Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO always needs and access code?

MadSuperHero
MadSuperHero
Soul Shriven
Hey well the title explains it all really. Every single time I log in, it asks for an access code. This isn't game breaking or anything, but it can get annoying. Anyone know if its my pc? or a bug?
  • LarsS
    LarsS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may be due to your internet connection. If the address changes between sessions, you need a new access code. Search for info on the forum or contact ZOS to solve the problem.
    GM for The Daggerfall Authority EU PC
  • ZOS_PierreL
    ZOS_PierreL
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello all,

As LarsS said, if the IP address has changed recently, players will need a new code for the computer or device once again to be able to log in. This will occur even if they are using the same machine they have always used.

If you have the possibility, we would recommend to configure a static IP to avoid any "access code" mesage in the future.

This can also happen for the website if you recently deleted your caches.
    Edited by ZOS_PierreL on December 25, 2014 3:44PM
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited Social Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Static or dynamic IP address is often a choice that is not available to the player or may require additional payment to the Internet Service Provider.

@ZOS_PierreL‌: I believe that there should be an option to disable that safety feature to prevent situations like @MadSuperHero‌'s. His mailbox must be flooded with mails from @ZOS by now. You may have already discussed this internally and I know that it also leads to safety issues but I strongly believe that the choice should ultimately be the player's.
    Wololo.
  • Elf_Boy
    Elf_Boy
    ✭✭✭
    Use ipchicken.com to track your ip address and see if it is changing.

Even dynamic accounts should only change IP if the modem has been power cycled.

When I was with comcast I had kept a dynamic for over a year at one point.

** Asus Crosshair VI Hero, Ryzen 1800x, 64GB DDR4 @ 3000, GTX 1080 ti, 4K Samsung 3d Display m.2 Sata 3 Boot Drive, m.2 x4 nvme Game Drive **
  • slinkybinxb14a_ESO
    I paid for my subscription yesterday and here I still sit, unable to play because of the access code. I received one yesterday, entered it at account page, but when I go to start the game, it wants me to enter the one I got hours ago, which doesn't work anymore. Still waiting for new one. I wrote support and phone support yesterday. No answers yet. :(
    Edited by slinkybinxb14a_ESO on December 27, 2014 6:34PM
  • slinkybinxb14a_ESO
    Still waiting on an access code.
  • Deeprave
    Deeprave
    ✭✭
    Likewise.

Moreover, the modem I am using to connect to the internet has a static IPv4 address, so it can't be a "new" IP address to all previous times.

I think it is fair to say that something broke. :smile:
  • Aionari
    Aionari
    ✭✭
    I have the same problem, my IP address is static and the ESO login still wants a new access code on every login attempt.

My public IP address has been the same for several years, this is a new behaviour from ESO.
    Infernum aliud est populus!
  • aeowulf
    aeowulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not just the IP it checks, but the computer hardware. A change to some BIOS settings is often enough to trigger it.

But I seem to remember there is a file too that can trigger it - make sure you are owner & have full permission to your ESO game folder and my docs folder.