The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

CoP vs Rune Focus

Ommamar
Ommamar
✭✭✭✭
So I have both of these on my main Templar and I fluctuate between which one I prefer. Circle of protection gives good armor and spell resist plus 30 points in healing regeneration plus it has a huge radius. Rune of focus also gives good armor and spell resists plus with the Templar passives my heals do 30% more but the small radius makes it difficult to use in fights where there are a lot of movement. Any opinion based on usage of them?
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    +Health Regeneration is generally worthless, even Restoring Aura's hefty +80% makes little difference. Rune Focus provides much more armour and spell resistance than Circle of Protection does and can be morphed to either give you even more healing or restore some magicka.

I'd only use Circle of Protection if I want to help allies (although they never seem to stand in them), but Combat Prayer is generally better/easier to use for that.
  • Ommamar
    Ommamar
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are cases where Circle of Protection will give more armor and spell resistance but it is situational. The thing I like about CoP is that huge radius and I think health regeneration can be useful but not going to use it and not have to heal.

I do like Rune focus but as you pointed out people won't even stay in the larger radius of CoP. Also I think a lot of people don't know the benefits of RF and not reasonable to expect them to stay in place particularly on the boss fights.
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    Rune focus is for the selfish templars. It only affects the caster.
    Circle of Protection is for the whole party. Also it gives 1k Armor and Spell resistance, although tooltip says 500 ;)
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• StoHelit
    StoHelit
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for small offtop but seriously. Why won't people stand in CoP? Especially in fights with Daedra/Undead? I remember reading a comment a while ago - some dps was complaining about "clueless" pugs he wiped with...something along the lines of "...and the healer was dropping some white circles right under the boss, who even does that wtf noob".

/sigh

I'm 99% certain the healer was just trying to give his tank maximum protection, but who cares eh
  • Ommamar
    Ommamar
    ✭✭✭✭
    StoHelit wrote: »
    Sorry for small offtop but seriously. Why won't people stand in CoP? Especially in fights with Daedra/Undead? I remember reading a comment a while ago - some dps was complaining about "clueless" pugs he wiped with...something along the lines of "...and the healer was dropping some white circles right under the boss, who even does that wtf noob".

/sigh

I'm 99% certain the healer was just trying to give his tank maximum protection, but who cares eh

Yes the plight of a healer any bad play is blamed on us when things go badly. The complaint might of been with the positioning but more likely the player didn't understand how a healers skill work.

As for Rune focus being selfish, maybe but sometimes it is better to keep yourself alive so you can keep others alive. It has its uses usually drop it heal and move as the radius is just way to small.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alcast wrote: »
    Circle of Protection is for the whole party. Also it gives 1k Armor and Spell resistance, although tooltip says 500 ;)

Are you sure it gives 1000 all the time? I know the character sheet shows the increase but then so do other conditional buffs like 2H "Rally". It only gives a 20% weapon damage increase to 2H skills, even though the character sheet shows weapon damage increasing, making you believe it increases all skills damage.
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alcast wrote: »

Are you sure it gives 1000 all the time? I know the character sheet shows the increase but then so do other conditional buffs like 2H "Rally". It only gives a 20% weapon damage increase to 2H skills, even though the character sheet shows weapon damage increasing, making you believe it increases all skills damage.

It gives 1000 all the time. You can see this by comparing the damage you take under the effects of CoP with Blessing of Protection against non-daedra/undead.

Anyways, I like Channelled Focus because it helps me manage my magicka, which means I can heal more freely, which means more survivability for the whole team. No one ever stands in CoP unless they couldn't move for whatever reason. I'd much rather use Combat Prayer to support allies.