub, and some games are clearly better off as f2p.
    ESO is not the only game I play, but it is the primary game I play because it is my favorite MMORPG on the market right now. It is also the only TES MMORPG on the market right now. I love the lore. I love exploring. I love sharing the experience of adventuring in Tamriel with my friends. And I think the ESO mechanics, character build options, and economy in particular are quite special in the MMO market.

How exactly would that change whether everyone was paying 15 bucks a month or enjoying it for free?
    Edited by maniacal1 on December 31, 2014 6:46AM
  • Denaia
    Denaia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Games aren't free that's a lie. If a games costs 15 euro's per person now, it will still cost 15 euro's per person then. If you don't pay someone else has to and it's purely selfish to expect you can play a game for free while others have to pay for it.

And then ofc you have the fact that not everyone will want to pay and they still need that 15 euro's so that means they need to keep adding more powerful f2p items in the hopes that everyone will spend 15 euro's every month and if possible even more.

F2p is a slippery slope and the worst system in the history of mmo's, if eso goes free I will quit.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played SWTOR both at launch and after it went f2p. It was wayyyyyy more expensive once it was "free." There were SO many disadvantages to playing for "free" that you were almost forced to sub to enjoy the game at all. And then, anything cool you really wanted....you had to pay additional cash for in the cash store anyway. Having a sub sure as hell didn't even get you a discount. So I did both for awhile. And now I don't play that game anymore once I realized what a ridiculous wallet drain I was letting it become. If that happens here...it's very likely that I'm out.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• davidcommons
    davidcommons
    Soul Shriven
    I really think ZOS owes its loyal gamers some clarification, I currently own two, 6 month accounts, to change billing without so much as an email explaining the impact on those users impacted shows how little ZOS values its paying customers.
    They could start by answering the following:

1: firstly are those already on 6 months going to be allowed to continue that way?

2: if accounts are transferred to 90 day will the price change? (180 day is currently cheapest long term option) or is this a backdoor way to price hike customers that pre ordered/committed and stuck it through?.

I live in ESO. I do sometimes play a game called "Real Life" but its no match.
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe they just stopped offering it because no-one or very few took it up?
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gyudan wrote: »
    @bellanca6561n: on the french forum, one of the players was arguing that he'll now have to pay an extra 1€ every month (+7% increase) for his sub.
    Most people would feel bad if their rent or electricity went up 7%.

Okay but 7% of $15 is a lot different than 7% of $1,500. I think this is a false equivalency. Are people actually that concerned over such an insignificant amount?
    :trollin:
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rodario wrote: »
    RazielSR wrote: »
    Nibelaja wrote: »
    I dont want to spread any rumors, but i can remember clearly when EA deleted the 180 days subscription for Warhammer Online that a half year later that lovely game were gone...
    Remember thats just some experience, no official news^^

True. We are all speculating but hey...I really think the most obvious thing to happen would be about what we are talking.

And more if you read the answer from the french mod

ZOS does not say a word because they cant,mainly because should be trur. Of course if this was not true,they would just say "dont panic! Console release is not making the game go f2p" this game,AS WE SAID, wont go f2p. We would shut down servers before that happens"

I don't believe anything ZOS says anymore.

They have lost all credibility with their XP->CP flip flop and will have to work hard to regain my trust.

That was the straw for you? Honestly that has become the expectation for me. I don't think they do these thing maliciously, I think it's more of an issue of them not thinking things through and then only giving us partial information.
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Guppet wrote: »
    I can accept the suggestion that they dumped the 6-month subscription due to comments in here that suggested that people purchase time in a manner that is beneficial due to currency exchange. I can accept the currency exchange rate as a reason all day long, for any possible use of currency exchange.

I can accept the official reason that they dropped the 6-month subscription due to the fact that it was not popular.

However, I believe that while both of these may actually be a justification, neither of them is The Reason.

No one will know why, unless they tell us why. They don't really need to do that though.

Here's another idea. Maybe they have removed it as they are about to increase the subscription charges in the next few months.

That would be some real hubris on their part. There is nothing about ESO that justifies it having a higher cost than other MMOs on the market.
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It would just be nice to have some clarification what this means for those who have existing six months subs - even if they won't give us an full explaination as to why they are doing it. I don't think it makes sense to give your customers less payment options unless it benefits you significantly to do so.
    It means nothing. What do you think you are going to have to pay twice?
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Koensol wrote: »
    It would just be nice to have some clarification what this means for those who have existing six months subs - even if they won't give us an full explaination as to why they are doing it. I don't think it makes sense to give your customers less payment options unless it benefits you significantly to do so.
    The sad part is that ZOS actually thinks people are naive enough to believe the reason of "people didn't like the 6 month options as much as the others".

Seriously, first of all its quite logical that a 6 month options is less popular. People generally dont like to be obliged to such a thing for half a year. Secondly, it gives ZOS no benefit at all, so there must be another reason. Everyone can realize this. ZOS should stop pretending that they can feed us bullcrap and expect us to willingly swallow it. This just smells of nasty things to come, and we all know it.

Why is it so hard for companies to be transparant? Its been like this since your overly protective beta program ZOS.
    I agree. And this practice has been nothing but a headache for them since the beginning. Look at the beta for instance when there was "leaked footage" and the uproar that happened from that. Look at the posts on these forums over the last 8 months. This company sucks at communicating to us clearly what it's intent is. I don't even bother to watch various things that come from Matt Firor or any of the devs anymore because it's just a song and dance number. They distract you with all the wonderful new things but never address anything that is of actual concern to the players.

This isn't 1999 and there are more than 3 options for MMOs, which means that we as the players actually hold all the power by switching to a different game. The sooner they realize this the better, because we are only going to tolerate so much before we simply move on.
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @bellanca6561n: on the french forum, one of the players was arguing that he'll now have to pay an extra 1€ every month (+7% increase) for his sub.

Okay but 7% of $15 is a lot different than 7% of $1,500. I think this is a false equivalency. Are people actually that concerned over such an insignificant amount?

I once had a woman get mad at me and argue with me over a penny.
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That's because people are ridiculous.
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

That's because people are ridiculous.

But it does show that penny pinchers will argue over a penny and nearly lynch you over $6 (or whatever it is I don't remember the math the other guy used)
  • Oolou
    Oolou
    ✭✭✭
    I wrote to ask why the change and received this reply:

“We found that our players strongly preferred the 30- and 90-day subscription options, so we have retired the 180-day one. We still offer the 30- and 90-day subscription options”

Thank You

"The Elder Scrolls Online"

So ... when I replied, also stating that if they had added an annual sub option, I would use it, I asked that my discontent with the change would be added to any feedback being collected, if any was being collected. I'll probably be sending some IG feedback (using the /feedback in the IG chat) too.

I'd suggest those who are unhappy with the change also make their feelings known through the /feedback route. It may not make a difference, but at least we will have tried.
  • dietlime
    dietlime
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well Bethesda has been pretty cool about customer service. My guess is they got tired of pro-rating 6-month refunds.
  • Kevinmon
    Kevinmon
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS should just be transparent instead of hiding everything. Tell us if it's going F2P now so everyone can unsubscribe now instead of waiting.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kevinmon wrote: »
    ZOS should just be transparent instead of hiding everything. Tell us if it's going F2P now so everyone can unsubscribe now instead of waiting.

I believe you have just illustrated the exact reason for their silence. They'll stealth this in with no warning whatsoever and THEN advertise the heck out of it to draw in new players as the old ones who supported and helped build this game depart.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Kupoking
    Kupoking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will unsub the day they announce it's going f2p.
  • Bloodystab
    Bloodystab
    ✭✭✭✭
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/feature/9258/A-Look-Back-at-2014.html

We was part of this ZOS, dont let us down!

But we need official and real information couse as good as i remember: Rift , Age of Conan , TERA , Warhammer and Fallen Earth all removed their 6 month option shortly before going F2P. Trends speak for themselves.
  • Artis
    Artis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AngryNord wrote: »
    Maybe they just stopped offering it because no-one or very few took it up?

So what's the purpose of stopping offering it to those who did take it?
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Bloodystab wrote: »
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/feature/9258/A-Look-Back-at-2014.html

We was part of this ZOS, dont let us down!

But we need official and real information couse as good as i remember: Rift , Age of Conan , TERA , Warhammer and Fallen Earth all removed their 6 month option shortly before going F2P. Trends speak for themselves.

People keep saying this but it isnt true. Warhammer removed the 6 month option right before they closed not before they went f2p. Rift was still selling the 6 month option in 2013. AOC still sells 6 month subs. Tera while it doesnt have a 6 month sub has a yearly sub option. Please check into this stuff before you parrot what other people say,
  • Digiman
    Digiman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For now, my 6 month subscription is still locked in. I will keep playing if I am forced to go down to 3 month. I will keep playing if I am forced to go monthly. But I will NOT play it if any clown in a purple hat with an internet connection can create an account for free and spam my chat, mailbox, and pms asking me to pay money to buy gold. I will not play alongside wallet warriors (not a judgment against them, but they have a plethora of options). I will not grind for something just to get it for "free" while someone with more money than time on their hands blasts me with a $100 worth of equipment and then calls me a n00b. I've played those games. There are millions of them. And I do not like them. It ruins my experience and my fun.

What MMO's have you been playing? Most of the ones I do play don't force you to buy gear to compete and they basically nerf down everything for the F2P to get them to pay to play?

Anyway I am certainly ticked off this silent change to the system and am certainly more upset by the lack of feedback response to the ESO staff in response to this.

I had no problem paying 6 month subscription as I saved 6 dollars and wouldn't have to worry about paying the bill for a while.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a response back from Customer Service to a direct inquiry:
    Response By Email (Insaf) (01/02/2015 08:15 AM)
    Greetings,

Thank you for contacting The Elder Scrolls Online Team. First, I would like to apologize for not having been able to reply to you earlier in order to assist you.

We found that our players strongly preferred the 30- and 90-day subscription options, so we have retired the 180-day one. We still offer the 30- and 90-day subscription options.

Wishing you a happy New Year!

Warm Regards,

Insaf.
    The Elder Scrolls Online Team

I also replied letting them know that I hope that Zenimax reconsiders. I will write a /feedback sometime in the next couple of weeks, before my game time expires. I don't have to decide what to do for a while, but unless I win some raffle or someone gifts me with game time, I think I will hold out for at least a 180-day subscription before I do anything more permanent than the occasional game time.
    Edited by Elsonso on January 2, 2015 6:37PM